the gamecube

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

the gamecube

Post by snowkatt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:25 am

after the n64 lets discuss its follow up
the gamecube
the cube is without a doubt one of nintendo's greatest consoles in my opinion
even its rather odd controller fits perfectly in your hand and is easy to use i just wish it had 4 shoulder buttons wth l and r smaller and z and uh z 2 present and bigger

its library is great and varied and its graphics and water effects amazing

so what do you think about the cube ?
like it loath it ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

GigaPepsiMan

Re: the gamecube

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 am

It's my favourite console to the point where I'd go out of my way to play the gamecube version of a game that was already on PS2 and xbox.

Obvious must haves:
Pikmin 1 & 2
Metroid Prime 1& 2
Mario kart: Double Dash
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
F-Zero GX
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda: Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness
Viewtiful Joe
Chibi-Robo
Soul Calibur 2
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Animal Crossing
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Beyond Good & Evil
Super Monkey Ball

Some Gems:
Burnout 1&2
King Kong
Spider-Man 2
WWE Day of Reckoning 2
Beach Spikers
007 Everything or Nothing
Killer 7
P.N.03
Freedom Fighters
Wario World

Probably worth trying all these games, even the multiformat games are worth playing on any format.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 am

It's one of my favourite machines. There's something infinitely lovable about that black cube. I think it appeals to my symmetry and order nature :D

I still play the GC and I too will often seek out the GC version of a game rather than play on the PS2 or Xbox versions. The only problem I have with this is that they always cost more!

The GC is often underrated and considered the worst console of it's generation. Sure, it has it's 'issues', most platforms do, but I don't think that's true. In fact I think the GC was the most pure games machine of that generation because it played games. And it played games. And it played more games. That's it. No gimmicks. Or noisy dvd playback.

Gamecube = thumbs up from me 8)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

I like it. I only picked one up last year (for the Resi Evil remake) but now im finding some cracking stuff on it. Its also the machine thay I find the most games for around here in carboots, etc so for me its cheap to collect for.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am

Love it! :D

Lot's of great games, it did miss out on a few multiplats like PES and GTA, but it made up for it with some superb exclusives. Lot's of great multiplayer goodness aswell.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 am

Probably my favourite Nintendo console, though admittedly a lot of the games i played on it were ports. It's worth owning one just for Resident Evil remake, Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness. I'd recommend buying a GBA player for it as well and experience all your favourite GBA games through half decent speakers.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 am

A Gameboy player is worth investing as you play upto 4 player 'Pacman Vs' + plays gameboy & gameboy advance carts.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:27 am

I bought one when it was fairly new (still have it) although since that was a period where my interest in games had declined somewhat, I never got into it that much. It still had some great games, including the superb and rather scary Resident Evil remake. Where I feel they went wrong was to make it look to "toy" like and not include DVD playback. Yes it cut piracy, but by that point a lot of people wanted a machine for games and films

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am

I merely like the Gamecube. It is hampered by lack of storage on discs and poor audio quality. It does have some great games however, worth owning a system for in fact.

I only own a handful of titles for the system.

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 0
Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda Twilight Princess
Zelda Four Swords
Wave Race
Starfox Assault
Starfox Adventures
Mario Kart
Luigi's Mansion
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes.

That is my lot, Metroid games are also must haves but I own the Wii Trilogy. Really want Eternal Darkness also.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 am

I have three of them, dunno how! :lol:

(Well I do actually, it's the same reason I have five GBAs - they just seem to get foisted upon me by the function tester at the BHF - but that's not as "amusing" a statement.)

I do like the Cube, even though I'm not the biggest fan of its controller. The problem it has, as has already been touched upon, is finding the good games for a good price.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I sold mine a couple of months ago after having had it from new. It was good 'n' all but I haven't missed it at all and wasn't expecting to either.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I was one of those people who only had a 'cube when everybody else had PS2's, Xboxes etc. so I was very envious of people playing games like GTA when I couldn't. However, I had more than enough exclusive games to be getting on with and I arguably enjoyed many of them more than some of the games I missed out on and played at a later date when I got the other consoles from the same gen.

I still have a fairly large collection and quite a few pricy games that I've had since new and kept mint (Tales of Symphonia for example). These days I play all multi-plat stuff on PS2/Xbox and only really focus on picking up and keeping GC exclusive games that interest me. Almost completed the collection of 1st party Nintendo releases too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:I was one of those people who only had a 'cube when everybody else had PS2's, Xboxes etc. so I was very envious of people playing games like GTA when I couldn't. However, I had more than enough exclusive games to be getting on with and I arguably enjoyed many of them more than some of the games I missed out on and played at a later date when I got the other consoles from the same gen.

I still have a fairly large collection and quite a few pricy games that I've had since new and kept mint (Tales of Symphonia for example).
This is exactly the same as me.

Probably my favourite console of all time, I'd love a full collection for it, but I'm off buying for a long while.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Great console. Bought one on PAL launch then some time later a US one from Goblin Games (anyone remember them). I think it was the first console that I really started importing for & absolutely loved Pikmin 1&2 & Chibi Robo amongst many others. And I fully enjoyed playing Tactics Ogre on it via the GB Player.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 pm

It was the last TV console I bought on launch day, and the last time a launch excited me that much, got the machine, Luigi's Mansion, and Rogue Leader, both titles blew me away, added some great titles over the next few years, the Metroids, The Pikmins which are still brilliant today, Doshin and Animal Crossing.

The most played title would have to be Mario Smash Football, which my nephew still insists on playing whenever he comes round, he was five when he started playing it, and is now ten, with no sign of stopping.

Never liked the controller, the Z button would cause my finger to contort to reach it, and I found that C controller hard on the thumb, do like the Wavebird, for the freedom though.