Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ALK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Japan's getting a disc release of both NES Remix games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... l_in_japan

Wouldnt be surprised if they brought that here to fill a tiny gap in the physical game releases....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:37 am

Nautical Rudie wrote:Was a pretty underwhelming Direct, especially for Wii U. Looks like we've got another drought between DKCTF in a few days and MK8 in several months time. pretty excited for NEW Remix 2 though! Started 3D World a few days ago too, 4 worlds in and finding it kinda dull. Mario feels really heavy and it feels like i'm just playing 3D Land again (which I admittedly thought was excellent, just dont need to play a rehash). Same issue I had with Galaxy 2 really.
I think with this direct everyone was hoping that nintendo would suddenly announce a dozen new games outta nowhere... Like "Take that slump!"...
Silly really, as its only been a month since they cut their sales projections, not really enough time to do anything... but still dispointing
Although i'm sure the next direct will announce a new Zelda, FZero, Metroid, Star Fox all coming out by the end of the year and several
new IPs that will shake the very foundations of gaming to its core... :P

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 am

ALK wrote:Japan's getting a disc release of both NES Remix games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... l_in_japan

Wouldnt be surprised if they brought that here to fill a tiny gap in the physical game releases....
That box art is glorious.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 am

Pier Solar dated for April. Guess that's something.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... uld_happen
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 am

sirpigmeat wrote:
Nautical Rudie wrote:Was a pretty underwhelming Direct, especially for Wii U. Looks like we've got another drought between DKCTF in a few days and MK8 in several months time. pretty excited for NEW Remix 2 though! Started 3D World a few days ago too, 4 worlds in and finding it kinda dull. Mario feels really heavy and it feels like i'm just playing 3D Land again (which I admittedly thought was excellent, just dont need to play a rehash). Same issue I had with Galaxy 2 really.
I think with this direct everyone was hoping that nintendo would suddenly announce a dozen new games outta nowhere... Like "Take that slump!"...
Silly really, as its only been a month since they cut their sales projections, not really enough time to do anything... but still dispointing
Although i'm sure the next direct will announce a new Zelda, FZero, Metroid, Star Fox all coming out by the end of the year and several
new IPs that will shake the very foundations of gaming to its core... :P
Yeah there was a lot of expectation but it wasn't unfounded - Nintendo themselves previously acknowledged last years gap and said it wouldn't happen again. And yet....

its also not helped by the consistent turnout of quality 3DS games that has been going on for nearly 2 years now. Granted I'm not overly taken with the upcoming Yoshi, Kirby, Steel Diver, and Mario Golf games, but at least there are options
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Well I gave up with Mario 3D world. What started out as a fun and inventive game degenerated into frustrating and tedious gameplay. I was still enjoying the game until about world 8, then I realised I just wanted to get through each level to get to the end. There are still some really fun bits, but more and more instant death p*ssing about stuff. Levels are too reliant on having the right suit, too many times you have to die to work out what to do, why even bother with lives? Most of all I was struggling with judging the jumps in 3d. The final straw came when after battling through a few difficult levels I got to the castle only to be told I needed another 15 green stars to continue. Re-played a few but I was happy to get through them the first time, trying to find stars and do them again........no thanks. I can see the appeal to those that like their platforming but this game is not going to sell consoles, I don't think it's a classic game by any means.

Cancelled my pre-order for donkey kong too. Lots of 7/10 reviews and the same comments on instant death purist platforming towards the end. £35 for a snes game in HD is just too much when so much else is on offer elsewhere. Used the money to pre-order Mario Kart, which I know will be great. Having a game every few months is ok if the games last you a while and you like them all, if you get one that's not to your tastes its a 6 month gap for the next one.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Well I gave up with Mario 3D world. What started out as a fun and inventive game degenerated into frustrating and tedious gameplay. I was still enjoying the game until about world 8, then I realised I just wanted to get through each level to get to the end. There are still some really fun bits, but more and more instant death p*ssing about stuff. Levels are too reliant on having the right suit, too many times you have to die to work out what to do, why even bother with lives? Most of all I was struggling with judging the jumps in 3d. The final straw came when after battling through a few difficult levels I got to the castle only to be told I needed another 15 green stars to continue. Re-played a few but I was happy to get through them the first time, trying to find stars and do them again........no thanks. I can see the appeal to those that like their platforming but this game is not going to sell consoles, I don't think it's a classic game by any means.

