Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by LAIS » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am

ShadowMan wrote:I completed Super Mario 3D World at the weekend as close to 100% as I could (can't be bothered to replay the game as the other four characters just yet). Its an excellent game in my opinion, the level design is nice and varied so I never really felt I was playing the same level twice (bar the levels which were remixes) and the cat power up was a nice new addition to Mario's library. The boss fights were a breath of fresh air compared to the last couple of Mario games which were very simple. The difficulty on the whole I felt was still a tad easy in places but the later levels were better for me and the hidden collectables throughout the game were hidden very well and had me exploring the levels high and low to find them all.
The final level was a suitable challenge, took me quite a few tries to clear it but when I did finally finish it I did so without getting hit which I was proud of! I'm actually impressed that they managed to make something harder than 3D Lands final level! Also a general note on the hidden levels, they had a really nice quanitity of them, I really did think that the game was never going to end at one stage!

My only dislike on the game were the Captain Toad levels. I felt the camera angles hindered my enjoyment too much as it was a pain in the ass to see what was going on at points, especially on the final level with strict timing in several places.

Still, this ended up as my favourite Wii U game so far (with Pikmin 3 and NES Remix close behind). I'm tempted to get Zelda or Sonic once my backlog clears up slightly (or just wait until Smash Bros and Bayonetta are released).
Have you played Rayman Legends yet? That's still the one to beat for me, Assassin's Creed IV is also excellent.

Pleasantly surprised to see the sales data there, hopefully the game quality will shine through and the Wii U can have a 3DS-esque revival. It's my favorite console right now by far, a complete 180 on how I was feeling a year ago.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 am

look at it sideways wrote: Have you played Rayman Legends yet?
Yep. 100%ed both the Vita version and the PS3 version (including platinuming both!) probably pouring 150+ hours into the game easy across both platforms. Its better than Mario in my opinion as I just had more fun with it (ignoring the Murfy levels which I just didn't like the touch controls in the Vita versions, PS3 versions of the levels felt a tad to simple). I loved the challenge mode, I played that to death. I'm tempted by the next gen version if anything meaningful is improved, if not I'll impatiently hope for a sequel!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi all,

my Wii U Network name is

fastpotato

Hope to have a few games with you all soon !

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:24 pm

gman72 wrote:I'm on the WiiU now.
swampy101 is my tag please add me.
I was playing Metroid Prime on my WiiU last night... God I love that game.
Added, and.....
samhain81 wrote:Hi all,

my Wii U Network name is

fastpotato

Hope to have a few games with you all soon !
added. :)

Started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut last night (first time I've played it on any platform)....really good game, putting the maps and menus on the GamePad is damn helpful, and it's also a massive help when you're checking emails and eBooks without having to squint at the TV screen. Also some other interesting uses for it, like using it to target people with sniper rifles and the like more accurately. Shame all developers can't take this much time to make genuine use of the technology available to them.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:44 am

ToxieDogg wrote: Started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut last night (first time I've played it on any platform)....really good game, putting the maps and menus on the GamePad is damn helpful, and it's also a massive help when you're checking emails and eBooks without having to squint at the TV screen. Also some other interesting uses for it, like using it to target people with sniper rifles and the like more accurately. Shame all developers can't take this much time to make genuine use of the technology available to them.
I keep meaning to go back to this, (its also the first time I've played it on any platform) seems a decent game, got part way through it then Mario 3D World came alone which I still haven't fully finished it yet as it gets propper hardcore towards the end, especially when your going for every star, stamp & flag post!
im slowly chipping away at it tho...

The new Donkey Kong's out in less than a month, I've got my pre-order in, im guessing everyone's picking this up?
any word yet on weather or not its going to be as challenging as the Wii/3DS versions? :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 am

^ It's tough for sure.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Mootown wrote:^ It's tough for sure.
Nice! Hopefully get a couple of months out of it then like the last one!

Although in DKCR getting ALL of the collectables seems nigh on impossible, even for the most die hard fan :twisted:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 pm

I got Sonic and Mario at the Winter Olympics for the kids, god knows what it's like though! (average I believe!), still was £20 new. :?

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 pm

sscott wrote:I got Sonic and Mario at the Winter Olympics for the kids, god knows what it's like though! (average I believe!), still was £20 new. :?
Its decent. If best times and score are your thing, you and/or the kids should enjoy it.

Beware the snowboarding though. Its pretty broken (On the gamepad anyway, dunno if you can use anything else).
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Bit Trip Runner 2's on offer from this week for under £4, as well as a couple of other games on offer.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... ary_europe
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 am

Couple of release related news for us Wii U owners.

Mario Kart 8 coming in May worldwide
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... ay_release

DS games are coming to the Virtual Console, as well as an update that'll give us even quicker loading due Summer
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... al_console
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm

DS games on the Wii U sounds pretty decent using TV & gamepad but surely they would have to re do all the graphics or its gunna look crap blown up onto a big tv :?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Not to mention some games use both screens to be viewed at the same time. Be interesting to see how they emulate them. And assuming they emulate them correctly, I'm interested to see if the Wi-Fi games will allow online play asnd if so, if you can play against normal DS owners both online and even locally. Those DS servers could have a huge boost in lifetime if they make it happen... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 pm

About time they put DS games on the VC, although they'd be better suited to the 3DS I'd have thought?

Surely it will help generate sales for newer games in franchises if people get a chance to play the older ones first, like I think it would've helped the 3DS Layton games sell more if the DS originals had been on the E-Shop for instance.

Might (hopefully) be a way of getting Miles Edgeworth 2 released outside of Japan as well. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 am

Only a couple of weeks until the new donkey kong, mario kart for may, two games in six months is a start.

I'm pretty cynical about the DS games, it looks like they will work primarily on the pad to avoid the resolution issue. DS games with improved graphics, online etc at a reasonable price would be great. Quick cheap conversations released at a snails pace and with a £10-15 price tag would just open nintendo up to more ridicule.