Why are nintendo fans

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Why are nintendo fans

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:06 pm

speedlolita wrote:I thought you WERE the Jag community.
God no. I have no wish to be part of that community again.

Contrary to what people here may think the Jaguar scene is really big, hence why the console gets so many new games.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Spector wrote:
Freestyler wrote:I think the UK has become infected with the American nonsense that Nintendo single-handedly resurrected the entire gaming industry after the Atari collapse, and so therefore requires special respect.
So true it's unreal. There's even a birthday card available in the UK for those born in 1985 with a big picture of the NES on the front, as if that defined Britain at that time, a distortion so awful as to be grotesque.
Especially as the NES didn't come out here until 1987

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 pm

The Laird wrote:
Spector wrote:
Freestyler wrote:I think the UK has become infected with the American nonsense that Nintendo single-handedly resurrected the entire gaming industry after the Atari collapse, and so therefore requires special respect.
So true it's unreal. There's even a birthday card available in the UK for those born in 1985 with a big picture of the NES on the front, as if that defined Britain at that time, a distortion so awful as to be grotesque.
Especially as the NES didn't come out here until 1987
No it didn't - it came out in '85! Man, those days were something else! Playing Mario Brothers on my Nintendo System, watching reruns of "Get Smart", sneaking in to watch the New England Patriots in the playoffs... the UK was such a great time back then and... OH NO I'M INFECTED!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Spector wrote: No it didn't - it came out in '85! Man, those days were something else! Playing Mario Brothers on my Nintendo System, watching reruns of "Get Smart", sneaking in to watch the New England Patriots in the playoffs... the UK was such a great time back then and... OH NO I'M INFECTED!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Well, I've got as much of a sense of humour as the next person. Even more so, in a lot of cases. But when I see pages of pages of negative crap from the same people over and over again, whole negative reviews of games from other websites just copied and pasted as is just to blatently annoy people, more lengthy posts about console specs that I can easily look up on Wikipedia (if I actually give a sh!t) and other stuff like that, it goes beyond just poking fun and right over the line into trolling.

I honestly don't care if anybody thinks Nintendo's sh!te and tells me so and a lot of anti Nintendo jokes are really funny. I do care if they're only doing it to wind other people up though and they just keep going on and on and on and on and on about it until they get a reaction, then try to say 'It wasn't me guv, I didn't do it or say anything' when an arguement kicks off.

You people know that's the kind of things going on here, and the people who are doing it. I can't be the only one seeing it. :?
Nah, you are right. On a side-note, I've noticed that people leave due to what happens on here (Smurph for example) and hardly anybody joins up and sticks around anymore. Do the maths and it won't be long before this forum is dead and barren. It certainly seems more inactive than when I first joined.

My only advice to anybody fed up with certain types of posts/attitudes is just to block the posts of the users involved rather than continually putting up with it and biting back. It works wonders :) . Steering clear of threads that you only have negative comments to contribute to such as "I think (insert thread subject) is sh*t" also helps. Nobody cares about reading that sort of comment and it doesn't add to a discussion.

It's also odd that people who dislike certain topics actually read them and reply with something negative...why even read a thread if you can tell from the title that it won't interest you? I have zero interest in Call of Duty for example but I don't post that view in the Black Ops II thread or start writing about why I avoid the series. It's a waste of my time and a needless post. If it's an open debate along the lines of "What are your views on game/console X" then fair enough but surely some users can't be so thick that they find it impossible to differentiate between a debate and a thread for people who actually want to talk civilly about something they have a shared interest in?

I've suggested the blocking as well myself.... usually to a couple of very specific members who will every now and then freak out at me (though I've heard exactly nothing from those few in the last week or so). Yet at the same time, I am very reluctant to do it myself. In the end, it doesnt really help all that much.... it's like, well, I COULD hide in a little box and avoid all of their comments, but.... I agree with what Nokgod said, and I really do think people need thicker skins, and the ability to take such comments WITHOUT getting all angry about it.

