Cheating sports games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Cheating sports games?

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 pm

What sports games have you played over the years that blatantly cheat or do something impossible to defeat you when you're winning? We've all seen/heard of modern FIFA supposedly cheating or impossible CPU goals in Pro Evo but what other examples are there?

I thought of this when I was playing Goalstorm on the PS1 the other week. Every now and then, the CPU team would produce a terminator of a player who survived all tackles and avoided every slide-tackle to run straight through my whole team and score a goal. I'm not sure if it was 'cheating' as such but whenever it happened, it would always happen when I was ahead in terms of goals and something just didn't look/feel 'right' when it happened.

Thoughts?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SexyWayne

Re: Cheating sports games?

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 am

Always getting caught offside in Fifa, when it's a legit offside you get the replay with the fancy lines, when you know you weren't offside.. guess what.. no replay.. :roll:
Last edited by SexyWayne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I could never decide if Virtua Striker 2 on the DC was cheating or just plain broken!?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Joey wrote:I could never decide if Virtua Striker 2 on the DC was cheating or just plain broken!?
Little bit of both from my experience.

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm

SexyWayne wrote:Always getting caught offside in Fifa, when it's a legit offside you get the replay with the fancy lines, when you know you weren't offside.. guess what.. no replay.. :roll:
I'm fairly sure I played a recentish FIFA that got the penalty rule wrong too, a striker took the kick hit the post and put in the rebound.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Most of the recent Football Manager games are buggers for scoring 90th min equalizers and such, the game even resorts to introducing "super keepers" in matches where it does not want you to win.....Sports Interactive deny all this.....but we know they are in there :wink:

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Flint wrote:
SexyWayne wrote:Always getting caught offside in Fifa, when it's a legit offside you get the replay with the fancy lines, when you know you weren't offside.. guess what.. no replay.. :roll:
I'm fairly sure I played a recentish FIFA that got the penalty rule wrong too, a striker took the kick hit the post and put in the rebound.
In a shootout he's not allowed to put the rebound in, but in normal play as soon as the ball is kicked... game on

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 am

SexyWayne wrote:
Flint wrote:I'm fairly sure I played a recentish FIFA that got the penalty rule wrong too, a striker took the kick hit the post and put in the rebound.
In a shootout he's not allowed to put the rebound in, but in normal play as soon as the ball is kicked... game on
not if another player hasn't touched it. if it's come off the post, the taker can't touch it until somebody else has.
don't you remember the "hilarious" arsenal pires/henry thing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rssr9a3xPU
pires touched the ball from the kick, for henry to score (that was the plan), but henry wasn't on the same wavelength... and pires couldn't touch the ball again.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Also should mention F1 2010 for a nasty glitch I spotted on the Hungarian GP (probably not exclusive to that race) where the lead cars never pitted for the whole race and weren't punished for it. It made catching and passing them impossible since the player will get punished for not pitting :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Megamixer wrote:Also should mention F1 2010 for a nasty glitch I spotted on the Hungarian GP (probably not exclusive to that race) where the lead cars never pitted for the whole race and weren't punished for it. It made catching and passing them impossible since the player will get punished for not pitting :roll:
That game is pretty infamous for its many glitches and intentional 'corner cutting' on the devs part.

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 am

I went through several PS2 pads while playing PES on the PS2 out of sheer frustration and rage at the CPU cheating and haven't touched it on the current gen. FIFA hides its cheating a bit better but it's still there - the amount of stoppage-time goals that come when the ball's magically fallen to a CPU player after tackling them several times is uncanny :roll:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Megamixer wrote:Also should mention F1 2010 for a nasty glitch I spotted on the Hungarian GP (probably not exclusive to that race) where the lead cars never pitted for the whole race and weren't punished for it. It made catching and passing them impossible since the player will get punished for not pitting :roll:
Wasn't there something similar on the first PS Formula 1?

ulala

Post by ulala » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes, this is an obvious one.

Also in Fifa, when you are battering a team and score a goal, the rubber banding kicks in - suddenly your players feel like they are running through treacle and Stoke are playing like Barca. You know a goal is coming and there is usually nothing you can do about it - not even foul.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

The Ridge Racer games cheat a lot. I played a lot of "Rage Racer" on the PS1 and it was ridiculous on there. Bump a CPU car from behind and they would rocket forward while you came to a near stop. If a CPU car bumped you from behind, you'd come to a near stop, with no effect to the CPU car. Lots and lots of other stuff similar.

The NBA Jam games actually put the CPU cheating as an option but in the latest one for PS3 (well, not the Tournament one but the actual retail release), the game just cheats like crazy after the first quarter. Suddenly all your shots get blocked, the CPU can't miss, and so on.

Tabe