Sony patents pre-owned games block

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve1982

Re: Sony patents pre-owned games block

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am

if that turns out to be true

Goodbye CEX (computer exchange), the best second hand retail ever

it could also be the final nail in the coffin for GAME

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 am

Steve1982 wrote: CEX (computer exchange), the best second hand retail ever

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:07 am

DPrinny wrote:
that was C+p from the comments section of the article

not my own words

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 am

to me it comes across as if that is the road sony are going to go down

they might aswell just not bother releasing a new console.

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 am

The customer would just over power it anyway. nobody would buy it = sony go into panic mode = sony is forced to re think its stupidity = a new normal ps4 would be released within the 1st 12 months.

thats why none of the article makes any sense to me what so ever

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 am

This will be a problem for private trading i.e/ forums etc, but I could really care less about 2nd hand chains going down the drain. Really, the rate in which retail prices plummet with new releases, why would you pay £25 for a used copy of dead space 3, when its 19.99 new online ?

It will be a problem though, for limited released games that would be harder to source down the line.

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 am

samhain81 wrote:This will be a problem for private trading i.e/ forums etc, but I could really care less about 2nd hand chains going down the drain. Really, the rate in which retail prices plummet with new releases, why would you pay £25 for a used copy of dead space 3, when its 19.99 new online ?

It will be a problem though, for limited released games that would be harder to source down the line.
blockbuster Game Rentals Comes to mind

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 am

What about the future?

people like to Retro Collect once a generation is over. Picking up games from cash converters cash generators etc, that means if true we could kiss goodbye to all that as of the end of next gen onwards

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 am

interesting... I haven't read the full article, but I guess this signs the new PS4 won't be download only then?? Or have I misunderstood...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 am

slacey1070 wrote:interesting... I haven't read the full article, but I guess this signs the new PS4 won't be download only then?? Or have I misunderstood...
After all the money they've piled into Blu Ray there's no way I can see that happening

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 am

Steve1982 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
that was C+p from the comments section of the article

not my own words
Well why post them as your own?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 am

Steve1982 wrote:What about the future?

people like to Retro Collect once a generation is over. Picking up games from cash converters cash generators etc, that means if true we could kiss goodbye to all that as of the end of next gen onwards
Yeah good point, be interesting to see what happens. I can 'kinda' see why they want to do this, the second hand market must obviously cost game companies a ton of money. Its been happening from day 1 though, what next ? Cant sell on a dvd on ebay as its second hand ? Just think its impossible to try and stop, if Sony put in some special 'chip' to do this then surely people will abandon this new console.

I think prices on consoles need to be cheaper. Saying that even on iOS games are dirt cheap yet you STILL get people getting dodgy copies despite games costing a quid or two.

Its down to the consumers at the end of the day, if they dont support this new device due to things like this then Sony will change their view, if people keep buying it then i'm sure eventually other companies would do something similar.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am

psj3809 wrote:
Steve1982 wrote:What about the future?

Yeah good point, be interesting to see what happens. I can 'kinda' see why they want to do this, the second hand market must obviously cost game companies a ton of money. Its been happening from day 1 though, what next ? Cant sell on a dvd on ebay as its second hand ? Just think its impossible to try and stop, if Sony put in some special 'chip' to do this then surely people will abandon this new console.

I think prices on consoles need to be cheaper. Saying that even on iOS games are dirt cheap yet you STILL get people getting dodgy copies despite games costing a quid or two.

Its down to the consumers at the end of the day, if they dont support this new device due to things like this then Sony will change their view, if people keep buying it then i'm sure eventually other companies would do something similar.
Wonder what would happen if the retailers dug their heels in and said they won't stock the new games as Sony is costing them income? There's certainly no way I would ever by a system with this lockout in it, since such a vast majority of my collection is second hand. What would happen in 10 years if Sony pulls out the games market and shuts the PS Network down?

I can't even see how this is legal. Imagine if Ford said you were no longer allowed to re sell your car?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 am

Negative Creep wrote:Wonder what would happen if the retailers dug their heels in and said they won't stock the new games as Sony is costing them income? There's certainly no way I would ever by a system with this lockout in it, since such a vast majority of my collection is second hand. What would happen in 10 years if Sony pulls out the games market and shuts the PS Network down?

I can't even see how this is legal. Imagine if Ford said you were no longer allowed to re sell your car?
It's totally 100% legal, and it's pretty much how sales through PSN work already. Sure, there's nothing to stop you selling on boxes, physical media, etc. but they, in themselves, don't constitute the less tangible part of intellectual property that is the game.

It's also what the publishers and developers want; they get nothing out of second hand sales and would much rather everyone bought new games. They're generally not going to concern themselves with what might happen a decade down the line either, as no game has a commercial life of anything like that.