Strange/annoying design decisions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nokgod

Re: Strange/annoying design decisions

Post by nokgod » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:The GameCube's handle as modelled by Paris Hilton...

Oh, and the console's low capacity storage media when the rest of the world had moved on to using DVDs.
Just beat me to the handle on the GC.... at least its not noticable when under the telly.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Gren

Post by Gren » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 pm

nokgod wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:The GameCube's handle as modelled by Paris Hilton...

Oh, and the console's low capacity storage media when the rest of the world had moved on to using DVDs.
Just beat me to the handle on the GC.... at least its not noticable when under the telly.
I think I'm gonna have to bite here......

You're saying the GC is somehow "poorer" because it has a handle allowing it to be picked up? Please explain this :D
Fresh Spoo?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Gren wrote:You're saying the GC is somehow "poorer" because it has a handle allowing it to be picked up? Please explain this :D
I don't believe myself or nokgod ever made such a claim.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Image
A slagbag holding a free swagbag? :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 pm

whats the guy in the Woodsman T-shirt standing behind her thinking about?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Gren

Post by Gren » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Gren wrote:You're saying the GC is somehow "poorer" because it has a handle allowing it to be picked up? Please explain this :D
Fair enough :)

So why did you pick the GC handle for inclusion here?! I'm guessing "strange" - but ultimately useful....
Fresh Spoo?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Gren wrote:So why did you pick the GC handle for inclusion here?! I'm guessing "strange"
Yep.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Not strictly hardware-related, but I'm just wondering why that stupid, delaying, cartoon 'run' animation is used in Double Dragon Neon, it would've been way better without it. Can't we just double-tap and run, eh?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Gren wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Fair enough :)

So why did you pick the GC handle for inclusion here?! I'm guessing "strange" - but ultimately useful....

It is a strange design decision. How often do you carry a console around the room with you? They might as well have given it castors

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm

I think the cube is a really sexy machine you guys just can't "handle" it

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Cardboard boxes for games. Easy to damage, hence the relative rarity of complete SNES, NES etc games. Having said that the Saturn ones were a complete disaster as well

Cartridges without end labels
The old style PC/Amiga boxes worked best, very sturdy unless stepped on. But I also don't get why they were used for cartridge based systems, Mega Drive style cases worked better in my opinion.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:The GameCube's handle as modelled by Paris Hilton and Christina Aguilera...

Ok, normally, this is the point at which I'd make a sarcastic comment about Nintendo....

....but this time it's just, well.... what's the fun of firing at a target that isnt even moving?

As for strange/annoying design decisions, mine is: *EVERYTHING* about most modern FPS games. How did the genre go from the colorful, exciting chaos of Doom, to the brown & grey linear boredom that is, well, so very many games in that genre? I cant even watch LPs of games like that, and that's saying something, since I generally like LPs and can even watch someone grinding in an RPG if the narration is good. But no amount of hilarious jokes and such will keep me from falling asleep if a modern FPS is happening.

ulala

Post by ulala » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:37 am

press start to play

please let me use any button

the sixaxis pad, what a load of junk and its 5 inch charging cable it came with

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 am

RUOK wrote:I think the cube is a really sexy machine you guys just can't "handle" it
Couldn't agree more...but the handle is definitely odd. As mentioned above....useful.....but.... odd
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:39 am

nokgod wrote:
RUOK wrote:I think the cube is a really sexy machine you guys just can't "handle" it
Couldn't agree more...but the handle is definitely odd. As mentioned above....useful.....but.... odd
I don't find the handle at all useful, just a pain in the bum! The Gamecube is a great piece of kit but it doesn't sit well on my shelf because of the handle. If I want to take it anywhere I put it in a carry case or a holdall. I don't need an in-built handle.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs