Strange/annoying design decisions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: Strange/annoying design decisions

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 am

This rare and unusual beast.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 am

The Jaguar pad, a disaster (just like the machine itself) of biblical proportions, the worst pad of all time but epic in comedy value.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 am

The Dreamcast controller's cable is annoying even to this day, but the actual controller isn't so bad. You can clip the cable underneath, out of the way, but that shows that the designers knew it was a bad idea, so included a bodge.

But much worse than that is the CD32 controller. It is a plasticky, fragile mess. The design is awkward, uncomfortable to hold and use for any length of time and it looks terrible. I'm not sure what they based the ergonomic design on, but it wasn't the human hand.

But to me the worst design was the MDII. It just looks cheap and rubbish. Combine it with that awful side mount CD caddy and it actually started to look like a Chinese knock off.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm

The decision to make the N64's analogue stick out of all the least durable materials in the world.

The fact the pause button for the Master System is on the console, not the controller.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Cartridges that don't have the game title on the top annoy me!

Can I also add Dreamcast hand cases to the crap game case list, they teeth always seem to snap

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Obvious ones - C64 and Amstrad consoles - why?

Less obvious is the timer in Epic on the 'miggy - class game totally ruined. Large game area, lots to see and do - and a ridiculously short timer that meant you didn't get a chance to.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:The fact the pause button for the Master System is on the console, not the controller.
damn,beaten to it.that's the first thing i thought of,it's also on the converter as well.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:The fact the pause button for the Master System is on the console, not the controller.
damn,beaten to it.that's the first thing i thought of,it's also on the converter as well.

Plus the controller lead is about 1 metre in length

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:31 pm

The 3DO only having one controller port, so you had to plug controller 2 into the top of controller 1, the times I loosened my brothers pad if he was beating me at Samurai Showdown or Super SFII :shock:
"Time fades even legend..."

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Sixaxis L2 and R2 triggers with that annoying curve. Who the hell thought that up? I superglued those clip on triggers to them. Looks ugly but a least it's more comfy.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Atari ST having controller ports underneath the machine, meaning that continuous switching of mouse/joystick (for 2 player games) meant that the ports knackered
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Nintendo stubbornly sticking to carts during the design of the N64. Then half-heartedly pretending they really gave a censored about us with the 64DD.

As for software; I'll have to say the current trend of having everything that was available in-game at one point (cheats, bonus costumes, God modes, etc) as paid-for unlockables. That's just mean-spirited.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:17 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Atari ST having controller ports underneath the machine, meaning that continuous switching of mouse/joystick (for 2 player games) meant that the ports knackered
I bought an extender from day 1 so that never mattered to me

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:55 pm

amstrad (after buying Sir C out) rubbing our noses in it by switching the pins round in the joystick meaning that we could only use their joystick (which was utter censored). Until someone brought a dongle out that was.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 pm

The GameCube's handle as modelled by Paris Hilton and Christina Aguilera...

Oh, and the console's low capacity storage media when the rest of the world had moved on to using DVDs.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac