Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 am

The wonderful 101 demo really put me off, which is a shame as I had high hopes for the game. The combination of the camera zooming in and out (usually too close), controls (touchscreen, standard and motion controls) and lack of explanation of how to play was pretty frustrating. The bit in the warehouse where you have to start looking at the gamepad was the final straw. I understand it was a puzzle between the two views but it was all too much. It felt like they just threw the Cheap MDF rubbish sink at the game to see what would work.

The game won't sell and everyone will complain about people buying COD and fifa but in this case, although original, 101 is a poor game. I'll definitely pick up pikmin 3 instead.

User avatar
TheNewMonkey
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:30 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:I tried the W101 demo and didn't really like it at all so that's off my to buy list
Yeah...I've not taken to The Wonderful 101 as much as I hoped. Seems weird and difficult to me, and not in a good way either. The tutorials aren't much help (not good considering the game comes with no manual), I'm not liking using the right analogue stick to create attack formations at all, the camera angles on certain sections aren't brilliant and it's a pain having to swap stuff between the main TV screen and Gamepad during sections when you go inside buildings. I'm going to stick with it and give myself a proper chance to get used to it but I can imagine the demo put plenty of people off.

Even though I'd have still given it a go on another format, I don't think it would have sold all that well on Xbox 360 or PS3 either.
TheNewMonkey wrote:I've got that zelda collectors edition pre ordered along with donkey kong & Mario world, sonic lost worlds is another one to add to that list once that version with the Nights DLC is up for order, has anyone seen it listed yet?
There's a version that comes with the Nights DLC? I thought it was going to be available to everyone, didn't think you had to buy a specific version of the game to get it. :?
You might be right about that DLC, I hope you are!
I thought id read on nintendolife that its a separate edition but I might have just read it wrong :lol:
Fightersmegamix wrote:The wonderful 101 demo really put me off, which is a shame as I had high hopes for the game. The combination of the camera zooming in and out (usually too close), controls (touchscreen, standard and motion controls) and lack of explanation of how to play was pretty frustrating. The bit in the warehouse where you have to start looking at the gamepad was the final straw. I understand it was a puzzle between the two views but it was all too much. It felt like they just threw the Cheap MDF rubbish sink at the game to see what would work.

The game won't sell and everyone will complain about people buying COD and fifa but in this case, although original, 101 is a poor game. I'll definitely pick up pikmin 3 instead.
that warehouse is the exact bit that annoyed me, I deleted it just after that! I also didn't like the controls in the game either.

ive still not picked up pikmin 3 as im not sure its for me, ill probably get it if I see it cheap but im in no rush, im still chipping away at Trine, Earthbound, Mighty swith force, NFS Most wanted & Luigi U, I havnt even made a start on Lego city even though I bought it at launch... :oops:

oh yea and Rayman legends, and people say the WiiU has no games :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ALK
Posts: 2950
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Just played more 101 earlier. I'm adapting to the controls a lot better now and getting there better too.

Guess I was in a foul mood when I first loaded it.... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
Roo
Posts: 2044
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 am

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Roo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 am

I'm not really enjoying The Wonderful 101. While I'm kind of getting used to the controls, I'm questioning so many of the others things about it - those being the sort of things that'll be persistent throughout the entire game. It's really messy stuff at times.

On the other hand, Rayman Legends is a bit good. I'm really happy with the way the Wii U version turned out, and don't see how it could be better on another console. It would still be great, of course, but the touch-screen bits add another smart dynamic to what's already a very entertaining game.
Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by RetroBob » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Ok in the interest of organisation (read: OCD), I've made a Google Doc of all of the forumite's Nintendo Network IDs - it will save people trawling through the whole thread and also save mods having to update the first post (other than one last time to add the link!).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Would one of the mods mind updating the original post encouraging people to use this?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 am

I started pikmin 3 last night. Pretty impressed so far. The graphics are nice enough, it plays great and reminds me of good times with the gamecube :) The time limits are a pain, only on day 4 and managed to get stranded when the sun went down already.

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Ok, I'm past the first boss now and pikmin is starting to open up and give me a a little freedom in approaching missions.

On to this years xmas platformers. Donkey kong, sonic and mario. Which one are you guys going for? Is this the year sonic finally gets one up on mario?

User avatar
skylarking
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by skylarking » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:20 am

Added myself to the spreadsheet, it's Apple2Forever, the same as my Xbox Live gamertag.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11091
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:44 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Ok, I'm past the first boss now and pikmin is starting to open up and give me a a little freedom in approaching missions.

On to this years xmas platformers. Donkey kong, sonic and mario. Which one are you guys going for? Is this the year sonic finally gets one up on mario?
All 3 for me, most looking forward to Donkey Kong personally as DKCR was awesome (and I loved the 3DS port released earlier this year). Mario looks fun (and I can't say no to Mario) but it does seem a tad disappointing compared to the Galaxy games in terms of scope in my opinion. Sonic looks interesting and I'm hoping for the best but until I get my hands on it I'm not exactly sure how I'll find the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8318
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:52 am

I've actually got high hopes for Sonic Lost World as after years of poor games, Sonic really bounced back with Sonic Colors on the Wii which was excellent, and Sonic Generations which was also really good.

I'll be getting all 3 myself. I've got a strong feeling that Mario is going to surprise us all by having a lot more depth and content to it than it initially seems at this point, and DKCR: Tropical Freeze is very unlikely to disappoint considering how good the first DKCR was.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 am

I've watched some videos of 3d mario and it actually looks fun, I could find myself buying a core mario game for the first time in ages :o Donkey kong looks good but I'm not as sure, I'll wait for reviews. Pikmin has got me feeling a bit of love for nintendo, I might even get the zelda remake if the price drops a little. It's still on for £45, pikmin, sonic and donkey kong are all under £35, I don't see why a gamecube remake is £10 more expensive than games made specifically for the wii u.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 am

RetroBob wrote:Ok in the interest of organisation (read: OCD), I've made a Google Doc of all of the forumite's Nintendo Network IDs - it will save people trawling through the whole thread and also save mods having to update the first post (other than one last time to add the link!).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Would one of the mods mind updating the original post encouraging people to use this?
Added to 1st post :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by RetroBob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:31 pm

skylarking wrote:Added myself to the spreadsheet, it's Apple2Forever, the same as my Xbox Live gamertag.
Great, I added you - don't forget to add people as you have to have both people do it... Oh Nintendo....
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
TheNewMonkey
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:25 pm

RetroBob wrote:
skylarking wrote:Added myself to the spreadsheet, it's Apple2Forever, the same as my Xbox Live gamertag.
Great, I added you - don't forget to add people as you have to have both people do it... Oh Nintendo....
will add you tomorrow.

also don't bother adding each other through ballache that is the friends list, just search the persons username through Miiverse & you can send them a friend request just like on 360/ps3 etc, its a lot easier that way :wink:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Ok, i had another go at sending out some friend requests, is there any one out there :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests