Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Not mentioned in the Direct, but Japan's getting 2 new consoles for the Wii U VC in the MSX and good ol' PC Engine next week.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/1 ... e_services
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 am

So did anyone download Nes Remix yesterday? I'm starting to get addicted to it... The idea of including a variety of Nes titles with challenges attached to them appealed to me and this might end up being one of my surprises of this year. Its really addictive aiming for the top ranks (3 shiny stars) in each level and the main remix levels are nice twists on old games. Well worth a download for anyone interested.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am

I'm really not sure about a zelda dynasty warriors game. It smacks of desperation and just a quick re-skin to fill a hole in the release schedule. It might be ok in Japan but in the west the poor reviews will harm the zelda franchise.

Mario kart looks ace though, give us a release date dammit!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

The CD-i Ones didnt harm it

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 am

I can't wait for Dynasty Warriors Zelda. I love the series and I'll probably get quite a lot of enjoyment out of it. Perhaps not as cool as a Zelda themed Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden but still something I'll enjoy.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:43 am

Could be worse, could of been Link's Crossbow Training 2: Now With Even Less Content! XD

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but it looks fun. Really digging those guitar remixes of Zelda tunes. Dunno if it'll happen, but kinda hope it has an online multiplayer. Could be fun either teaming up with friends or defend yourself from them. XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 pm

More articles cropping up claiming (completely baselessly) that Nintendo is about to be forced to start publishing games on rival hardware.

What is is about these people that makes them absolutely refuse to buy a Nintendo console, yet fantasise about Nintendo releasing games on rival consoles or tablets? If you're that desperate to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo console. Jesus, what's so hard about this? If I was sitting here crying into my beard because I was absolutely desperate to play Halo but I didn't have a 360, is the solution to spend hours composing badly written blog posts in which I demand that Microsoft release a Halo game on rival consoles? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 360?

Any console is only as strong as its exclusives. At the moment, the only thing that's keeping the Wii U afloat at all is its strong 1st party line-up. And yet these armchair analysts think the best way forward is for Ninetendo to make these exclusives not exclusive? What fresh madness is this?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 am

killbot wrote:More articles cropping up claiming (completely baselessly) that Nintendo is about to be forced to start publishing games on rival hardware.

What is is about these people that makes them absolutely refuse to buy a Nintendo console, yet fantasise about Nintendo releasing games on rival consoles or tablets? If you're that desperate to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo console. Jesus, what's so hard about this? If I was sitting here crying into my beard because I was absolutely desperate to play Halo but I didn't have a 360, is the solution to spend hours composing badly written blog posts in which I demand that Microsoft release a Halo game on rival consoles? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 360?

Any console is only as strong as its exclusives. At the moment, the only thing that's keeping the Wii U afloat at all is its strong 1st party line-up. And yet these armchair analysts think the best way forward is for Ninetendo to make these exclusives not exclusive? What fresh madness is this?
But if these guys (who undoubtedly consider themselves 'harcore' gamers) bought a Nintendo console, then they would be somehow compromising their 'coolness'. Remember: Xbox is cool, Nintendo is Kids.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 am

ShadowMan wrote:So did anyone download Nes Remix yesterday? I'm starting to get addicted to it... The idea of including a variety of Nes titles with challenges attached to them appealed to me and this might end up being one of my surprises of this year. Its really addictive aiming for the top ranks (3 shiny stars) in each level and the main remix levels are nice twists on old games. Well worth a download for anyone interested.
Yeah i'm really enjoying this too... Well i say enjoy... the kind of enjoyment were you slog away for hours trying to get the fastest time possible in order to make your stars glow in rainbow colours... making a mistake and restarting again and again... its a kind of pain/pleasure deal... I like the stamps, you'd think they'd be lame but they are uber-cool... I will be using them in miiverse at some point...

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:37 am

killbot wrote:More articles cropping up claiming (completely baselessly) that Nintendo is about to be forced to start publishing games on rival hardware.

Its a bit like deja-vu too... all this doom and gloom on the net at the moment... these were all the same arguments that were about during the N64/Gamecube days... arguments that were all proved utter garbage by the success of the wii... People should learn not to make wild predictions based purely on their own opinions, but they won't cause they're idjits!

I'd like to see Nintendo get into the mobile phone market however, but i'd like them to make a Nintendo Phone and all content to be just for it, I would definitly buy one... And i'd like it to be purple and covered in that gamecube controller plastic...

My one gripe about my wiiU is that it looks too sophisticated... I want it to look like a toy made for a 2 year old.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:24 pm

It is laughable and I completely agree...if you want Nintendo games, buy a bloody Nintendo console!

The crazy thing is....if Nintendo were to suddenly just become a third party developer (which really doesn't have a chance of happening unless their next 2 consoles after Wii U also have low sales figures), then Sony and Microsoft would be absolutely falling over themselves to secure exclusive rights to Mario and Zelda and the rest, and then you'd get all this positive hype about how Mario is now 'Xbox exclusive' or whatever and that would be a 'good' thing and a 'major selling point' for Xboxes according to these armchair morons who keep peddling doom and gloom stories about Nintendo.

And even if Nintendo were to stop making home consoles at any point, their handhelds are still massively successful, a point that seems to be overlooked by just about every one of these so called analysts. It would make absolutely no sense whatsover to port any of their IPs to other consoles or mobile devices when they still make their own gaming devices. None.

On a different note, NES Remix is absolutely excellent, really really enjoying it. One thing I am looking forward to in 2014 is all of the E=Shop indie games that were announced earlier in the year, I think they're going to be a massive asset going forward despite Nintendo losing third party support from many of the 'bigger' publishers....relationships formed with some of the more talented indies now will secure some excellent exclusives further down the line. I already think Shin'en are one of the better developers to have appeared in recent years and if their upcoming version of FAST U is anywhere near as good as FAST Racing League on WiiWare, then the Wii U might not actually need a new F-Zero game after all. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:45 am

Might of been an error, but my local Tesco had Pikmin 3 priced at £15. (Its the Chatham Kent one for all ya local retro nuts).

Also, all the Nintendo Internet services are down for some reason. Ouch for all those Xmas day eShop sales....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:28 am

Yeah. Luckily I downloaded almost everything I wanted (such as all the remaining Zen Pinball 2 tables I didn't have and Star Wars Pinball) before the Xmas network problems hit. Now, I can download bits of data fine like the daily puzzle in Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy on 3DS, but I haven't been able to access the e-Shop for over 24 hours now.

Apparently that's quite a big problem for people who've gotten the Zelda Wind Waker Wii U pack over Xmas, as it doesn't come with a physical copy of the game, only a download code. People aren't actually able to download their new game. :(

It's not exactly a great advert for the publishers who'd like customers to download all their games instead of buying physical copies.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:44 am

Precisely why I don't like the 'all digital future'.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 pm

RetroBob wrote:Precisely why I don't like the 'all digital future'.
Aye, I can only imagine the problems that are going to occur in the future whenever a hugely anticipated game like GTA is released and the only option for it is download, might be an extra week or so before many people can get to play it...can't see that being acceptable to many people really.

Still can't get onto the E-Shop as I type this. What does bother me is that I've got £5 worth of credit stuck on my account that I've currently got no access to. :evil:

To be fair, even PSN was being sketchy with me last night when I was checking the PSN store on my Vita...kept throwing up error messages and booted me off twice. I was able to get straight back on both times though.