Why do people keep playing old games online?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fightersmegamix

Why do people keep playing old games online?

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 am

I tried out the multiplayer on 007 bloodstone last night. It was ok and I was suprised I got a game it's been out for 2 years and didn't really sell that well. It was the usual situation with these things, three level 50 players and four level 1. The level 50's took delight in killing the noobs, hammering us with grenade launchers as we respawned, great fun all round :)

I decided to check who it was that kept killing us, turns out they are no. 1 on the leaderboards and have played 15,400 games! Each game lasts 10 minutes, thats more than 2,500 hours playing the same game online :o There are only about 8 maps and maybe 10 people playing at any one time. What on earth keeps them going? They just sit there night after night, killing anyone unfortunate enough to try out the multiplayer. I guess they must enjoy the game, but all they do is put everyone else off playing.

What's the most nuts online stats you've seen?

koopa42

Re: Why do people keep playing old games online?

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 am

If BF2:MC was still up on the 360? I'd still be playing it now.... everyday. The game is the best PvP game that has ever been available IMO ..... that's why I would still play it. Towards the end of my playing it? I'd have to level down to get a game because there was only about 7 top ranked players online .... on the planet and yes, I was one of them. I miss this game more than cheese snaps.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 am

Suppose it's the same as asking why people still play old games offline; they just really enjoy them.

I think it's nice to see people sticking with a game they like rather than dumping it after a week or two and moving onto the next one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 am

I'm almost 3 years into Bad Company 2 online and it's still to get boring.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Lil Chillbil

Post by Lil Chillbil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 am

I still play cod 2 online and that was the first shooter this gen had to offer 7 years ago
pm me I'm always up for a multiplayer session for the following games
Gears of war 1 2 3
Call of duty 2 3 4
All of the halos
Call of duty modern warefare 2
Shadowrun

James A

Post by James A » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:I'm almost 3 years into Bad Company 2 online and it's still to get boring.
True something that sadly couldn't be said for Battlefield 3.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm still playing Big Red Racing on Wireplay

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Because people enjoy it more then newer stuff would be a good guess!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I tried out the multiplayer on 007 bloodstone last night. It was ok and I was suprised I got a game it's been out for 2 years and didn't really sell that well. It was the usual situation with these things, three level 50 players and four level 1. The level 50's took delight in killing the noobs, hammering us with grenade launchers as we respawned, great fun all round :)

I decided to check who it was that kept killing us, turns out they are no. 1 on the leaderboards and have played 15,400 games! Each game lasts 10 minutes, thats more than 2,500 hours playing the same game online :o There are only about 8 maps and maybe 10 people playing at any one time. What on earth keeps them going? They just sit there night after night, killing anyone unfortunate enough to try out the multiplayer. I guess they must enjoy the game, but all they do is put everyone else off playing.

What's the most nuts online stats you've seen?
The second to last sentence in the last paragraph, immediately reminded me of the hilarious World of Warcraft South Park episode. Has anybody else seen it?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 pm

just finished an interview with a certain super-douper rts from 1997 which is still being played online :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote: the hilarious World of Warcraft South Park episode. Has anybody else seen it?
Yes. It's up there with the best and probably only second to Fingerbang LOL