Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Re: Wii U Owners Thread

Post by James A » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 am

Ive got a sneaky feeling my missus has got me one for Christmas. Was in Game in Wrexham at the weekend and couldn't believe they were charging a tenner more on every game than everywhere else. Zombie U was £54.99.

Do you still get Nintendo Points with these games and the console?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:47 am

Mootown wrote:
kelp7 wrote:
Mootown wrote:At least on all the software updates you can just press the big 'play the game' button and still continue to use the Wii U whilst it downloads in the background..
Okay, that's a nice feature...
I could be wrong, but I don't THINK even the 360 or PS3 let you continue to play the game whilst the update still downloads (ie you either cancel the update to play the game, or sit and watch it download?)
PC either I think from my experiences with Steam. Wii U does seem like the only one that lets you play the game as the update downloads (though in the 360's case updates only take seconds). It is a neat feature regardless.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am

ShadowMan wrote:(though in the 360's case updates only take seconds).
Although we don't yet know how long the average Wii U update takes, to be honest :) (having only the 1st firmware one to go on)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:19 pm

kelp7 wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:(though in the 360's case updates only take seconds).
Although we don't yet know how long the average Wii U update takes, to be honest :) (having only the 1st firmware one to go on)
I was going solely on game updates. The 4 I've done on the Wii U took between a minute or two. On the other hand whenever I get an update for a 360 game they only take less than 10 seconds (and as a bonus updates are usually really small).

Firemware/System wise is a different thing. Those take a few minutes on my 360 and an hour for my Wii U (though that was mainly because it would constantly cut out on me!). Thats's just my experience from launch day patches done on the Friday morning. Things will no doubt get better from here on out - the online side has been very stable for me since Sunday, and faultless in Sonic Racing's case when playing online.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Trine 2 is rather nice. A gorgeous take on three vikings with more content than the other versions. Lovely.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm

With regards to firmware updates....the initial Wii U firmware update took me 1.5 hours, but game updates have only taken a minute or so.

In the past, I can recall buying a preowned copy of Motorstorm Pacific Rift for PS3 and when I finally got around to playing it last year, the update (just for that game) took well over an hour to download, so the Wii U download times don't seem too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Pretty sure Zombi U was only £39.98 (or thereabouts) when I preordered it from Shopto.net...don't have my original email to check though and I haven't got an individual price for it on my reciept as it came bundled in a box with other stuff, plus I had a load of cash knocked off because of loyalty points as well....seems strange that it's selling for so much now (noticed that it's up to £47.86 on shopto as well :? ) compared to other titles, especially with it being a pack in game with one of the bundles here anyway. It's a decent game by the way. Won't be for everyone, but it's not a typical FPS game and I've found with it that doing things quickly and running away without confrontations is a lot more effective than trying the zombie hordes at all. I do really like the motion sensor on the GamePad screen (you tap a button and red blips appear where there's movement)...more than once it's caught me out with a zombie that was just standing still in a dark corner, or I've been panicing when it's just been a couple of rats running past. :) Really can't wait to see how Aliens: Colonial Marines works out on the Wii U with a feature like this.

Trine 2 Director's Cut does indeed look lovely :D I've downloaded it to take advantage of the promotional discount price, but I've still got the original Trine to play through first, only finally bothered downloading that (on PS3) last week :lol:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 am

Yeah the firmware updates are pretty rubbish in general. In other news I'll be viewing Ninja Gaiden 3 next week, which is apparently much better than the PS3 version. We'll see...

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 am

Theres another update for everyone to look forward to before you can access the eshop, took me about 20 min this morning, not sure what it actually updates tho...

iv also just got tank tank tank, i earned about 20 quid store credit by pre ordering from shop to so its only really cost me a fiver, cant complain at that price, nice little arcadey edf style game, :-)
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:52 am

Mootown wrote:
kelp7 wrote:
Mootown wrote:At least on all the software updates you can just press the big 'play the game' button and still continue to use the Wii U whilst it downloads in the background..
Okay, that's a nice feature...
I could be wrong, but I don't THINK even the 360 or PS3 let you continue to play the game whilst the update still downloads (ie you either cancel the update to play the game, or sit and watch it download?)
Yeah, if you cancel the Xbox 360 game updates it just tells you off about Leaderboard stuff and whatnot. Plus it rather churlishly refuses to download the updates in the background. (But any games downloading from Xbox Live will still background download)

On the plus side the game updates are usually 4mb or so, so it's not even noticeable usually. I think 16mb's the biggest I've ever had to download.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Just had a quick go on Tank! Tank! Tank!, thought I'd see what the range on the pad was like, with the Wii U up in the attic I managed to play a round whilst sat in my bedroom on the next floor down, it seemes a little choppy at the start and end of a round but played alright otherwise.
Splink!

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Purchased New Super Mario Bros U today. I love it! Feels alot fresher than I was expecting, though that may be due to the fact that I've avoided the Wii NSMB games.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:30 pm

felgekarp wrote:Just had a quick go on Tank! Tank! Tank!, thought I'd see what the range on the pad was like, with the Wii U up in the attic I managed to play a round whilst sat in my bedroom on the next floor down, it seemes a little choppy at the start and end of a round but played alright otherwise.
Now that's interesting. I've been playing on the WiiU tonight solely on the pad, but haven't tested the range. I might give COD a go tonight.

I've been mostly playing COD it has to be said; the graphics are on a par with the 360, but there's some slowdown at times. Looks stunning on the pad though. And it makes 'split screen' much more fun as well. Also impressed by Assassins Creed and Sonic Racing, both i'd say were slightly better than the 360 versions; not a bad start for WiiU games. Really need to play some more ZombiU, Nintendoland and Mario bros.

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Quick! It's NSMBU for under £34 used on Amazon's marketplace! VGC!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Super-Mario ... ant&sr=1-3

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:24 am

Rayman Legends eShop demo will be up this week :D I've been looking forward to giving this game a go as I loved Origins so am hoping that Legends another excellent platformer.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:13 am

I played the demo in HMV yesterday. The first impressions I was given was that it was another excellent, gorgeous-looking platformer, and that I'll almost certainly buy it on launch. I don't think it'll be a killer app or anything like that, but it could be another excellent game for us to look forward to.