Strange/annoying design decisions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Strange/annoying design decisions

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 am

Making the Action Max

The passwords on NES games

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:05 pm

CD-i - Controller ports on the back? Who thought that was a good idea and have they been sectioned yet?

N64 - I love it to bits but Nintendo's devotion to carts did hurt it.

DS - Why was there no analogue slider? Looking at SM64 DS I suspect the idea was that the touchscreen could be used as a surrogate analogue stick but I don't think it really worked that well.

Mega Drive - Could I have controller leads longer than a mouse's tongue, please? Oh, I see - I can buy lead extensions for even more money. How shrewd of you.

C64GS/GX4000 - Who thought these were a good idea? Really?

Amstrad Em@iler Phone - Play Spectrum games? In black and white? With a phone keypad? I'll take four of them!

PlayStation - Did anyone else find the harder-than-diamond plastic used on the d-pad tore the flesh off their thumbs after extended play?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm

killbot wrote: PlayStation - Did anyone else find the harder-than-diamond plastic used on the d-pad tore the flesh off their thumbs after extended play?
Nah, not really, but FFS lazily sticking in two analogue sticks onto an existing design then REUSING IT FOR YEARS really got my goat.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 pm

killbot wrote: PlayStation - Did anyone else find the harder-than-diamond plastic used on the d-pad tore the flesh off their thumbs after extended play?
Man up!
Real men continue ill the pain stops, others use thimbles

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 pm

CIH wrote:
Nah, not really, but FFS lazily sticking in two analogue sticks onto an existing design then REUSING IT FOR YEARS really got my goat.
I dunno, I like the continuinity and familiarity of the pad with each PS revision. Of course, it helps that I actually get on with the controller itself as opposed to hating it like many do. Could have always had that banana-shaped nightmare that was first shown with the PS3 and nobody would want that.
I had it happen once during a particularly long Capcom Vs SNK 2 session on the PS2 but I just ignored it and soldiered on :lol: Might have also happened when playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and trying to pull off Mika's 360-motion throws.
killbot wrote: DS - Why was there no analogue slider? Looking at SM64 DS I suspect the idea was that the touchscreen could be used as a surrogate analogue stick but I don't think it really worked that well.
Yeah, those touch-screen SM64 DS controls were horrible so I used the d-pad. Playing the game through the 3DS gives proper analogue/slider control at last though :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:18 pm

killbot wrote:PlayStation - Did anyone else find the harder-than-diamond plastic used on the d-pad tore the flesh off their thumbs after extended play?
I'd wager the plastic used on the Dreamcast analogue stick is even more skin-shredding (at least from personal experience) - there's a reason everyone else rubber-coats them.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Nintendo should have just gone the whole hog and added straps to the GameCube, so the celebs they got to endorse/promote it could then think of it as a fashionable GameBag - would have been great for Retro themed raves!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Then again, the Gamecube handle makes it a rather useful weapon in the event of a zombie apocalypse......

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Might get a hounding here but, the NES and Master System controllers. Who thought it was a good idea to make them square? How is that going to be comfortable to hold for any longer than 10 minutes?

Overlays for the Jaguar. Most of the time these were just an afterthought. If Atari had done away with the telephone keypad the controller could have been more compact.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 pm

skodathegreat wrote:Might get a hounding here but, the NES and Master System controllers. Who thought it was a good idea to make them square? How is that going to be comfortable to hold for any longer than 10 minutes?

Overlays for the Jaguar. Most of the time these were just an afterthought. If Atari had done away with the telephone keypad the controller could have been more compact.
I didn't hate the Jag controller as much as some do, but I never really understood the need for the keypad. It made weapon selecting in Doom and Wolfenstein marginally easier, I suppose, but was that worth doubling the size of the controller for?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 pm

killbot wrote:
skodathegreat wrote:Might get a hounding here but, the NES and Master System controllers. Who thought it was a good idea to make them square? How is that going to be comfortable to hold for any longer than 10 minutes?

I didn't hate the Jag controller as much as some do, but I never really understood the need for the keypad. It made weapon selecting in Doom and Wolfenstein marginally easier, I suppose, but was that worth doubling the size of the controller for?
Yeah, I quite liked the controller and console but never understood the keypad. also not a fan of rubbery buttons (like you get on a TV remote) on games controllers. I like my buttons to have a definite click.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:30 pm

killbot wrote:

It makes games like Theme Park, Syndicate, Iron Soldier 1&2, Baldies, Battlemorph and Hoverstrike CD much better. Their controls would be very awkward and clunky without the keypad.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:17 pm

The Jag pad keypad isn't readily accessible though. You have to move a thumb over to hit your button and its not an easy selection once you do that - there's nothing really to help register you have the right button without looking down at it. Modern pads have the sense to position things so they're more readily available and identifiable without looking.

The GC handle does have one useful function - you can't push the console back so far it bends the cables at the back. I've broken a few RF cables and had the odd dodgy connection on power cables thanks to forced bending caused by shoving the system back against the wall due to limited space. May help air circulation too.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:14 pm

The Laird wrote:
killbot wrote:

It makes games like Theme Park, Syndicate, Iron Soldier 1&2, Baldies, Battlemorph and Hoverstrike CD much better. Their controls would be very awkward and clunky without the keypad.
Having played Syndicate on both SNES and PC I'd say it would be clunky regardless of the keypad. That game especially really demands a mouse.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 am

Cancelling Resident evil (Gameboy colour) and bringing out Resident evil gaiden in its place