Cancelled my pre-order for donkey kong too. Lots of 7/10 reviews and the same comments on instant death purist platforming towards the end. £35 for a snes game in HD is just too much when so much else is on offer elsewhere. Used the money to pre-order Mario Kart, which I know will be great. Having a game every few months is ok if the games last you a while and you like them all, if you get one that's not to your tastes its a 6 month gap for the next one.
I've had the reverse problem with it, i've got up to world 5 and its been way too easy thus far, i'm looking forward to the later levels for a bit more of a challenge, but finding myself not really coming back to it enough to get to them... Some of the levels have had some great mechanics, loved the level 3 ghost house especially... but I think maybe the game as a whole is a bit inchoherent... like the mix is off a bit? Other mario games always have me going "i' really have to go and do such and such... just one more level" I feel more like i'm ploughing through this for the sake of it... Although this might just be Mario overexposure on my part, after mario land, mario U, might need to take a break and come back to it with fresh eyes.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Well I gave up with Mario 3D world. What started out as a fun and inventive game degenerated into frustrating and tedious gameplay. I was still enjoying the game until about world 8, then I realised I just wanted to get through each level to get to the end. There are still some really fun bits, but more and more instant death p*ssing about stuff. Levels are too reliant on having the right suit, too many times you have to die to work out what to do, why even bother with lives? Most of all I was struggling with judging the jumps in 3d. The final straw came when after battling through a few difficult levels I got to the castle only to be told I needed another 15 green stars to continue. Re-played a few but I was happy to get through them the first time, trying to find stars and do them again........no thanks. I can see the appeal to those that like their platforming but this game is not going to sell consoles, I don't think it's a classic game by any means.
Hmmm. You shouldn't have ever reached a point where you didn't have enough stars to unlock the next level, not before defeating Bowser at the end and accessing the bonus world anyway....the game practically gives them away....you can get loads of stars quickly and easily from the 'Captain Toad' stages and the challenge houses. I agree that it's probably not quite a console selling game either TBH, although I still think it's superb.
Fightersmegamix wrote:Cancelled my pre-order for donkey kong too. Lots of 7/10 reviews and the same comments on instant death purist platforming towards the end. £35 for a snes game in HD is just too much when so much else is on offer elsewhere. Used the money to pre-order Mario Kart, which I know will be great. Having a game every few months is ok if the games last you a while and you like them all, if you get one that's not to your tastes its a 6 month gap for the next one.
I'll take it you've never played the first Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii or 3DS then? It was noticeably much, much more difficult than than the original SNES Donkey Kong Country games, full of instant deaths unless you took time to learn the levels and I think everybody who did play it is pretty much expecting the next one from the same developer (Retro) to be similar. Quite a lot of brilliantly inventive level designs though and I'm sure there will be in Tropical Freeze too. The only thing I don't understand is why the first Donkey Kong Country Returns got unanimously good reviews and this one isn't so much? Maybe newer reviewers can't handle genuinely difficult games anymore? :lol:

For the record, my nephew has 200%'d Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D on the 3DS (better than I can do, just finishing the main levels with all the 'KONG' letters is struggle enough for me) and he's only 10....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 am

I'm actually more hyped for DK because of the reviews. Put an easy mode in if you want to make the game easier, I want a hard platformer like the old 8/16 bit days. Capcom got that right with Megaman 9 and 10, Retro mainly got it right with DKCR (bar the later barrel missions and the shake controls, though the 3DS fixed that last issue). For the record I though Mario 3D Land was still a tad too easy for the most part. Later levels got the challenge right but the first 5-6 worlds or so were just too easy for me. Ditto with Super Luigi U. It got hard at the end but I still felt it was still a tad too easy especially as it was billed as a "hard mode" for Mario U.

I should have my copy of DK today/tomorrow if I'm lucky. Can't wait, I've not touched my Wii U since finishing Mario 3D World last Christmas...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:34 am

ShadowMan wrote:I'm actually more hyped for DK because of the reviews. Put an easy mode in if you want to make the game easier, I want a hard platformer like the old 8/16 bit days. Capcom got that right with Megaman 9 and 10, Retro mainly got it right with DKCR (bar the later barrel missions and the shake controls, though the 3DS fixed that last issue). For the record I though Mario 3D Land was still a tad too easy for the most part. Later levels got the challenge right but the first 5-6 worlds or so were just too easy for me. Ditto with Super Luigi U. It got hard at the end but I still felt it was still a tad too easy especially as it was billed as a "hard mode" for Mario U.

