First person dungeon crawlers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

First person dungeon crawlers

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Back in the 16 bit days games like Dungeon Master and Abandoned Places seemed really popular. It isn't a genre I've had much experience with, though. Which games were the best example of this genre? Which were the worst? And are there any unusual variants worth a look?

Black Ridge

Re: First person dungeon crawlers

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

ShadowNeku will tell you that the Kings Field series is a great example of the genre on PS1/2

Black Ridge here will tell you it is dire.

Etrian Odyssey on the DS is first person throughout the dungeons then opens up to a standard turn based rpg when in combat. Cant think of many others both past and present....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm

For a modern take on the genre that heavily echoes the games of old, you should have a look at Legend of Grimrock:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/legend_of_grimrock

Corporation is possibly the one I spent most time with bitd on the old Atari ST, it being a sci-fi variant that uses flat shaded polygon walls for smoother movement.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

van

Post by van » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I spent a ton of time with double dungeons for the turbografx.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm

For a sci-fi take on the genre, then try 'Captive'.

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I tried Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on the DS but despite clearly being a well made game it just wasn't for me, I assume it's a good starting point but I've no idea if that's the case.

Also for fans of the genre make you check out the "void quest" section of Persona 4 (I'm guessing youtube videos will be full of spoilers).

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 am

I've only played shining the holy arc, it's first person but then turn based in battle - but you don't see any of your characters. It was ok, I only played it for a few hours but it might be your thing if you like the genre.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:For a modern take on the genre that heavily echoes the games of old, you should have a look at Legend of Grimrock:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/legend_of_grimrock
I was going to suggest this myself, picked it up in the steam sale a few days ago. Haven't played it yet but seen a few videos and from the screenshots it looks fantastic. I also saw the developer videos for the dungeon creator bit so you can always make your own and download new ones to increase re playability, looked pretty easy to use too.

Managarm

Post by Managarm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 am

The first two Eye of the Beholder games were brilliant, third one was a bit of a let down. Knightmare was another quality one, your characters could be multiple classes just by giving them the correct weapon or wand and letting them use it for a while. Captive and Liberation by the same author are well worth a look too.

Games like this is I thought were a bit crap were: Ishar, I'm sure it used to steal some gold of you every time you played it and Bloodwych, wandering around identical looking tunnels for ever and losing the will to live.