Sub genres that have faded away

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Sub genres that have faded away

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I was playing Spiky Harold recently and it got me thinking to how we don't really have modern day equivalents. Platofrmers today tend to be evolution of the Mario or Sonic style. The goal is to get to the end of each stage, and maybe uncover secrets along the way. The days of rock hard, slow paced collecting-oriented platformers like the Monty games, Jet Set Willy or City Slicker are long gone. But is this a good thing? Would they work in 3D?

That led me to think about another sub-genre we don't see much of. I don't know what you would call it, but I'm referring to the type of games like the Dizzy or Wally series, or Sceptre of Baghdad or something. Limited platforming, and all about getting the right objects to the right places with a limited inventory.

Are there examples of these game types outside of indie-gaming? Would you like to see them or should they be consigned to the scrap heap of history?

sscott

Re: Sub genres that have faded away

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:I was playing Spiky Harold recently and it got me thinking to how we don't really have modern day equivalents. Platofrmers today tend to be evolution of the Mario or Sonic style. The goal is to get to the end of each stage, and maybe uncover secrets along the way. The days of rock hard, slow paced collecting-oriented platformers like the Monty games, Jet Set Willy or City Slicker are long gone. But is this a good thing? Would they work in 3D?

That led me to think about another sub-genre we don't see much of. I don't know what you would call it, but I'm referring to the type of games like the Dizzy or Wally series, or Sceptre of Baghdad or something. Limited platforming, and all about getting the right objects to the right places with a limited inventory.

Are there examples of these game types outside of indie-gaming? Would you like to see them or should they be consigned to the scrap heap of history?
You liked Spiky Harold with its 29 lives due to horrible difficulty spikes!? (I have played it a lot sadly).

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm

No, I hate Spiky Harold, but I do like some of the other examples of the genre.

Spiky's main problem is that the player's sprite is just too big, I think.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:No, I hate Spiky Harold, but I do like some of the other examples of the genre.

Spiky's main problem is that the player's sprite is just too big, I think.
Massive... and slow! I played the game on the A8 to death and my god was it difficult to time the jumps! Still, I payed my £1.99 and as you do when you've just spent your pocket money that week (played it to death),

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Dizzy games seem to me to be a blend of platformer, and point and click puzzle game. I definitely think there is room for a modern version of that, I'm struggling to think of a modern game that does it, off the top of my head.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm

r0jaws wrote:Dizzy games seem to me to be a blend of platformer, and point and click puzzle game. I definitely think there is room for a modern version of that, I'm struggling to think of a modern game that does it, off the top of my head.
Not at the price they want for the kickstarter fund

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm thinking that a lot of Rareware's 3D platformers would be where Dizzy or Jet Set Willy would have ended up, given enough time. Wandering around aimlessly and picking up silly collectables is pretty much all you did in those games, and if you got rid of the bullshit difficulty, you'd probably end up with something like Banjo Kazooie.

(Note: I don't actually hate Banjo Kazooie, to be clear.)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 pm

i do actually disliek banjo kaazoie but i generally dislike most platformers

one genre\ sub genere that appears to be on its last legs is the scrolling beat em up
very few of them have been releasedthe last couple of years
let alone been popular and the ones that have been released are either remakes of old games ( double dragon neo ) or re releases of the arcade versions ( final fight double impact x-men )
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:14 am

r0jaws wrote:Dizzy games seem to me to be a blend of platformer, and point and click puzzle game. I definitely think there is room for a modern version of that, I'm struggling to think of a modern game that does it, off the top of my head.

Aye, this.

I normally cant bloody STAND the "point-and-click" genre, because it just puts me to sleep.... but doing "adventure" games in the way of Dizzy or something, THAT idea, I can get behind. Really wish developers would, you know, DO that. Instead it's just one pointy-clicky game after another after another after another.... bah.

And I do kinda miss Rare's old style of platformer as well; there were many who didnt like their "collect-a-thon" type of design, but they generally put out good games nonetheless, which tended to have TONS of content and stuff to do.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Good points about Rare's output, but for me they follow the Japanese platformer template as encapsulated by the likes of Mario and Sonic. They let the player fight back against the various enemies, but in the 8 bit platformer collect-a-thons the avatar would have no offensive abilities. He couldn't shoot or stomp on heads or anything. The player won by evading the enemies and being careful.

I'm not saying that being defenceless makes for a good game, just that it creates a different play-style as it forces the player to be more cautious. Think about how you play modern platformers and contrast that with the slow, careful style encouraged by the likes of Brian Bloodaxe or Miner 2049er.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Text adventures have all but died, I guess you could class those as a sub genre of adventure games in general

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:23 pm

How about the "realistic combat" genre, excluding MMA? Whether it was realistic karate (like in Black Belt) or boxing (sorry, Fight Night doesn't really count) or stuff like Bushido, outside of MMA, we don't see a whole lot of realistic combat sports games.

Tabe