Why are nintendo fans

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

r0jaws

Re: Why are nintendo fans

Post by r0jaws » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 am

The Laird wrote:
r0jaws wrote:
The Laird wrote:You still didn't explain the bizarre brother comment :?
It can't be that hard to understand?
It probably has something to do with the "support" you and Dreamy seemed to give each other when you felt you had to make a point, or someone was getting at you. From the outside, you could almost seem that you had a "back up my bro" relationship.
Be thankful it was perceived as a bromance, and not something else. :wink:
Really? :shock:

We both like Atari and Sega, I didn't realise that made us brothers :?
Obviously not, but I guess he was alluding to the appearance of the support that you guys seem to give each other in threads. That's how I understood it anyway.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 am

Misery wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:... negative crap from the same people
... negative reviews of games from other websites
... as is just to blatently annoy people
... posts about console specs
It would appear certain individuals here would be much happier if the forum had,

- gushing crap about Ninty from the same people
- gushing reviews of Ninty games from other websites
- as if just to blatantly annoy people and offend freedom of speech
- no posts about console specs in the instance a Ninty console has mediocre specs
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:It seems nintendo is like some kind of protected species to be talked of only in glowing terms, why can't the nintendo fans deal with negative comments like the fans of everything esle do?
Quoted for truth.
Aye, at times, it really does seem this way, doesnt it?
Indeed it does. I may not always agree with HalcyonDaze00 but in this instance he has it absolutely spot-on and all credit to him for being brave enough to call it how it is when the usual shouty types here were always likely to react the way they usually do. As another forum member commented, it was was perhaps the finest post HalcyonDaze00 has ever made on this forum so props for that.
I think the bit that really gets me though, isnt so much that: It's the ones that honestly think that those comments really are specifically there to "annoy" them.
100% on the money. A small but extremely vocal minority of individuals on this forum seem to think any comment about Nintendo that's vaguely negative is an affront to them personally. They take criticism of Nintendo as being criticism of them it seems, or at the very least, they bizarrely take it personally when people criticise Nintendo. The one or two members in question seem to see it as their mission in life to 'represent' said company on this forum. There's quite obviously a whole world of difference between being a fan and being a fanboy. The one or two individuals here who conform to the latter blight this otherwise decent forum with their utterly mornonic rabid Ninty cheerleading and render pretty much any balanced debate on the company's products impossible. It would be nice to read Ninty threads here without the same one or two fanboys ruining it for everybody else.
Or that the person saying them really is JUST doing it to troll.
Indeed. It's pretty damn obvious why they're so quick to hurl this accusation too. They want to live in a fluffy fantasy bubble where their deity is free from criticism and is the subject of nothing but unfettered worship. Introduce some facts that don't chime with their fantasy world and there's hell to pay. They'll argue nonsensically, forever ignore the facts, spit out vitriol and ad hominem attacks... pretty much anything to 'prove' their beloved Ninty is god. In the instance their arguements are defeated (pretty much every time, it's never difficult) their next port of call in the attempt to keep the internet free of truth so only gushing vacuous praise of their deity exists is to report those naughty people to the moderators here... time after time after time. I'm well aware of how the moderators perceive said fanboys too. When that has failed to get the dissenting voice silenced then they put those who don't worship Ninty as they do on 'block' in a last desperate attempt to seal themselves off from reality so to go on living in their little Mushroom Kingdom fantasy world. Oh, and one of the forum's two most notable offenders in this regard has recently taken to sending me the most utterly bizarre messages via the forum's PM system.
It truly scares me to think that these people are 30/40-something adults with the right to vote. If they wish to live in their pretend little fantasy world where it's permissable to do nothing but worship Nintendo then that's their prerogative. However, this is a public discussion forum so they really do need to get a grip on reality and move on from their pre-teen mindset if they're to get by. The attempt to silence those who don't worship Nintendo as they do is an utter disgrace.
Call me crazy, but I doubt we have many REAL trolls on this forum. It just isnt the place for it. And I've been to LOTS of forums before (all gaming forums), some of which are the hyper-popular type.... I know a real troll when I spot one. Here though? No. I've no animosity towards anyone here.
Pretty much agree with that insofar as there aren't really any true internet trolls on the forum that I've noticed. There are a small clutch of individuals though who do little else than post flame bait wholly designed to ignite arguements. The moderators are thankfully well aware of who those characters are - I see one of them has already posted his usual dollop of bile in this thread already, for instance.
And as for my own general negativity? Oh, it's no secret that I dont like Nintendo. But to be fair, I hate damn near EVERYTHING.

