Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 am

ShadowNeku wrote:More worrying news regarding the future of the WiiU

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/29/wii-u ... iler-asda/

I wonder if any other stores are going to start following suit. Last time i went into Tesco and HMV their WiiU shelf space was pitifully small. There couldn't have been more than 5 games on display.
ASDA have picked a curious week to pull Wii U support, what with New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3 just coming out. The ASDA in my town was one of those that sold Wii U games, and it wasn't really that many of them (just launch stuff, in fact). I still think they'll come back on board once Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit U are out; there's no chance in hell ASDA won't sell those.

I'll add that the DS, Wii and 3DS sections in my local ASDA are as big as ever, as they are in my local Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons. It's not the end of the world for Nintendo or anything.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:14 am

The ASDA story was bound to happen once they were selling off their stock a few months back. They still sell online which is the main thing. Shelf space is under a lot of competition, I wouldn't be suprised to see PS4/XB1 have the same issues after the initial launch, supermarkets are only interested in big sellers not building up a user base.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm desperately stuck on Pikmin 3. I've rescued the captain and returned to Tropical wilds, then beat the Shaggy Longlegs there. Now I can't work out where to go. Every path is inaccessible. There's a raised central area that looks like it goes somewhere, but though I can throw Pikmin up there I can't get my commanders up to lead them. Below the area is a metal panel which has a number hovering over it to show how many people are standing on it. I suspect this is the key, but I can't get it to do anything. I've tried throwing Pikmin onto it, tried bombing it, all to no avail and I've wasted days trying to figure it out.

Anyone know how to get past this?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:39 pm

killbot wrote:I'm desperately stuck on Pikmin 3. I've rescued the captain and returned to Tropical wilds, then beat the Shaggy Longlegs there. Now I can't work out where to go. Every path is inaccessible. There's a raised central area that looks like it goes somewhere, but though I can throw Pikmin up there I can't get my commanders up to lead them. Below the area is a metal panel which has a number hovering over it to show how many people are standing on it. I suspect this is the key, but I can't get it to do anything. I've tried throwing Pikmin onto it, tried bombing it, all to no avail and I've wasted days trying to figure it out.

Which pikmin types do you have?

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Mootown wrote:
killbot wrote:I'm desperately stuck on Pikmin 3. I've rescued the captain and returned to Tropical wilds, then beat the Shaggy Longlegs there. Now I can't work out where to go. Every path is inaccessible. There's a raised central area that looks like it goes somewhere, but though I can throw Pikmin up there I can't get my commanders up to lead them. Below the area is a metal panel which has a number hovering over it to show how many people are standing on it. I suspect this is the key, but I can't get it to do anything. I've tried throwing Pikmin onto it, tried bombing it, all to no avail and I've wasted days trying to figure it out.

Which pikmin types do you have?
Actually I've figured it out. There was another path that I somehow missed. I now have the flip-phone but I've wasted five or six days on it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:44 am

^ Ah good stuff. You know you can just go back in time right? I completed it last night, missed 8 fruit though so I'm heading back in later!!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

I think I'm going to get pikmin 3 at xmas. I've got an idea of buying donkey kong, sonic and pikmin all at once so I can feel like a kid again, if only for a day or two.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

My impressions of the WiiU are as follows (though not well written ;))

Pikmin 3, and a £199 price point was the reason I bought a WiiU. I can't help but feel £199 for the pro version is still a little too much (£120 standard, £160 pro will make it seem like a nicer cheaper child friendly console (bundle already on system mario etc). I feel like an early adopter again of the N64, it was a good console, but the drought was strong (for me) in the beginning. I also am not looking forward to many releases, maybe I'll buy Zelda, but I have never been a fan of the series. I could bite for a new Starfox, but Pikmin has always had a place in my heart, so yeah.

Backwards compatibility with Wii games is a big bonus though, a big bonus. Wii has one hell of a library.

I am not a big fan of achievements or trophies, I like them on games I want to sink time into (Halo), and I think Nintendo missed a trick here by not incorporating them. People love the reward, it also does incentivise replayability in censored games.

The controller itself is really actually not that bad. My only complaint is the battery life, 3 hours from fully charged to empty at the moment. My misses liked the fact you can play on it, and use the TV for something else, but we have iPad, laptops etc. Where do you buy a secondary WiiU pad, and does the WiiU support secondary touch pads?

I don't like the menu screen, at all. It's not my cup of tea. I don't care what people are thinking or drawing. The exception here is to the people I follow on twitter.

The games I fancy…

Tekken Tag 2 - Would rather get PS3 version. (will get PS3 version I think).
Zombi U - waiting till Christmas as I will have time then to sink in. (I know it's old, but I will buy new.)
Rayman legends - Think I would rather get PS3 version, but I won't buy on launch. will wait for price drop.

I'm struggling to think of any others.. (of top of my head this is).

In comparison, there are zero games I'm excited about for Xbox and PS3. Oh, Ketsui came out on Ps3 the other day, I'm excited for that.

I packed away my PS3 to make way for the WiiU, but that was a mistake. The PS3 is used so much or Blu Rays that I have to get it unpacked. Shame, this means I'm likely to not use the WiiU once I complete Pikmin for some time. Kind of feeling a Dreamcast PS2DVD scenario again, not that Sega and Nintendo are in a similar situation, at all.

The eShop is empty, compared to the wii. Get those Pc Engine games back on there. I have money to spend on some digital stuff, and no, Earthbound isn't for me. I don't want RPGs, I don't have the time.I want 16bit platformers and shooters. PSN and XBLA don't cater for this all that well either, but I'm a picky mother lover.

