Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skodathegreat

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by skodathegreat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Just got a new pro controller. Pretty nice, very comfortable but the front sure is shiny, fingerprint magnet :) Should come in handy for bayonetta and multiplayer mariokart.
I wasn't a fan to begin with, but been using to play Wind Waker, and its been great.
Light and really fits the hand well. I actually think it beats the 360 pad for comfort (just).

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm

+1 for the Pro Controller.

I've been using it to play Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Need For Speed Most Wanted U, Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and have also found it more comfortable to use than the GamePad for games like New Super Mario Bros U.

It does make you wonder why they bothered with the GamePad. I can understand that they were trying to be innovative and do something different, but 2 screen gameplay? The DS/3DS have got that market sewn up already and do it so much better by having the screens always positioned next to each other and easily within your line of sight, something you just simply can't do comfortably with a GamePad and TV.

Games like Zombi U and Game & Wario which make really good use of it are likely to be very few and far between, even on Lego City Undercover (a game I've massively enjoyed) it seems a little unnecessary. I'll be surprised if, by the end of the Wii U's lifespan, there's even 10 games total that create an experience that couldn't have been done without the GamePad to be honest.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:59 am

Speaking of the pointless thing, the High Capacity Battery for the Gamepad is now available for order on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Pad-High-C ... ds=battery

Not exactly cheap, but will pick one up eventually...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 am

Nintendo Land and Game & Wario use the GamePad in cool ways that you wouldn't have been able to achieve without it. To be fair though, those 2 games are ace with a load of mates, not so much on your own.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 am

I just bought Wonderful 101 for £25. It better be good...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

£24.99 isn't too bad for the battery, an extra couple of hours would really help. It seems obvious now Nintendo had no secret ideas for how to use the second screen, it comes in handy for maps but I can't see myself ever using it for small screen play.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Mootown wrote:Nintendo Land and Game & Wario use the GamePad in cool ways that you wouldn't have been able to achieve without it. To be fair though, those 2 games are ace with a load of mates, not so much on your own.
I've not gotten much use out of NintendoLand as a solo gamer (it's definitely a good piece of software, just much more geared for local multiplayer as you say) but I am one of the few who actually prefers Game & Wario to it. I don't know if it's the humour or whatever, but I've really enjoyed what I've played of Game & Wario on my own so far and the GamePad usage, especially on 9-Volt's stage is really clever, plus I like the quickfire sketching minigame attached to MiiVerse.

Like I said though, it's one of the games that does actually make good use of the GamePad along with Zombi U. There aren't really any others (well, maybe Lego City Undercover, though I think it's more of a gimmick there) You can play them all just fine with the Classic Controller Pro, and for the most part, they're much more comfortable that way instead of having to hold a big blocky controller on your lap and keep looking away from the main screen completely to see things on it.

Obviously I'm not saying the games are bad....I think Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3 and Need For Speed Most Wanted U are excellent, and I've even finally started to really appreciate Zelda: The Wind Waker more since giving it another chance in HD. But the GamePad barely benefits them at all.

Dual screen gaming just works much better on a dedicated handheld. Trying to replicate that on a large TV and chunky controller with a built in screen just feels cumbersome and clunky. Bar the odd standout game like Zombi U and some party minigames, it's a bit hard to see what the future holds for titles which make worthwhile use of the GamePad at the moment. It's a shame as I really want the Wii U to do well in the long term, Nintendo are always my first choice of console. If this gen's a war they can't win, I'd at least like to see them go down swinging with a bunch of unique gameplay experiences that the Xbox One/PS4 can't match. I'm really looking forward to Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Kart U and Smash Bros U next year, I'm sure they'll all be excellent games. but I'm also pretty sure that it won't make much difference if I play them all with the Classic Controller Pro instead......
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 am

Anyone know where I can get a console stand from? I want to sit the console vertically, all I can find is some naff 'radiator stands' on ebay.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 am

Wind Waker HD gives the Hardware sales a much needed push in the UK.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/1 ... ware_sales
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Anyone know where I can get a console stand from? I want to sit the console vertically, all I can find is some naff 'radiator stands' on ebay.
Have you got the White console? The black one should come with 2 little stands you clip on the bottom.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Anyone know where I can get a console stand from? I want to sit the console vertically, all I can find is some naff 'radiator stands' on ebay.
You can have my stands if you want them, came with the Premium pack still sealed as well I think
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:46 am

Shinobi wrote:You can have my stands if you want them, came with the Premium pack still sealed as well I think
That would be awesome, pm'd :)

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am

just passing through,i spotted 30 minute gameplay video for sonic lost world and thought it might interest some in here.it's in spanish or something.

http://youtu.be/AlQ6ssmKBr4
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Ok, I've done the earth and wind temples, got three of the eight shards....this has been streamlined? Still seems like a right faff and a lot of padding. All I've got is a chart with a couple of triforce locations, one of which is a ghost ship. I'll keep at it, everytime I find a secret bit I just get another map for my troubles, your heart peice is in another chest.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:56 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Ok, I've done the earth and wind temples, got three of the eight shards....this has been streamlined? Still seems like a right faff and a lot of padding. All I've got is a chart with a couple of triforce locations, one of which is a ghost ship. I'll keep at it, everytime I find a secret bit I just get another map for my troubles, your heart peice is in another chest.
The end part is also the opportunity to explore all the bits you never went to - some people hate it, I actually quite liked cruising around on the GameCube one at the end - in fact it had never crossed my mind once in ten years that the ending was padded out, but now it seems to be some kind of huge issue for many folk. Weird how I've never heard it talked about until the HD version changed it.