Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 pm

So I finally got a new Wii U game... Hyrule Warriors. Basically its Dynasty Warriors crossed with Zelda but Koei have actually taken care in creating the game. Its still a mindless hack and slash game for the most part but it also incorporates certain Zelda traits into the game.

For instance you can find hidden chests in the battlefield that give you new items (like bombs) that can then be used to destroy rocks and walls to uncover new paths. You can also get new weapons for characters that completely change their moves list - for example you can get a Firerod for Link which causes him to play completely differently compared to using Links sword.

There is also an adventure mode that blends warriors gameplay with a map mode where you can interact with the NES map (styled on the original game) to uncover new items using item cards (stuff like burning trees with the candle etc.)

The game also has large boss fights sort of like 3D Zelda games where you need to do more than just mash the attack button to win. You need to exploit their weak spot and use items uncovered in the level to triumph.

Its also got no voice acting (bar grunts) which I can understand with it being a Zelda game and all but I miss the hammy voice work of past warriors games!

Overall its still just a Dynasty Warriors game in a Zelda skin but the attention to detail is really decent, its not just a quick hack job that's for sure. Just a pity about the unstable frame rate...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 pm

It arrived yesterday and I'm enjoying it too, though I've never played a DW game before. The music is very kickass also and it's full of Zelda fanservice to delight fans as well. Voice acting would have been nice especially how good the cutscenes are, but there's at least a speaking narrator so its not a complete loss.

There's also a Season Pass available to order for about £13. New characters, outfits, Weapons, modes and whatnot, and buying the Season Pass gets you Dark Link as a bonus freeie.
Last edited by ALK on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:01 am

I'm actually tempted to get the season pass. Koei stuff is usually expensive (check out their Fist of the North Star stuff) so £13 for the lot is good. I'm really loving the game the more I play it, hard mode isn't really hard but forces you to fight the bosses more tactically which is good. I was using Lana last night and found that her "strong" attack is actually more useful than I gave it credit for - you can use it to leap off of the barrier things she creates for a wide area attack which is awesome.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:03 pm

System Update is live. This time actually give us some stuff like Folders much like the 3DS ones, and a couple more bits and bobs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... n_and_more
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Liking the ability to put my eShop games into folders. Makes the dashboard look a lot cleaner.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 am

I'll give the update a try, folders to clean up ugly icons sounds nice. Only three weeks until Bayonetta 2, can't wait - this game is why I bought a Wii-U. A 10/10 in edge is a pretty good start, it won't sell but who cares (maybe Nintendo).

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Smash Bros has been bundled, priced and dated for December 5th for us. The Amiibo figures arrive a week earlier.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u/super ... l=thgemail

Also the Gamecube adapter will work with any game that uses any of the Classic Controllers.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/1 ... smash_bros
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Nice date for Smash Bros. While I'm enjoying the 3DS version I feel there is something missing single player modes wise and also I really do want to play the game on a bigger TV (so the characters are bigger). It should be amazing.

I'm playing Sonic The Lost World at the mo on the Wii U and I seem to remember it getting low scores but after 3 worlds I'm still really enjoying it. The platforming is fun (bar wall running), they keep switching it up level wise and I like the rotating levels (works great for alternate routes). The 2D stuff has been good so far as well. Controls seem pretty good, its not quite as on rails or fast as previous entries in the series so the platforming feels less shallow and more fun. Oh, and it looks beautiful in motion as well, I think its the colour that does it.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 am

Bayonetta 2 demo appeared on the store last night for the UK. Damn fine demo and only 700MB!
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Downloaded Bayonetta demo last night, but still no had a chance to give it a try.

Hows does it compare with the original, do you think?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:29 am

skodathegreat wrote:Downloaded Bayonetta demo last night, but still no had a chance to give it a try.

Hows does it compare with the original, do you think?
Its at least as good in my opinion. Its fast paced, action packed and the combat system is just as good as before. I've played the demo several times since starting it yesterday, its just pretty much perfect. The boss battles especially are just excellent, I never remember them being this good in the previous game. It also helps that the game is insanely smooth. All in all its just a joy to play, and the fact that you can get the original game alongside the sequel on release is an excellent bargain. I can't wait to get my hands on it this week :mrgreen:

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 am

In a surprise move since they were taken off the Wii VC, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy is coming this week and the next 2 weeks on the Wii U VC, with a promotion to nab DKC Tropical Freeze for £23 if you own an DKC game. The DK Land games as well as a similar promotion for DKC Returns is happening on 3DS as well.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/1 ... ber_europe
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

The bayonetta 2 demo was awesome, had a big grin on my face the whole time. It did seem noticeably easier, I got gold's and silvers straight away and I couldn't really remember the buttons or any combos. Still, can't wait now, looks like GoTY to me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:56 am

Captain Toad's dated for January 9th. Not too far after Xmas I guess, but I guess its better it did not get ignored thanks to Smash Bros and MK8's first Xmas.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Don't know if anyone's aware or even cares but the last issue of ONM is on the shelves now - Future have apparently pulled the plug. Which basically means there's no dedicated Nintendo mag on the shelves for the first time since the early 90s at least.

A lot of people probably gave up on the mag a few years ago when it was basically a blandly designed corporate mouthpiece with reviews of questionable judgement and previews that were often nothing more than press releases printed verbatim. But since Matthew Castle took over the editor's chair after the cancellation of Nintendo Gamer the mag had really begun to turn around, inheriting a lot of the fun and humour of NG and its lineage all the way back to Super Play. It had become a real treat to read, something I enjoyed heartily and I have the whole Matthew Castle run of the mag stacked next to my toilet, which is a real seal of approval in our house!

What to do now? There are the multi-format mags of course - Games Master, GamesTM, EDGE and Gamer. But all of them tend to focus mainly on MS/Sony formats with only AAA Nintendo releases getting even a passing mention. On the other hand there is of course the internet which boasts many Nintendo-themed sites... I think, for the first time since my dad bought home our first issue of Electron User in around '84, I could be about to give up buying print mags for good. It's been a long strange trip that's taken in many different titles over the years (Amiga Power, SSM and Nintendo Gamer being high-points) but it's finally coming to an end. What a shame.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360