the gamecube

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skodathegreat

Re: the gamecube

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Freestyler wrote:
snowkatt wrote:i never really got the complaining about games coming on 2 discs this and last generation
its only a minor inconvinience and not exactlya deal breaker
hell during the ps 1 era games prided themselves on being multi disc to show off just how much content they had
ff 7 came on 3 discs
ff 8 and 9 on 4 discs
x files on 4 discs
riven on a massive 5 discs
and phantasmagoria on an unbelievble 7 discs ( pc and console version )
Indeed, I'm sure I remember some monster nine-disc Amiga games back in the day.
Disc swapping was just "the thing." It never really was an issue until you didn't have to do it because of the eventual popularity of HDD installs and CDs.
I agree, I only really became an issue when a higher capacity media was available. You just have to look at the current gen for the same arguement (360 DVD vs PS3 Blu-ray).

I don't know though, the end of a disc always gave me a sense of achievement, especially with games like FF7.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm

I do have to admit that the Gamecube is my favourite console out of it's generation (and with some ideals on what's retro or not - subject for another discussion - not this topic, the Gamecube became "retro" with the launch of the Wii-U as it is now 2 generations old...)

Personally I love playing Phantasy Star Online and Mario Kart Double Dash the most (Myself and a friend still have near-weekly LAN games of both games), but the Metroid titles are just as great. It's also pretty much the only console to get every single Resident Evil game up to 4.

Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes is another great remake, although the Resident Evil one does get more attention.
Where logic won't work, I will

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Nintendo had a great console but, for the large part, sat with their thumbs up their arses and watched it pass on by. I believe that the GameCube had the best games of it's generation (though, to be fair, I was always jealous of the GTA and Pro Evolution Soccer games), but there simply wasn't enough to it. I agree with Shigeru Miyamoto in that it "hindered innovation", nor do I feel that any of it's sequels were better than their N64 prequels (with the possible exception of Mario Golf). Of course, I liked the GameCube, but I was happy and glad when the Wii arrived.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 am

Roo wrote:Nintendo had a great console but, for the large part, sat with their thumbs up their arses and watched it pass on by. I believe that the GameCube had the best games of it's generation (though, to be fair, I was always jealous of the GTA and Pro Evolution Soccer games), but there simply wasn't enough to it. I agree with Shigeru Miyamoto in that it "hindered innovation", nor do I feel that any of it's sequels were better than their N64 prequels (with the possible exception of Mario Golf). Of course, I liked the GameCube, but I was happy and glad when the Wii arrived.
What do you mean they let it pass by? Not picking a fight, just curious as to what you meant.

I think it's a fair comment to say over all the sequels didn't improve the N64 games that much (apart from graphics obviously), though I'd say the quality of the games were still very high. And there were a few games that most definitely did improve on the N64 versions, such as Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Also while the basic hardware didn't seem very innovative, I think they did experiment a fair bit with some of their franchises, for better or worse. Doubledash added another dimension to Mario Kart. Windwaker was the most different Zelda yet, while the often forgotten about Four Swords Adventures was a new Zelda experience if played as intended. Mario had the Fludd in Mario Sunshine. Kirby tried his hand at racing. And Starfox Adventures, Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong made bold changes to those franchise's traditional gameplay.

Luigi's Mansion was an all knew IP with unique gameplay, Wario Ware Inc was also quite unique as well as completely mental! :lol: And then there was Animal Crossing and Pikmin which were also new and different for Nintedno consoles.

So I don't think the Gamecube was necessarily a ho-hum Nintendo experience.
Last edited by pratty on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:24 am

skodathegreat wrote:
Freestyler wrote:
snowkatt wrote:i never really got the complaining about games coming on 2 discs this and last generation
its only a minor inconvinience and not exactlya deal breaker
hell during the ps 1 era games prided themselves on being multi disc to show off just how much content they had
ff 7 came on 3 discs
ff 8 and 9 on 4 discs
x files on 4 discs
riven on a massive 5 discs
and phantasmagoria on an unbelievble 7 discs ( pc and console version )
Indeed, I'm sure I remember some monster nine-disc Amiga games back in the day.
Disc swapping was just "the thing." It never really was an issue until you didn't have to do it because of the eventual popularity of HDD installs and CDs.
I agree, I only really became an issue when a higher capacity media was available. You just have to look at the current gen for the same arguement (360 DVD vs PS3 Blu-ray).

I don't know though, the end of a disc always gave me a sense of achievement, especially with games like FF7.
I remember playing FFVII and eventually swapping the first disc out after a mammoth fifty hours! I felt so satisfied I remember popping the second disc in expecting another epic amount of content! :D

Ten hours later I was on disc three with a sense of "being robbed" of forty hours of disc two content. Silly! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Superjoe

Post by Superjoe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 am

I got a GC when it first came out, and although its a great console like the Dreamcast it never stood a chance against the PS2.
Not because the PS2 was a "better" console, rather because Sony threw millions at advertising and exclusive games etc.

As is the norm with a Nintendo console it was home to special games that were unique and still highly playable today.
Its why I bought a Wii U, you just know it will be host to something not found anywere else.

I think the Panasonic Q is the best looking console ever made and I have have one set up next to my PS3, 360, and Wii U because its so shiny and awesome !

http://www.superjoe.net/newgamesroom/ga ... 818%29.JPG
my games collection,

www.superjoe.net

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:49 am

nakamura wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:t

it suffered in the same way as the original xbox, the ps2 was technically inferior to both of these machines but had a huge install base, so games were made for the ps2 first then ported to the other two. both the xbox and GC had some complicated pixel shader stuff to take advantage of - very rarely used by third party companies.
I'm not really sure this was the case. So many PS2 games are incredible to look at and not often from the biggest devs. Yes Capcom, Konami, Sony etc pushed the machine a long way but companies like EA certainly didn't.
I would say the PS2 is a fraction behind the cube overall which is a fraction behind the Xbox and the reason that certain titles were poor ports was because they were developed by lazy devs. PS2 can also do things the others can't and visa versa.