As for the topic of "why read it if you know it wont interest you?", hmmm, the idea of it being "interesting" does not, in fact, require that you also LIKE or LOVE it. I'll post in Nintendo topics every now and then because I actually DO have an interest in it. It's not a "dont care at all" subject for me. Something like CoD? I utterly ignore that one (aside from making an occaisional joke about it, if I should remember it exists), as I LITERALLY just dont give a crap on that one. But in the case of Nintendo, yes, I have an interest. Particularly as I actually own quite alot of their stuff (just not the Wii, 3DS, or Cube), and there's a very high chance that I'll end up with a Wii U in the next couple of weeks. I dont like the Wii, and I dont really care for Iwata and the company's current overall leadership and tendancies.... but there's still an interest, which there always was. I suspect this is the case for many of the others that are often shouted at for being annoying.
will2097 wrote:There's a whole heap of sacred cows in gaming. Nintendoism is by far the most militant, I agree. Sega fanboys have their moments too, lest we forget. The Dreamcast and Saturn are grotesquely over worshipped for what they were, and you start a thread on the PS1, and it will eventually be derailed by slavering Sega fanboy laying his life down on Sonics alter. Even the Jaguar community can get very very arsey if you annoy them enough.
Yep, pretty much this exactly. The Nintendo ones do often seem the most.... fiery.... but the reality is that every single "group" within gaming will have some of that type of player. Certainly, the 360 and PS3 fans spend more than enough time screaming at each other as it is.... and having gotten into Dota and MOBAs in general recently, well.... I'll just say this, you havent seen anything yet. Some of those people make the most fiery and angry of the Nintendo/360/PS3/Sega/something/whatever/cheese fanboys look like the friendliest, most accepting, impossible to anger people around.

Oh, and one other thing:

I'm sorry, was there a global gaming crash? I was too busy playing my wonderful ZX Spectrum to notice! :lol:
The reason you hear about that from American gamers is because here in the States, that is, in fact, exactly how it went. People though tend to mistake it for "global" when it was really a "market" crash, market meaning for this specific country and things directly connected to it. But yeah, in the States, it was indeed like that, and possibly even worse than it sounds. I may not like Nintendo as a company much these days, but I have a great deal of respect for them as they were back then, and all that they accomplished.

And there really WERENT much of any alternatives.... devices like the Spectrum and Amstrad or whatever were almost entirely unheard of here.... the one that had SOME exposure was the C64, and that's pretty much about it. The rest were.... *cough*.... "IBM" compatible machines, haha. But gaming on THOSE wasnt hyper-profitable back then (though there were plenty of games).

There was more to say and quote, but cant remember what the heck it was, which may be due to lack of food, so gonna go do that instead.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 am

The Laird wrote:
kiwimike wrote: Honestly though, I've never met a console I didn't like and didn't enjoy; that's what they are made for!
You havn't played the Tiger R-Zone then? :lol:
I stand corrected! :lol:

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 am

Spector wrote:No it didn't - it came out in '85! Man, those days were something else! Playing Mario Brothers on my Nintendo System, watching reruns of "Get Smart", sneaking in to watch the New England Patriots in the playoffs... the UK was such a great time back then and... OH NO I'M INFECTED!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol:

I personally don't think that its too bad on here tbh. You're always going to have people that disagree with each other as we are all different and all have our own tastes and opinions.
This place is heaven when compared to a lot/most other forums on the net. I must admit that i do actually have a laugh at some of the disagreements people have on here and don't really have a problem with them as long as they don't get personal which the majority of the time they don't.
I do think that some Nintendo fans seem to take it way too seriously and seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with the company (not aimed at anyone on here). Now i'm a massive fan of SEGA always have been and always will be! if i see a comment about SEGA that i don't agree with then i'll offer my opinion and leave it at that, whereas some Nintendo fans seem to act as though they own the company and must at all costs protect it. I just find it really strange as i just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong i do understand that some Nintendo fans must get quite frustrated that almost all Nintendo threads turn into the same old arguments. Maybe i wouldn't enjoy reading them if they were aimed at me??? ....Come At Me Bro! :wink:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:29 am

One of the main reasons Nintendo cop so much flak is simply that they've been round so long the negativity has had a chance to snowball.
Bowing out early from the hardware market brings a certain martyrdom - you could say Sega are like Cobain or Lennon or even Elvis, whereas Nintendo are the Rolling Stones.

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 am

Liamh1982 wrote: Bowing out early from the hardware market brings a certain martyrdom - you could say Sega are like Cobain or Lennon or even Elvis, whereas Nintendo are the Rolling Stones.
I like Nintendo but I also like that anology, I think you hit the nail on the head. The Rolling Stones no doubt have a big loyal fan base too who will still buy tickets to see them live , new albums as well as re-releases of old stuff..