And as long as we have freedom of speech on this forum you should be free to give your opinion. I note you've been attacked, viciously at times, for daring to have an opinion that doesn't chime with the vocal minority of keyboard warriors on this forum. I hope they don't ever grind you down with their bile and hatred and that you continue to express your opinions as I've always found your posts a good read. It boils down to pretty much the same issue though - folk not sharing your opinion and so seeking to ridicule you in their manner of snide remarks and spineless flame bait.
... So yeah, I complain alot, and I'm generally pretty negative... but do I do it specifically to "troll" everyone?
Of course you aren't and any other person with an ounce of intelligence would see that too. As previously stated, it's the vocal minority of delluded fanboys here who take criticism of their deity personally who get their panties in a twist should you have the temerity to not worship their god as they do. I often find myself questioning the mental wellbeing of these individuals.
...I have indeed noticed that Nintendo's fanbase really DOES tend to be very easily incensed, to the point where it actually starts to get a little strange.
Precisely. The likes of Atari, Commodore, Sega, Sinclair, Sony, et al have their share of fans and fanboys too of course but Ninty fanboys are often a breed apart. So utterly deluded are they I personally think of them as Nintendards, Nintendorks or Nintendrones. There was a time when I'd challenge pretty much all their nonsense but now I mostly try to ignore it as it's far easier on the heart just to sit back and have a good laugh at what they say most times. Some of the comments posted in the recent Wii Micro thread were testament to that.
Say the slightest thing against Nintendo, and "BLARGH DE BLAHHHHHHH, WHY ARE YOU SAYING THAT, ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO TRUE, CLEARLY YOURE JUST A JERK, GO BASH YOUR FACE AGAINST A TREE UNTIL YOU LOVE NINTENDO LIKE YOU SHOULD!!!!111". Obviously, that sarcasm-tastic line is exaggerating, but it DOES illustrate the tendancy to REALLY over-react, when the given comment did NOT call for such a reaction. I've gotten reactions like that from people by just saying things like "Nah, I dont care for the Wii too much. Dont like motion controls, prefer a controller". I've seen this SO often that, IRL, I tend to just LEAVE when conversations turn towards Nintendo and any of their products.
Exactly. The child-like conduct of said fanboys actually does their deity a disservice as it only serves to stifle open and honest debate. I'd bet Miyamoto would be embarrassed at the conduct of some of these individuals. Most other topics on this forum seem to be able to be discussed in a largely rational manner but when it comes to Nintendo-related discussions the same one or two Ninty fanboys rock up with their usual crusade to 'prove' something about their deity and rewrite history and then it pretty much always turns to nonsense. Quite sad really.
slacey1070 wrote:What happens if a Wii-U owners post something negative on the Wii-U owners thread? Will the other two ask him to leave?

Why do people need others to validate how they spend their money? You like it, great... please don't get upset because someone else doesn't. I don't care if someone doesn't like what I've spend my cash on, its my money.

Ninty owners do seem a touch sensitive, I'm sure the Ninty crew would laugh if someone started a "Positive comments about Oric" thread.

I really don't get why folk get so upset about toys.....
Great post.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Well, I've got as much of a sense of humour as the next person. Even more so, in a lot of cases. But when I see pages of pages of negative crap from the same people over and over again, whole negative reviews of games from other websites just copied and pasted as is just to blatently annoy people, more lengthy posts about console specs that I can easily look up on Wikipedia (if I actually give a sh!t) and other stuff like that, it goes beyond just poking fun and right over the line into trolling.

I honestly don't care if anybody thinks Nintendo's sh!te and tells me so and a lot of anti Nintendo jokes are really funny. I do care if they're only doing it to wind other people up though and they just keep going on and on and on and on and on about it until they get a reaction, then try to say 'It wasn't me guv, I didn't do it or say anything' when an arguement kicks off.

You people know that's the kind of things going on here, and the people who are doing it. I can't be the only one seeing it. :?
Nah, you are right. On a side-note, I've noticed that people leave due to what happens on here (Smurph for example) and hardly anybody joins up and sticks around anymore. Do the maths and it won't be long before this forum is dead and barren. It certainly seems more inactive than when I first joined.

My only advice to anybody fed up with certain types of posts/attitudes is just to block the posts of the users involved rather than continually putting up with it and biting back. It works wonders :) . Steering clear of threads that you only have negative comments to contribute to such as "I think (insert thread subject) is sh*t" also helps. Nobody cares about reading that sort of comment and it doesn't add to a discussion.

It's also odd that people who dislike certain topics actually read them and reply with something negative...why even read a thread if you can tell from the title that it won't interest you? I have zero interest in Call of Duty for example but I don't post that view in the Black Ops II thread or start writing about why I avoid the series. It's a waste of my time and a needless post. If it's an open debate along the lines of "What are your views on game/console X" then fair enough but surely some users can't be so thick that they find it impossible to differentiate between a debate and a thread for people who actually want to talk civilly about something they have a shared interest in?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:44 pm

People get bored and post nonsense to pass the time. I use to spend literally hours doing that.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm a huge Nintendophile, which has been noted many times. I take absolutely no personal offence to negative comments about Nintendo. A lot of them make me chuckle, tbh.

There's greater worries in the world than whether my love of the Gamecube is OTT.

