Rick Dangerous.. the old, the new

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ChipTune

Rick Dangerous.. the old, the new

Post by ChipTune » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:49 pm

As Rick Dangerous is one of my favourite platformers I decided to look into the remakes and ports available.

The wii homebrew version is absolutely excellent.. and the port for DS is great too (looking especially marvellous on a DSi XL).

I also discovered a game I had never seen before.. Lao's Quest.. a fanmade sequel of sorts, with a touch of La Mulana thrown in.

I covered these games on my blog, so head over and check out my article..

http://retrospiritgames.blogspot.co.uk/ ... erous.html

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Rick Dangerous.. the old, the new

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 pm

thanks for the info Chippers

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 pm

I genuinely believed the Developer of Rick Dangerous hated other people. Why else would he program such a horrifically unfair and punishing game? :evil:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Freestyler wrote:I genuinely believed the Developer of Rick Dangerous hated other people. Why else would he program such a horrifically unfair and punishing game? :evil:
The version with the cheats was fun though...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Rick Dangerous, a tedious memory test for masochists!

....yet somehow I have happy memories of playing this, I must have had a lot more patience for this sort of thing years ago.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 pm

only took four minutes for some anal individual to start spouting 'wrong thread' stuff..

the rest of you, thanks for joining the conversation..

Im sick of topics that are totally suited to the games section being told to be moved to the DEAD blog thread that NOBODY except other bloggers read, just because I have a link to some additional info on my blog site.

I've already got several people now discussing the Rick Dangerous game so just get off my back and relax ok. JESUS!!!

Anyway back on topic.. Rick Dangerous is a wonderful game.. it's strange that I keep coming back to it, as it is brutally unfair.. more so than even Super Meat Boy.. and in all the years I have been playing it I have never got further than the second level..

I like rick dangerous 2 as well but I cant seem to get the Rick Dangerous 2 DS port to work.. I followed the instructions to the letter but no joy. :(

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Great read there, ChipTune.

Huge fan of the series over here, can't remember how many joysticks I broke whilst playing that game. I never managed to get past the second level on the first game sadly. Something I don't think I'll ever better :(

There are a few tricky jumps even on the first level that I'd consider unfair, but I guess that's the nature of Rick Dangerous. :lol:

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 am

From the little I played of Rick Dangerous, it always seemed like the ancestor to stuff like I Wanna Be The Guy, or Super Meat Boy. Basically trying to do the same room again and again, only if you die TOO much, you have to do the entire game again.

Yeah, censored that game.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 am

ChipTune wrote:Anyway back on topic.. Rick Dangerous is a wonderful game.. it's strange that I keep coming back to it, as it is brutally unfair.. more so than even Super Meat Boy.. and in all the years I have been playing it I have never got further than the second level..

I like rick dangerous 2 as well but I cant seem to get the Rick Dangerous 2 DS port to work.. I followed the instructions to the letter but no joy. :(
My memories of the Amiga game at least have it as being horrifically unfair. To the point where I really did feel like the guy had it in for you, the player. That's probably a stretch, but it felt like it! :P

The Meat Boy comparison is less accurate I think, since even though that game's a frustrating experience it's still bound by its internal design. It doesn't actively cheat you with unforeseen and unforeseeable deaths. It gives you a split second to react to some genuinely fiendish level design. No, it's much more like I Wanna Be The Guy in terms of having to die at an obstacle before you're supposed to know that you were supposed to avoid it.

Much like the 3D Sonic games then.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

tachi

Post by tachi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 am

I loved both the originals and have them on C64 still.
I did finish them both back in the day but these days I'd be stuffed.
The cheap kills aplenny (such as falling down onto spikes you were unable to see til it was too late and had to simply learn by mistake) would not be accepted in a game these days but back then was the norm lol
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 am

tachi wrote:I loved both the originals and have them on C64 still.
I did finish them both back in the day but these days I'd be stuffed.
The cheap kills aplenny (such as falling down onto spikes you were unable to see til it was too late and had to simply learn by mistake) would not be accepted in a game these days but back then was the norm lol
But as Bobinator said, there are recent games that have gone back to that level of difficulty and instant kills. I like the RD games a lot, and enjoyed writing an article on them. But I still find them tough, and in some ways it feels more rewarding to make progress than in a game where you have huge energy bars or shields to help you.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am

Those games had so much charm and character, but I really hated the instadeath mechanics. I guess that was part of the point: it was a trial-and-error memory test pretending to be a platform game. However, I really wish they'd given you the chance to react to the traps—just a fraction of a second that could have saved you. That would have, for me, transformed the games into a tight, demanding platform effort.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

I was just now playing the commodore 64 version and the level ends half way through and goes to Egypt.. was this normal? Was it due to lack of memory in the c64 or something?

Maybe that's why I remember getting far into level 2.. because they are cut down versions of the amiga levels. :o

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Those games had so much charm and character, but I really hated the instadeath mechanics. I guess that was part of the point: it was a trial-and-error memory test pretending to be a platform game. However, I really wish they'd given you the chance to react to the traps—just a fraction of a second that could have saved you. That would have, for me, transformed the games into a tight, demanding platform effort.
Agreed. Get annoyed by the insta-deaths and you're missing the whole point. It wasn't about quick reactions, it was a memory test; much like many games tbh. Personally I preferred the far more skilfull POP, where you could leap out of danger if you had quick wits/reactions. That wasn't the kind of game RD was though, so to criticise it for such is like criticising chess for being turn-based.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"