I should have my copy of DK today/tomorrow if I'm lucky. Can't wait, I've not touched my Wii U since finishing Mario 3D World last Christmas...
Mine should come tommorow, i'm really hoping its rock hard, haven't played anything for awhile thats made me scream abuse at my tv! :D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

Got DK Tropical Freeze today (played through the whole first world now) and I think the difficulty level's on a par with the first DKC Returns so far...not impossibly difficult but certainly far from easy. The new additions really make a great difference to it IMO, like being able to jump in water and swim around...took a bit of time to adjust to that because I've been playing the first one a lot recently again and falling in water meant instant death in the original :lol:

Playing with Cranky Kong makes the game feel like Duck Tales all of a sudden, pogo-ing on spikes and stuff. There's definitely loads of secrets to find and I've so far been impressed by what I've seen in terms of level design :) I'm also pleased that this time around you have to find hidden exits on stages yourself to get to alternative routes on the world map rather than just buy a key from Cranky's store to unlock them, that felt a little pointless in the first game.

Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if modern reviewers are frightened of challenging games. First Sonic: Lost World gets slated and now this. Nothing much wrong with either game IMHO. Think a lot of people got upset because they wanted Retro Studios to make a new Metroid game instead of a new Donkey Kong as well, and already had it in for Tropical Freeze from the start rather than give it a fair chance.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if modern reviewers are frightened of challenging games. First Sonic: Lost World gets slated and now this. Nothing much wrong with either game IMHO. .
You could be on to something there. And not just reviewers. I know plenty of huys at my works, who are a decade or more younger than me, who get annoyed if game is 'too difficult' and just stop playing. And by 'too difficult' I don't mean GnG level difficultly, I mean 'anyone with 2 hands and eyes can complete this in 6 hours max' difficult.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm

I think there is a difference between a hard game where you can learn from stupid errors and games that are designed to be so frustratingly spiteful that you throw them in disgust.

Ive read reviews on the new DK game and the thing that will annoy me straight off is the boss battles wherby theyre split into 3 stages and if you die you start back at the start of the battle - its rayman origins all over again.
Memorise moves but misstime once and instant death. I like a challenge but not to the extremes of teeth grinding.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Decent save points, controls that mean every mistake is yours and being able to see stuff coming so your not making leaps of faith are the holy trinity of hardness, as long as these are sorted, make it tough as you like... I have seen DK criticized about all three in reviews, but that could easily be reviewers making excuses for their poor performance...
I get more annoyed at reviewers who say games are too easy or too short, when admitting they haven't even collected all the stars or run through the whole game without opening up secrets and side missions...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:07 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:I think there is a difference between a hard game where you can learn from stupid errors and games that are designed to be so frustratingly spiteful that you throw them in disgust.

Ive read reviews on the new DK game and the thing that will annoy me straight off is the boss battles wherby theyre split into 3 stages and if you die you start back at the start of the battle - its rayman origins all over again.
Memorise moves but misstime once and instant death. I like a challenge but not to the extremes of teeth grinding.
There's nothing much worse than anything in the original SNES games here though, and I beat the World 1 boss on my first try....yeah, I expect them to get more difficult later on but I think some reviewers are overstating the challenge a bit and obviously don't have any experience with the kinds of games we grew up with, that are just second nature to us, so it's been a culture shock for them. Even if they'd played the Wii version of Donkey Kong Country Returns, they should've known what to expect, it's no different whatsoever to how the gameplay mechanics worked in that game.

As I've said, my 10 year old nephew was able to do everything there was to do on Donkey Kong Country Returns (and I'm pretty sure he's not exactly some kind of child prodigy hardcore gamer) and loved it, so when I hear of grown men actually marking the game down because they found some of it too difficult, it just makes me wonder if the problem's more with them just being a bit crap at it than the game itself, and not wanting to have to die a few times on a level and practice it a bit to get the hang of it properly.

I was surprised at the sheer amount of complaints about problems with the controls and difficulty I read about for Sonic: Lost World when that came out....it's a challenging game in parts but I really didn't have any problems with it that weren't mostly my own fault :wink:
sirpigmeat wrote:I get more annoyed at reviewers who say games are too easy or too short, when admitting they haven't even collected all the stars or run through the whole game without opening up secrets and side missions...
Oh, that annoys the hell out of me too...I can usually quite easily add a few hours playtime on for myself to most quoted times for how long a game should last on a playthrough. If you don't take the time to explore levels properly then you're usually missing out on quite a lot.