Why is the WiiU not region free? It should be, it really should be.I would have bought on launch if it was, in todays market region locking should have no place, it's just unfair (big fan of STGs).

Overall, I like the console. Controller isn't no where near as bad as people make out, but price point is wrong, and the games are few. I would recommend the console to people, but I would also recommend they waited until Christmas/ a price drop + a bundled Mario.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:59 pm

retrojc wrote:My impressions of the WiiU are as follows (though not well written ;))

Pikmin 3, and a £199 price point was the reason I bought a WiiU. I can't help but feel £199 for the pro version is still a little too much (£120 standard, £160 pro will make it seem like a nicer cheaper child friendly console (bundle already on system mario etc). I feel like an early adopter again of the N64, it was a good console, but the drought was strong (for me) in the beginning. I also am not looking forward to many releases, maybe I'll buy Zelda, but I have never been a fan of the series. I could bite for a new Starfox, but Pikmin has always had a place in my heart, so yeah.

Backwards compatibility with Wii games is a big bonus though, a big bonus. Wii has one hell of a library.

I am not a big fan of achievements or trophies, I like them on games I want to sink time into (Halo), and I think Nintendo missed a trick here by not incorporating them. People love the reward, it also does incentivise replayability in censored games.

The controller itself is really actually not that bad. My only complaint is the battery life, 3 hours from fully charged to empty at the moment. My misses liked the fact you can play on it, and use the TV for something else, but we have iPad, laptops etc. Where do you buy a secondary WiiU pad, and does the WiiU support secondary touch pads?

I don't like the menu screen, at all. It's not my cup of tea. I don't care what people are thinking or drawing. The exception here is to the people I follow on twitter.

The games I fancy…

Tekken Tag 2 - Would rather get PS3 version. (will get PS3 version I think).
Zombi U - waiting till Christmas as I will have time then to sink in. (I know it's old, but I will buy new.)
Rayman legends - Think I would rather get PS3 version, but I won't buy on launch. will wait for price drop.

I'm struggling to think of any others.. (of top of my head this is).

In comparison, there are zero games I'm excited about for Xbox and PS3. Oh, Ketsui came out on Ps3 the other day, I'm excited for that.

I packed away my PS3 to make way for the WiiU, but that was a mistake. The PS3 is used so much or Blu Rays that I have to get it unpacked. Shame, this means I'm likely to not use the WiiU once I complete Pikmin for some time. Kind of feeling a Dreamcast PS2DVD scenario again, not that Sega and Nintendo are in a similar situation, at all.

The eShop is empty, compared to the wii. Get those Pc Engine games back on there. I have money to spend on some digital stuff, and no, Earthbound isn't for me. I don't want RPGs, I don't have the time.I want 16bit platformers and shooters. PSN and XBLA don't cater for this all that well either, but I'm a picky motherlover.

Why is the WiiU not region free? It should be, it really should be.I would have bought on launch if it was, in todays market region locking should have no place, it's just unfair (big fan of STGs).

Overall, I like the console. Controller isn't no where near as bad as people make out, but price point is wrong, and the games are few. I would recommend the console to people, but I would also recommend they waited until Christmas/ a price drop + a bundled Mario.
Welcome to the world of Wii U ownership! Yes, the eShop is a bit barren at the moment. Why they can't immediately put all the titles available on Wii VC onto the Wii U eqiuvalent I'm not sure. EarthBound was a nice bonus which wasn't available on Wii, though if you don't like it that's hardly an argument! Hopefully more VC titles will follow and there are a lot of eShop specific games on the way.

As for games? I'd definitely recommend NSMBU if you like 16-bit platformers. Yes it's a bit samey if you've played previous NSMB games but I'd say it's the best of the bunch. Very good, inventive level design and nice graphics. If you don't already have it on PS3, the Wii U version of NFS:MW is easily the best console version and a real laugh, so you could stick that on the list.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:12 am

I'm loving NSMBU so far, I haven't played a NSMB game since the first DS one so it's still feeling 'N' to me. Not sure why I skipped the Wii version, but I did. The DS sequel is on my watch list, just waiting for it to drop below my acceptable price before I get it.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 am

Anyone planning on picking up The Wonderful 101 and/or Rayman Legends later this month?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am

ALK wrote:Anyone planning on picking up The Wonderful 101 and/or Rayman Legends later this month?
Wonderful 101 yes, not particularly interested in the Rayman games though so I'll give that one a miss.
Splink!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:41 pm

ALK wrote:Anyone planning on picking up The Wonderful 101 and/or Rayman Legends later this month?
Yes, but I'll be getting Rayman Legends on Vita. Rayman Origins worked quite a lot better for me as a handheld game and once I got it on Vita, I wasn't interested in playing my PS3 version anymore. I'm pretty sure the next one will be same (based on what I've played of it on the downloadable app/demo) and I can't really justify buying 2 versions of it if one won't be used. :p

Wonderful 101 looks excellent, I'm really looking forward to that.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Just frought that big muddy boss.....

0_0

...nuff said, freakin huge. XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:The ASDA story was bound to happen once they were selling off their stock a few months back. They still sell online which is the main thing. Shelf space is under a lot of competition, I wouldn't be suprised to see PS4/XB1 have the same issues after the initial launch, supermarkets are only interested in big sellers not building up a user base.
when i went to buy my wii u asda said they may or may not get one in, tesco made me laugh by saying we dont stock anything wii U just nomal wii so i ended up going to grainger games in the end as currys(or is it comet thats still open?) were over priced
This guy are sick