If you look at EA, their own library was a mixed bag. Burnout and Black were visually immense yet Fifa and NFS were both ugly a jerky. This has nothing to do with PS2 being the lead platform but more do to with poor development IMO.

So I would say that Gamecube had poor ports because of lazy development regardless of the lead platform.
well true to certain extent, but i was involved in making some multi platform titles and the assets were all authored for ps2 resolutions. this wasn't lazy, but just a way to make the game affordable to create on 3 totally different platforms. if it worked on ps2 (fit into memory) you know it'd work on the cube and xbox.

also anything designed specifically to take advantage of the ps2's bandwidth would always look better.

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 am

I have 4 or 5 gamecubes, having picked one up in launch week - i just could not walk past my local Game that was running the star wars game without drooling.Everything about the machine is great, the games look wonderful and stand up today still. The pad was fantastic too, and the wavebird still gets use.

However the games are wonderful, super monkey ball, mario kart DD, star fox, pikmin, fzero, mario, luigi so many AAA games.

Double dash is probably my favorite game ever, and the best value £15 i have ever spent.

Saying that, i picked up a gamecube from the Gamestation £1 bargain bin last year!

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 am

Great system!

Have had so much fun playing the Monkey Ball games with mates on the Cube..

Loved the Star Wars games as well as Metroid Prime..

Also thought Mario Kart Double Dash was a nice twist on the usual MK format..

My son and I still love playing through the Pikmin games..

Cube is a great little machine imho..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 am

nakamura wrote:If you look at EA, their own library was a mixed bag. Burnout and Black were visually immense yet Fifa and NFS were both ugly a jerky. This has nothing to do with PS2 being the lead platform but more do to with poor development IMO.
I played a hell of a lot of Most Wanted and underground 2 when they came out, I thought MW was an incredible looking game, definitely can't remember any jerkiness. I've got all NFS games, so should check them out again at some point.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

I never liked the system at the time, i had a PS2 and that was that, i was really arrogant and thought anything other than a PS2 was a joke, sigh, now i realise just how bloody wrong i was and because of that i missed out on playing many great GameCube and Xbox games. I really like the system now, its brillient, the controller has strange shaped buttons, and i dont like the d-pad, but otherwise a great system i'm now glad that i own.

I bought my black GameCube few years ago, but still need to get round to playing some games on it beyond Rogue Squadrom 3, the only other games i want for it beyond what i have already are Veautiful Joe, Killer 7, Luigi's Mansion and the other RE games i dont have.

These are the game i have for it so far;
Eternal Darkness
Blood Omen 2
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4
Rogue Squadron 3
Loony Tunes: Back In Action
Red Faction 2
P.N.03
Lost Kingdoms
Starfox Adventure

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Freestyler wrote:I remember playing FFVII and eventually swapping the first disc out after a mammoth fifty hours! I felt so satisfied I remember popping the second disc in expecting another epic amount of content! :D

Ten hours later I was on disc three with a sense of "being robbed" of forty hours of disc two content. Silly! :lol:
Disc three was even shorter.........

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 am

The Cube is possibly my favourite console. I've trimmed my collection recently - it's mostly all killer no filler!

Metroid Prime 1& 2
Mario kart: Double Dash
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
F-Zero GX
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda: Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness
Viewtiful Joe
Soul Calibur 2
Burnout 2
Freedom Fighters
Rogue Squadron
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:20 am

HEAVYface wrote:
well true to certain extent, but i was involved in making some multi platform titles and the assets were all authored for ps2 resolutions. this wasn't lazy, but just a way to make the game affordable to create on 3 totally different platforms. if it worked on ps2 (fit into memory) you know it'd work on the cube and xbox.

also anything designed specifically to take advantage of the ps2's bandwidth would always look better.
Lazy is probably harsh you are correct but I just feel that in most cases poor development let multi format games down. If you look at games like Darkwatch, Project Snowblind and Tomb Raider Anniversary to name a couple, they are not blighted with the same issues. Perhaps choosing the most complex machine as lead which also had a few issues in other areas was a poor idea. But one I can see for finance reasons.
The Angry Jock wrote:
nakamura wrote:If you look at EA, their own library was a mixed bag. Burnout and Black were visually immense yet Fifa and NFS were both ugly a jerky. This has nothing to do with PS2 being the lead platform but more do to with poor development IMO.
I played a hell of a lot of Most Wanted and underground 2 when they came out, I thought MW was an incredible looking game, definitely can't remember any jerkiness. I've got all NFS games, so should check them out again at some point.
I remember the first time I saw PS2 Most Wanted. I thought someone had been sick over the screen. None of the NFS games had decent frame rate and often scruffy visuals hidden by a bit of blurring. I do love NFS Underground though and that is hardly smooth but better than MW.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 am

nakamura wrote:I remember the first time I saw PS2 Most Wanted. I thought someone had been sick over the screen. None of the NFS games had decent frame rate and often scruffy visuals hidden by a bit of blurring. I do love NFS Underground though and that is hardly smooth but better than MW.
Odd, If it was as you described I wouldn't have played it, not with other better options available. I spent a lot of time on Underground 2 on the PS2 as my mate was also playing it (the only racing game I've even seen him play) so we built cars to compete, I tried the GC version and it was almost unplayable as I could hardly see anything, from what I remember, but then I got it after MW so it was a big step backwards I thought.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........