Your favourite all time gaming magazine is?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nautical Rudie

Re: Your favourite all time gaming magazine is?

Post by Nautical Rudie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Roo wrote:There'll never be another magazine to match N64 Magazine. I've known this for over ten years. That said, NGamer (circa mid 2006-early 2008) and Nintendo Gamer were worthy successors.
YES
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm

The Laird wrote:Game Zone!

The original mag before it split into 2 was utterly brilliant.
Wow, did not expect to see a vote for Game Zone. I only started reading it once it went Nintendo only, but I loved it. It was just so bloody funny and well written. Patrick McCarthy and Duncan MacDonald's reviews in particular were always brilliant, even if the occasional mistake was made:

:lol:

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Green Bert wrote:I also think that Arcade Magazine was the best mag post Zzap. I have the complete collection now but it was a short-lived magazine with only 24 issues. Shame.
I really enjoyed the few of those I read, I remember the very first issue being fantastic but no idea if it still holds up.

The official PS1 magazine was perfect for me at the time as it was the first one I read that felt more mature (although I'm not sure it actually was), it got worse as time went on though. I still have the demo with the net yaroze compilation mostly so I can play super bub.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Anybody remember Nitendo Magazine System doing a VHS cover tape about SNES Street Fighter 2 ?

RetrophileTV

Post by RetrophileTV » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 pm

There was only one magazine I was subscribed to back when I was a kid: GamePro! Back in the 90's, this mag was seriously the best. Loved all the information it had, the previews were good, and it had some nice strategy guides. It really has gone downhill since then, but I have fond memories of getting my monthly issue.
[Retrophile TV] - Because old-school games kick ass!
Dedicated to the best (and worst) of 8- & 16-bit gaming.

Watch on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/RetrophileTV
Follow on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/RetrophileTV

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 am

Amiga Power. Best Amiga magazine by miles and there's been nothing quite like it since, sadly.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 am

Graham Humphrey wrote:Amiga Power. Best Amiga magazine by miles and there's been nothing quite like it since, sadly.
Have to disagree with that, the only thing going for it was its childish humour and its top 100 games features, IMO the best all round Amiga mags were Amiga Format and CU Amiga, but The One Amiga was the best for games, always had exclusive news, reviews and the best cover disks, in the early days Amiga Power only had 1 disk with old demos bar the odd decent PD game which I admit they chose well, later went to 2 disks but alot of the demos had already been on the some of the other mags the month before, certainly imo not the best Amiga mag by any length!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 am

CIH wrote:Anybody remember Nitendo Magazine System doing a VHS cover tape about SNES Street Fighter 2 ?
Yes, I have the VHS somewhere but not the mag

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:26 am

RetrophileTV wrote:There was only one magazine I was subscribed to back when I was a kid: GamePro! Back in the 90's, this mag was seriously the best. Loved all the information it had, the previews were good, and it had some nice strategy guides. It really has gone downhill since then, but I have fond memories of getting my monthly issue.
Bought this once, around 1999-ish. Counted 92 pages of adverts! Never again after that :lol:

Seen Megatech and Arcade mentioned here too - those were great also.

Arcade especially for its "non-gaming" features, like when Sonic Adventure was out, they did an interview with someone who ran a hedgehog sanctuary.
And the bits at the start where they go to arcades with a camera and try and chat up any girls they can find in there.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:41 am

Your Sinclair EASILY the best games magazine of all time, closely followed by Retro Gamer.

Otherwise... for the Amiga it was always Amiga Action, for PC it was PC Zone, and for the REAL Retro Heads, 99'er was excellent.

Retro Gamer is all I get nowadays.
ImageImage

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 am

Zzap64, amazing mag that as has been said in this thread was almost as good as getting and playing the actual games.. still love reading through it today.. Issue 16 was my favourite, the one with Leaderboard on the cover, it reviewed all the cheap Americana tat, and the comments from Jazz, Gazza Liddon and Gazza Penn were absolutely hilarious!

I also used to get The One, and then didn't get any gaming mags until Playstation Pro which morphed into Playstation World..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am

Crash Magazine or Super Play, cannot choose between them both were superb publications, EDGE in its early days (first year or two) was superb.
An honourable mention to N64 and Zzap64, nothing comes close to any of them these days besides Retro Gamer for obvious reasons. I also liked the 3DO magazine, it just felt exclusive as not many people bought the 3DO or the magazine
"Time fades even legend..."

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am

Official sega saturn magazine - wrote about games you wanted to play rather than rubbish that was bringing in the advertising money.

N64 - the only mag that kept me interested when release schedules where a bit thin on the ground

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 am

My top three:

1. Zero. Best mag for humour.

2. Amiga Computing.. Specifically for the excellent assembler tutorial from the Guy who wrote Menace.

3. New Computer Express. Came out every two weeks instead of monthly.

Special mention must be for the first ever digital magazine I read: Grapevine (Amiga disc 'scene' mag)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 am

I'll go with Zzap!

Crash was great, but Zzap! seemed to take that formula and elevate it somewhat beyond. Maybe it was the features they ran, maybe it was the personalities behind it, but there's just a raw enthusiasm to it that's backed up with a healthy hint of humour and a good deal of knowledge and it all comes out on the page. One of the reasons I loved early RG was because it reminded me of that, since it wasn't all glossy and completely professional, it had a few rough edges to it. Modern RG is great, but the regular fixed layouts and whatnot make it seem somewhat more corporate. Its probably a better read for it and allows more actual content to be put together, but those early issues push a nostalgia button for me that reminds me how mags used to be.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.