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:17 am

Bowing out early from the hardware market brings a certain martyrdom
but a lot of the other companies didn't "bow" out, they fcuked it up and were forced out - and this could yet happen to nintendo, software only within 5 years?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am

At least Nintendo have the stones to go out there and try something genuinely different.

It's entirely possible that their next home console won't be met with enthusiasm and will spell the end of the company, that's what happens when you attempt to release new ways of interaction, rather than just iterating what came before. The Wii U doesn't immediately appeal to me but I'll be damned if I won't congratulate Nintendo for daring to try something different. It would have been all too easy for them to do a Wii HD and copy the PS360 style outright.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:27 am

rupert wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote: Bowing out early from the hardware market brings a certain martyrdom - you could say Sega are like Cobain or Lennon or even Elvis, whereas Nintendo are the Rolling Stones.
I like Nintendo but I also like that anology, I think you hit the nail on the head. The Rolling Stones no doubt have a big loyal fan base too who will still buy tickets to see them live , new albums as well as re-releases of old stuff..
Yes, good analogy... The Stones peaked with Street Fighting Man in the late 60s and sell out their live shows to middle aged "fangrans" who last purchased a cd in 1984.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:59 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Bowing out early from the hardware market brings a certain martyrdom
but a lot of the other companies didn't "bow" out, they fcuked it up and were forced out - and this could yet happen to nintendo, software only within 5 years?
Maybe it wasn't the best choice of word on my part but the sentiment is similar.

I like Sega - a lot - but I'm not blind enough to see that the only company who had a direct role in killing them as a hardware manufacturer was Sega themselves. PS2 did not destroy DC, not directly anyway. The anticipation for PS2 did have a part to play but 90% of it was Sega dragging their reputation through the mud with the failures of the MD's "life support systems" (and the Saturn to a lesser extent - though that only counts for the Western world) and persisting with one of the most ill-advised ad campaigns of recent memory.

Wii U would have to REALLY bomb for Nintendo to quit consoles - if the Cube's disappointing sales figures couldn't force them out, it's kinda hard to know what would.

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 am

Some of the common arguments against Nintendo do get boring and many aren't even true, the Wii has no games, Nintendo is for kids/hardcore gamers play CoD, Nintendo killed my puppy, Nintendo should compete directly with Sony and Microsoft, it's just a gimmick, Nintendo should be like they were when I was kid (you've changed Nintendo hasn't), oh look it's another entry in that franchise and that's somehow different to every other developer milking their cash cows etc etc.

It's particularly confusing when there are loads of more legitimate arguments against Nintendo. Some even seem to hold the N64 and Gamecube in high esteem when I think that's when Nintendo were at their lowest but that's just my opinion and I suppose I can see their point.

Anyway you may not see all those points on this forum but there's an even worse one that's popped up around here; apparently I imagined owning a NES as kid! Needless to say this has come as quite a surprise.
I don't go into Sega threads and tell people that they didn't own a Sega Saturn, or that they couldn't play their overrated dreamcast because it wouldn't stop resetting.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 am

I got to agree with Megamixer and Nokgod on this issue.. I'm a Nintendo Fanboy and yes I own both a Megadrive and Super Famicom with 100 Super Famicom games and 12 Megadrive games.. But it really doesn't bother me that people think Nintendo consoles are crap, as its not effecting my enjoyment in any way.. Same with the Scolling beat em up thread lot of people saying my fav game Final Fight is crap and Steets of Rage 2 poo poo's on it from a great height.. Again doesn't bother me because I like Final Fight

On the other Hand i hate COD, GTA and Fifa the games of Chavs and think that collecting DVD's is a huge waste of money(the only DVD's I own are Elizabeth Bathory the Vampire Countess and American Werewolf) But I don't go into those threads posting to slate them.. Every time I have said Fifa's crap somebody on here has taken offense to it and I can get my head round this train of thought; "I like Fifa so that means everybody much like it"!!

Look at the Neo Geo forums with the Dion Daki's saga or this thread http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... -reviewed! And the Latest being Aero Fighters 3 MVS being fake!!! I ignore the Nintendo threads as its always the same few people for and against dominating those threads.. Also regarding the leaving threads its always the same names that are mention.. The bad thing to me is how quiet the forum is getting with members leaving and new members not posting

I also I like Jagfest and don't get a lot of the hate he gets on this forum!!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"