I think thicker skins all round for Christmas! :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm

There's a whole heap of sacred cows in gaming. Nintendoism is by far the most militant, I agree. Sega fanboys have their moments too, lest we forget. The Dreamcast and Saturn are grotesquely over worshipped for what they were, and you start a thread on the PS1, and it will eventually be derailed by slavering Sega fanboy laying his life down on Sonics alter. Even the Jaguar community can get very very arsey if you annoy them enough.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:52 pm

will2097 wrote:Even the Jaguar community can get very very arsey if you annoy them enough.
The Jaguar community are a bunch of raving dellusional nutjobs, thankfully they stay in their little troll hole on Atari Age so generally don't bother the wider retro community much. The only people as bad as them are the Neo Geo crowd, half of them need locking up!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:31 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:so fcuking soft? (apart from being mostly women and children)

Yet again we have a nintendo thread for "positive comments" only, its ridiculous.

Plenty of games/machines get a kicking on here, im a huge COD fan and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that is get loads of abuse, ive seen the Amstrad get slaughtered, the FIFA games, wrestling games, the awful Jag, the list goes on, what I never see is positive only threads for these topics (and rightly so).

It seems nintendo is like some kind of protected species to be talked of only in glowing terms, why can't the nintendo fans deal with negative comments like the fans of everything esle do?
As I started the controversial thread in question, perhaps I should offer an answer, however not being a "Nintendo fan" (was firmly on the side of Sega in the 90's) I'm not sure I'm fully qualified.

I think people are (perhaps deliberately) missing the point here, the thread was set up not because people were getting offended or upset about people's opinions of faceless Japanese corporation or the children's toys that they produce, if that were the case I would never have bothered.

From what I've observed people who want to discuss a machine are bored sh1tless by the same circular threads & repetitive bullsh1t from the same tedious people & the same arguments from uber-fans & uber-trolls on both sides & any attempt to discuss the machine descends into 10 page threads of the same old tripe & actual discussion of games or anything interesting gets completely lost in the crossfire.

I thought it'd be nice to have at least one thread on the forum where people could talk about a system without all the usual bollocks.

It would appear that this thread has lead to a whole load of other threads of outcry from what if anything seem to be over-reacting and super-sensitive souls who are horrified by the idea that it'd be nice to have a thread without the usual crap.

But hey, way to prove the point about there being too many threads about the Wii U by setting up a couple more!
Edit: oh and there's no "Positive Comments only" thread...it's a thread for Wii U owners to discuss their machine. I've no doubt there'll be a few with less than positive things to say about it!
Last edited by the_hawk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:39 pm

I think the UK has become infected with the American nonsense that Nintendo single-handedly resurrected the entire gaming industry after the Atari collapse, and so therefore requires special respect.

I'm sorry, was there a global gaming crash? I was too busy playing my wonderful ZX Spectrum to notice! :lol:

What Nintendo does they do very well indeed, and I'll be the first to champion their wares. I'd be pretty confident to include several of their games in my personal Top 20, no problem.

However I also remember their casual dismissal of the whole of Europe in its entirety during the N64-Gamecube years, and their early business practises left a lot to be desired.

Hell, say what you like about rabid Nintendo fanboys; they're NOTHING compared to Apple maggots! :shock:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:09 pm

Perhaps a nice pic should be included at this point, with McCartney & Wonder singing ebony and ivory while playing their respective branded consoles.

Put Stevie on the Wii to give em a chance

Honestly though, I've never met a console I didn't like and didn't enjoy; that's what they are made for! Some I like more than others down to personal taste. I just don't feel the need to get stuck into someone for their gaming tastes. A lot of crazy people like country music and that's their business too :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:11 pm

kiwimike wrote: Honestly though, I've never met a console I didn't like and didn't enjoy; that's what they are made for!
You havn't played the Tiger R-Zone then? :lol:

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm

The Laird wrote:The Jaguar community are a bunch of raving dellusional nutjobs
:lol: :P :lol: :shock: quote of the year right there!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:55 pm

kiwimike wrote: Honestly though, I've never met a console I didn't like and didn't enjoy; that's what they are made for!
You musn't have used an Action max

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:56 pm

The Laird wrote:
will2097 wrote:Even the Jaguar community can get very very arsey if you annoy them enough.
The Jaguar community are a bunch of raving dellusional nutjobs, thankfully they stay in their little troll hole on Atari Age so generally don't bother the wider retro community much. The only people as bad as them are the Neo Geo crowd, half of them need locking up!
I thought you WERE the Jag community.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Freestyler wrote:I think the UK has become infected with the American nonsense that Nintendo single-handedly resurrected the entire gaming industry after the Atari collapse, and so therefore requires special respect.
So true it's unreal. There's even a birthday card available in the UK for those born in 1985 with a big picture of the NES on the front, as if that defined Britain at that time, a distortion so awful as to be grotesque.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)