Best Joystick

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:10 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Ish wrote:You can buy Competition Pro's with a USB lead now. Perfect for emulation I reckon:
I wish those things worked with VICEX on the Xbox.
Hack one so that the switches in the stick connect to the contacts in an old X-Box pad. Pretty straightforward conversion job.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

samuelpepys

Post by samuelpepys » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:00 pm

What was the name of the game on the Quickshot joystick box? I vaguely remember it looking like some kind of side scroller a la scramble style...Perhaps it was only a mock up???

Nonetheless me and my mates were pretty impressed in 1984. Does anyone else remember the screenshot on the box?

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Like to cast my vote for the microswitched version of the Competition Pro, tough, responsive and not too expensive.
The worst has to be the pair of joysticks I had on the Beeb, you gripped them like a flight stick, they had a small fiddly stick on top and were kind of analogue, the stick would just fall to the side if you let go!

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:32 pm

I'll vote for the cheetah mach+, with the quickshot II turbo a close 2nd

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Konix Speedking.
Had one for the CPC

Athough I have one of them Competition Pro mini's for the Amiga aswell as a knackered Speedking now.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Hack one so that the switches in the stick connect to the contacts in an old X-Box pad. Pretty straightforward conversion job.
I've seen someone do something like this online, but that requires using a dreaded soldering iron, and, believe me, that's a really, really bad idea. Me + soldering iron = pain, burns and not a lot else.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

MrPiquet

Post by MrPiquet » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:15 am

Just had to be the Konix Speedking... The most comfortable JS I have ever had... Tried to love its sibling (the Navigator) but ALWAYS ended up back with my trusty Speedking! Reckon i would have liked the BUG as well... Never got my greasy mitts on a unit to try though... :cry:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 am

Amiga - Quickshot 2 turbo or Quickshot 3 although I got through one of these every three months on average and they were a bit of a gay red colour.

Also had the Quickshot arcade style controller but found it awkward to use. Would have prefered the joystick and buttons the opposite way round.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:18 am

Early on I used to use Competition Pro for my speccy but that evolved to a Quickshot/cheetah in the later life of my speccy. When upgraded to a ST i used a Quickshot/cheetah.

Interestingly when I use a joystick like a Quickshot/cheetah I use my right hand to hold the shaft and left hand to use the base buttons. When I use a joystick in a arcade system I use my left hand to hold the joystick and my right to fire.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 am

golgo13 wrote:Early on I used to use Competition Pro for my speccy but that evolved to a Quickshot/cheetah in the later life of my speccy. When upgraded to a ST i used a Quickshot/cheetah.

Interestingly when I use a joystick like a Quickshot/cheetah I use my right hand to hold the shaft and left hand to use the base buttons. When I use a joystick in a arcade system I use my left hand to hold the joystick and my right to fire.
I think there was a huge difference between the quickshots and the Cheetah.

I found the Cheetahs terrible, they lasted about a month before the contacts got bent too far and started to work badly. I spent most of the time with them stripped down cleaning and straightening the metal contacts inside them.

In contrast Quickshots were microswitched and so much better for it. Unfortunatley they were completely plastic and therefore broke too easily internally but at least you could guarentee that you were gonna move when you used them.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:13 pm

Anyone agree that the worst joystick ever was the one bundled free with the Spectrum +2?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kuckkuck

Post by kuckkuck » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:44 am

i like wico joysticks most. they are absolute perfect and much more better than a competion pro. give them a try, execpt the grey one, when you find one. :)

alexhighnumber

Re:

Post by alexhighnumber » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:55 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone agree that the worst joystick ever was the one bundled free with the Spectrum +2?
No the one that came with the original C64 was the worst ever, most people have never seen one as they fell apart so quickly!

Awkard fire button, uncomfortable shaft, cheap plastic and the innards would last only weeks with the gentlist of use.

The +2 one was pretty dire, but I think only the second worst.

Best was zipstick of course (original, not the ones they still make), comp pro second

- BTW, are the competition pro mini's any good to use?

0 okay 0,1

Post by 0 okay 0,1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Wow, a whole two pages and no one has mentioned the "arcade joystick" by "suzo"
It was a one buttoned regulation arcade stick that looked exactly the same as the stick and ball moulded from the said muzzies.

It was micro switched and worked on spectrum and commodore and probaly amstrad.
It was so robust it out lasted a ZX spectrum+ and a +3 only to be sold off with a C64.
This thing was tough and nice to use!!

The only criticism was no sucker pads, the base was small (to aviod lever abuse)
It cost about £10 in 1986.

The worst was a Cheetah one that came with the ZX spectrum plus, the auto fire switch was U/S the moment your parents paid for the whole bundle a Currys probaly. :wink:
A true retrolamer

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:52 pm

TAC 2 of course. The usual winner in Datormagazin's yearly joystick test.