Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:01 am

3D World looks a bit good :D
reviews round up http://www.computerandvideogames.com/43 ... g-for-joy/

Was gunna get it for Christmas but balls to that-im getting it for launch!

a quote from EDGE stands out most, "this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced"
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 am

The reviews for mario 3D are really good, can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 am

I had ten pound odd left in money to last me till tomorrow so thought I'd pop into blockbuster and see what they had.
I bought sports connection and fifa 13. Cost me £10.47 for both. Quite happy as even though they arnt aaa titles they will keep me happy till tomorrow when I get paid. It's been a long month.

I want to get as many games as possible for this console as the ps4/xbox one are not pulling me in the way the wii u was.
The only game I'm looking forward too is uncharted 4 whenever that comes out.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 pm

The new Mario World looks absolutely awesome, I can't wait to get a copy! Sadly it'll have to wait with Wind Waker HD until christmas.

Been loving the range of titles finally available for Wii U though! It's just a shame that some games are stuck at full retail. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a prime example :? $30? Sure! $60? Erm. no. :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Sister is buying me 'Mario 3d' for Christmas gives me a excuse to unpack the Wii.. Think the Wii U is really hitting is stride what with triple AAA titles like Zelda HD, Mario 3D and Pikumon.. I see a lot of titles like Ninja Gaiden and Batman are £10 in Game at the moment
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 am

My latest Wii U pick up :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:52 am

How much did you get it for? I need a new controller but they seem so expensive. I did see a Batman AO Wii-mote and nunchuck for £30 in GAME the other day which seemed reasonable.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 am

RetroBob wrote:How much did you get it for? I need a new controller but they seem so expensive. I did see a Batman AO Wii-mote and nunchuck for £30 in GAME the other day which seemed reasonable.
Cost £35 at Amazon, theres a Mario style one aswell.

if you just want a standard white one then ive got some for sale in my sales thread, got nunchucks also if you need any :wink:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 pm

So Xbox One is close to outselling Wii U after only a week on sale in the UK. Which is a complete and utter PR disaster from Nintendo's point of view.

They just need to get their heads down, realise they're in a different race to Microsoft, and knuckle down to it. Xbox fans are cash-rich guys in their 20s and 30s, of course they were always going to go out and buy it straight away. Nintendo's younger audience is often reliant on either their parents to buy them new hardware or on them being able to save up, and they're probably not going to get one until they feel there's enough decent games to justify the outlay. Nintendo can still pull this out of the fire if they can provide enough of those games. Getting the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. out on time has got to be a priority now.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

That's really put into perspective how much the Wii U has bombed at retail here in the UK. Jesus.

I'm still optimistic for a Wii U Lazarus-like recovery, à la 3DS in 2012 and particularly 2013. Then again, it might be destined to struggle, à la GameCube. Irregardless, I don't doubt that those who stick by the Wii U will be treated to some absolutely brilliant games. We know they're on the way in 2014.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Roo wrote:That's really put into perspective how much the Wii U has bombed at retail here in the UK. Jesus.

I'm still optimistic for a Wii U Lazarus-like recovery, à la 3DS in 2012 and particularly 2013. Then again, it might be destined to struggle, à la GameCube. Irregardless, I don't doubt that those who stick by the Wii U will be treated to some absolutely brilliant games. We know they're on the way in 2014.
The 3DS was in a very similar position at this point. With the right games, Nintendo can definitely still turn this around. But we need Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. yesterday and we need announcements on the likes of Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and some kind of Pokemon game sooner rather than later.

Nintendo is in a quandry. It needs a glut of good games - like the 3DS has just had - and it needs them fast. It needs to be rubbing so many great games in the public's collective face that they can't just ignore it. But rushing titles out is not Nintendo's way of doing things, and their legendary attention to detail is precisely why they enjoy the reputation they do. So they can't just rush these games out to order.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 pm

The irony of this, at least to my mind, is that, despite a thin catalogue and a lack of diversity, the Wii U already has a range of really good games. I don't recall any system having exclusives of the caliber Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, The Wonderful 101, Nintendo Land (and several others) in Year One.

What a disappointment that Nintendo UK isn't ramming them down the public's collective face, mind. I honestly think Nintendo is on the cusp of something very desirable with the Wii U, but how would you know if you didn't already have the thing? I had read in an interview elsewhere that Nintendo UK had their marketing budget obliterated a couple of years ago. Wish I could remember where that was. If anybody's wondering why we're not seeing adverts for Wii Fit U around the clock, that's apparently the reason.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll still be picking up Mario 3D on launch day, even though my PS4 is being delivered on Friday! :lol:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:43 pm

killbot wrote:The 3DS was in a very similar position at this point. With the right games, Nintendo can definitely still turn this around. But we need Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. yesterday and we need announcements on the likes of Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and some kind of Pokemon game sooner rather than later.
The thing with the 3DS was that when they realised it was struggling, they very quickly slashed the price (leading to the Ambassador's gift programme for early adopters with the free downloadable NES and GBA games) and also got Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 out in time for it's first Xmas....I remember being pretty confident once they announced a release date for Mario Kart 7 that the 3DS would be OK. I'd argue that Mario Kart is the much more important 'killer' app for any Nintendo console than a 3D Mario game.

The biggest problem with Wii U is that Nintendo didn't really have any standout titles to support it at launch....New Super Mario Bros U is brilliant but unless you're a diehard Nintendo fan, you could be forgiven for thinking it's 'just another samey New Super Mario Bros game', and one had already come out on the 3DS earlier in the year anyway.

I think the Wii U should've been held back a year. Now, that might sound potentially suicidal, what with the Xbox One and PS4 launching at the moment, but imagine if the launch line up had consisted of Super Mario 3D World, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3, Sonic Lost World....and they'd have put out all the stops to get Mario Kart 8 ready for launch as well? It would have been a launch line up that could have potentially stolen all the thunder away from the other machines that only have slim pickings at the moment. Especially if they'd have made a big point about the online play being completely free.

Now, Nintendo are in the very unfortunate position of having a very good library of games with more to follow soon but because they've taken so long to get to this point (Pikmin 3 really should've been a launch game at any rate, and they took way too long to start generating hype about Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.), all the momentum has been buried underneath the Xbox One/PS4 hype this year. I honestly don't know if the Wii U can recover from that. I hope it will, or at least recover enough to generate a half decent profit for Nintendo, but they've really dropped the ball. They're definitely not advertising enough, that's for sure. It's crazy that when the Wii was riding high, they were pushing adverts down people's throats when it wasn't really needed but now the Wii U's struggling, they're not doing anywhere near as much to generate a buzz about it.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 am

I don't think the comparison with 3DS is valid any longer, the wii u has been on sale too long. The games are coming but a price cut is needed really. The bundle with mario 3D and the super mario games for £300 is ok (plus hat :) but the headline price is still only £50 less than the PS4. They need the console and a game for under £200 for it to start selling.