3 favourite Platformers in the Mega-Drive?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

3 favourite Platformers in the Mega-Drive?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 am

The MD seemed to have a ton of Platformers, back in the day (as did most consoles).

But what we your favourite 3 and why?

samhain81

Re: 3 favourite Platformers in the Mega-Drive?

Post by samhain81 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:01 am

World of Illusion - One of the best co-op games on the system, and still one of the best co-op games to this day.

Lion King - Encapsulated the feel of the movie very well, and used a great mixture of platforming elements like puzzle solving.

Revenge of Shinobi - The music, and variety of levels and bosses, make this one of the best platformers on the system

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 am

I'm gonna go one per series on this one so my list isn't dominated by Sonic:

3. Wiz n' Liz - Tremendous fun and one of the most underrated multiplayer games of the 16 bit generation. Breakneck speed, and imaginative gameplay, it's brilliant.

2. James Pond: Robocod - Far superior to the original game and the sequel, and much different in terms of gameplay. How could you not feel Christmassy after playing this game?

1. Sonic 3&Knuckles - the best Sonic game ever, and a great selection of characters who each offered something different to the way you play the game. Not to mention the superb soundtrack, one of the best on the system. And some of the boss fights were just epic.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:36 am

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - The best Sonic game ever, hands down.

The Lion King - Really faithful to the movie, the music in the game was awesome and the levels were solid.

Gunstar Heroes - Does this count? If so then it's an obvious choice! Astounding graphics and really cool gameplay

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:41 am

3. Turrican: As a massive fan of the Turrican series I would be doing the world an injustice not including this. Yes it is startlingly hard and surpassed graphically but the level design, music and style is simply astounding.

2. Wiz n Liz: Mrs Tachi and I spent literally months playing this together and as a single player it is fun but in coop it is unsurpassed for pure giggles :)

1. Ghouls n Ghosts: Do I really need to repeat the thousands of positive comments this game has received over the past 2 decades? Simply put it is am amazing, challenging but immensely satisfying game.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 am

Aladdin, I had this on the SNES first, but swapped to the Megadrive version, which just seemed so much better, beautiful to look at, sounds great, and is certainly one of the most fun platformers I have played of that era

Alisia Dragoon, Although the Lightning bolt could make things too easy at times, I played this for ages, love everything about this game.

Rocket Knight Adventures Awesome game, looks lovely, really fast paced, some great enemies, like the walkers and very varied locales.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 am

Surprised at the amount of votes for The Lion King. I played it recently and found that the controls were sluggish and the convoluted backgrounds made picking out enemies and platforms needlessly difficult.

Each to their own, I guess.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 am

Mickey Mania
Sonic 2
Wiz n Liz

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 am

I don't really like platformers but that said I will go with:

Wonderboy 3
Sonic 2
Super Bubble Bobble

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 am

"In" what did it have some in built?

What I like to play on it, that never came out on other machnes or was a port, this could easliy be three Sonic games
Pluseman - Playing a translated ROM of it and you can see it oozes quality, its also very hard
Kid Chameleon - Yet to clear this bugger
Rocket Knight adventures - Became obsessed with this years ago and mastered it (done it on all difficulties), now I cant get past first boss

Sonics
Sonic Megamix - Cheating a bit here as its a ROM hack of Sonic, but unlike most its bloody good
Sonic Heroes 2 - ---------------------"-----------------------------, but unlike the official game it takes its name off its a bloody good one
Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Toss up between his and Sonic 2

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am

James Pond 3: Operation Starfish
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

In no particular order of course. JP3 just had a massive gameworld and loads of levels with a fair few hidden collectables, tonnes of replayability and some fun little puzzles. RKA was just a cute fun half boss 'em up with a fun gameplay style and S3& K was just purely awesome in it's speed and size.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 pm

No love for "Chuck-Rock"?

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 pm

sonic 2 - doesn't really need an explanation.

castle of illusion - for it's sheer class and platforming perfection.

ghouls 'n' ghosts - some areas are infuriating if you don't have the right weapon but oh so satisfying when you get through an area.

special mentions:quackshot and greendog.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Aladdin is so spongy to play. Ugh, typical Shiny.

For me I love Sonic 1 and 2 and plenty of the amazing fun Castle of Illusion. Kid Chameleon was loads of fun too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Gunstar Heroes gets another mention. It's a fantastic, frantic game and although I think it's more 'run 'n' gun' it does have platform elements and is better than many pure platformers.

Quackshot. Like playing a Donald Duck in an Indiana Jones world. Plays superbly and looks brilliant.

Flashback - Animation and atmosphere that I'd not seen before and it still impresses. The sci-fi story influences, and a few bits kncked, from to Running Man, Blade Runner, Total Recall and more. Utterly absorbing platform gaming.