Is the Saturn and underrated console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Is the Saturn and underrated console?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 am

Some KILLER games were on that console. Man, I remember Sega having a HUGE presence in the Arcades in the mid 90's and the Saturn released some of those games.

So, is it an underrated console or not?

Mootown

Re: Is the Saturn and underrated console?

Post by Mootown » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:43 am

It was when it launched to the general public - it was the black sheep. I remember being strictly Saturn (japanese) and my PS1 owning mates would be like 'ughhh that looks sh*t, you need a playstation and Tekken' However I remember all the good Sega Saturn games getting fantastic reviews. It's one of those things - critical acclaim not equalling sales. Plus the market was transitioning then into more 'adult' games - ie Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Tekken - and less people wanted nice arcadey bright games, even though most of them had lots of depth.

Nowadays, it's 'cool' to be into the Saturn and name drop some of the more well known 'rare' games like Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Saga.

To be honest, even though I love the Saturn (it's the one system I still collect for) I do think someone coming to it new would wonder what all the fuss was all about - it's quite a 'had to be there' system in my opinion. I remember being genuinely blown away by Burning Rangers - show it someone now and they'd think it was a piece of crap.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 am

Mootown wrote:It was when it launched to the general public - it was the black sheep. I remember being strictly Saturn (japanese) and my PS1 owning mates would be like 'ughhh that looks sh*t, you need a playstation and Tekken' However I remember all the good Sega Saturn games getting fantastic reviews. It's one of those things - critical acclaim not equalling sales. Plus the market was transitioning then into more 'adult' games - ie Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Tekken - and less people wanted nice arcadey bright games, even though most of them had lots of depth.

Nowadays, it's 'cool' to be into the Saturn and name drop some of the more well known 'rare' games like Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Saga.

To be honest, even though I love the Saturn (it's the one system I still collect for) I do think someone coming to it new would wonder what all the fuss was all about - it's quite a 'had to be there' system in my opinion. I remember being genuinely blown away by Burning Rangers - show it someone now and they'd think it was a piece of crap.

But there's still that charm to most of the Saturn library, that charm which is lost to most other software libraries of other systems.

You had to be an arcade gamer in the 90's to appreciate the Saturn's purpose, at least in the domestic side of things

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 am

Most definately!

When I could see the Jaguar was going to die back in the day I wanted another console and chose the Saturn over the PS1 simply because it had all the arcade conversions and I loved my coin-ops, especially Sega ones. I built up a big collection back then despite most of my friends owning a PS1 and always thought it was the better machine. I sold it once I discovered women and clubbing but bought one again back in 2005. It really deserved to be more successful back in the day, its a shame we never got a lot of its best games in the west.

Since then I have massed around 250 games for it including about 25 Japanese imports. Once I am in a better financial situation I plan to resume collecting for it again. I love the Saturn, it is probably my favourite console (that or the Mega Drive, I can never decide).

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 am

It's probably worth pointing out at this stage that Sega Rally (Saturn version) is still the greatest driving game of all time :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:00 am

Mootown wrote:It's probably worth pointing out at this stage that Sega Rally (Saturn version) is still the greatest driving game of all time :)
And you would be correct of course! 8)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 am

The Laird wrote:
Mootown wrote:It's probably worth pointing out at this stage that Sega Rally (Saturn version) is still the greatest driving game of all time :)
And you would be correct of course! 8)
I agree too

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 am

I think it's now held in fairly high regard by a lot of gamers, at the time it was a victim to the PS1 but the years have been kind to a lot of the 2D games it offered.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 am

Mootown wrote:Nowadays, it's 'cool' to be into the Saturn and name drop some of the more well known 'rare' games like Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Saga.
Nowadays? I remember that to have always been the case, and because of that I always thought the Saturn was overrated. It just didn't cut it for me when it was around, I played Sega Rally to death but it's not even close to being the best racer of all time, or even at the time.

The only game that stands out for me on that console is Saturn Bomberman, amazing game.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 pm

My favourite console. :D
Nowt more needs to be said really.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I remember walking through the mall the day the Saturn came out - remember the surprise launch at Babbage's? - and thinking "Man, $400? I'll pass..." and didn't buy one. I ended up buying a PS1 later that year instead. A few years later, I was walking through Sears and they had Saturns discounted down to $50. I picked one up and was immediately in love. Man, what a great system. I ended up getting a couple dozen games for it eventually. Wherever possible, I would get the Saturn version of a game instead of the PS1 version - the faster loading times on the Saturn were heaven!

Alas, I sold my Saturn probably a decade ago (along with my Genesis, PS1, and SNES...) when I "got out of video gaming" for a couple years. I don't miss the Genesis or SNES but I sure do miss the Saturn.

To answer the question: I don't think the Saturn is underrated. Underappreciated maybe, since it didn't sell that well. But pretty much anybody who's had or played one really liked it. In that sense, it rates well.

Tabe

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

No, the Saturn is not remotely underrated. The general public may not know too much about it but gamers do and generally love it. It has some fantastic games.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Nope. From the posts on here it seems to have a level of worship that I cannot fathom. Ugly brick of a console with hardly any exclusive games worth playing.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

The fact that when - for reasons of space - I streamlined my collection of consoles down to just Nintendo I still couldn't part with the Saturn shows the esteem I hold it in. I never got into the import scene but even among the PAL titles released there were a lot of gems. Sega Rally is worth owning the machine for alone - a brilliant conversion. And Baku Baku is my second favourite ever puzzler (after Tetris, natch).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Baku Baku is one of my favourite puzzlers too, brilliant game.

The Saturn has so many Triple AAA titles it's unreal, especially the first party stuff.