Any "Fatal Fury" fans on here?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

K1NGARTH3R

Re: Any "Fatal Fury" fans on here?

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 am

I love the original on MVS platform, nostalgia as a big part in that... :D

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:42 pm

I have the PAL version of the first one on the Mega Drive. It is bloody awful. It's a pity, because the game looks awesome to me.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Never like Fatal Fury (or Art of Fighting for that matter)

The problem is...the movement just doesn't feel fluid at all. Yes, the jumping between planes was unique, and some of the character designs are quite inspired - but it just feels like you are trudging through mud, very sluggish.

Fighting games generally need to be quite fast paced - and if you play FF after a session on SF II, it just becomes a chore. Ditto Pitfighter after a sess of Mortal Kombat!

Speed is such a massive element, look at what happened to Super Street Fighter II : The New Challengers - lots of players the world over complained that it was too slow - hence the birth of SSF2 Turbo, not long after.
It's the same with most of the Vs games - you have an option for Standard or Turbo speed.

Garou on the other hand, has beautiful graphics, amusing character intro's and win poses (I doubt I will ever get tired of seeing Rock's Angel Wings) nice music and ALL the characters have very unique personalities - and B Jenet rocks.

Not technically a Fatal Fury game, but The King of Fighters is where it's all at.

I do like Fatal Fury 3 though

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 am

I love Fatal Fury. I remember at East Midlands Airport when I was a kid they had a Neo Geo arcade machine in the departure lounge and I would put a fair few quid into it while waiting for our flight. To this day it's one of my most nostalgic games.

Ive never really "learnt" any SNK fighting games. I just love having a bash on them. A girl I went out with for a couple of years could hand my arse to me on Real Bout on the PS1 whenever we played that because she played the series a lot!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:12 am

I like playing the original FF for nostalgia, I'm not a huge fan of the game though as its pretty ropey gameplay wise compared to SFII. Fatal Fury Special on the other hand fixed a lot of what I didn't like about the original and is still a favourite of mine to this day - nice character selection, tighter controls and gameplay etc. Real Bout 1 and Special however are two of the best 2D fighters for the Neo Geo. I picked up the AES versions earlier this year and I've remembered why I enjoy these games so much - really nice animations on the large character rosters, excellent soundtracks and backgrounds and again improved controls and fighting systems over the previous games. Those two are up there with the best SNK fighters in my opinion.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 am

I love Real Bout 2 - it's the most unknown I think largely due to it not really appearing on anything much at the time of release. It's got proper combo's, with chaining and juggles, it's ultra-smooth animation, ace backgrounds and (on Neo CD) some phenomenal music. I also had the AES version, the music was no where near the Neo CD tunes, but the graphics are even better. It's a fantastic game, I prefer it to Mark of the Wolves.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:31 am

Not a fan any more, but back in the day we had the first one in our local arcade and I played the sh!t out of it. Me and anither guy had a brilliant rivalry on it, and the scores being saved really helped. We got to a point that if you didn't get all perfects all the way through there was no chance of getting a high score.And we did. Repeatedly. Andy Bogard ftw.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 am

Fatal Fury = poor man's RotR

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

I only had the Mega Drive cart of the first game, which left me pretty underwhelmed IMO.

I do have one of the King Of Fighters compilations, on the PS2 I think, which I did enjoy much more (I am not too familiar with this series of games in all honesty)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am

koopa42 wrote:Fatal Fury = poor man's RotR
Rise of the Robots?!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am

Mootown wrote:
Rise of the Robots?!
Yep

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 am

koopa42 wrote:
Mootown wrote:
Rise of the Robots?!
Yep
Interesting.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

koopa42 wrote:
Mootown wrote:
Rise of the Robots?!
Yep

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I've played FF, FF2, FF Special and FF3 on the PS2 Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol.1 and Fatal Fury Special is probably my favourite of those games. I've also got the first Real Bout on the Virtual Console (sadly haven't yet had the time to play it properly) and Fatal Fury Wild Ambition for the Jap PS1 (haven't played that one yet but it's 3D so may be crap).

I have to admit that I don't really like the plane-switching mechanic so my affection for the series suffers as a result.

One day I hope to get Battle Archives Vol.2 for the Jap PS2 since that has the three Real Bout games on one disc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:
One day I hope to get Battle Archives Vol.2 for the Jap PS2 since that has the three Real Bout games on one disc.
Also out in the US.
I got my copy for 99p from CashCon