Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: Wii U Owners Thread - Including User IDs

Post by killbot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 am

Played the open beta of Lost Reavers last night. Erm... it's fun enough but the graphics are rough and it runs pretty slowly. And is it just me or is an online only co-op third-person zombie shooter with freemium elements so not Nintendo? What made Namco think this was the right game for the right console? Although as the only game of its kind on the machine it might find its niche, I suppose.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:11 pm

I thought it was alright but it does need speeding up in the searching and loading departments. Still since its only a Bata, maybe they can fix these issues for the full release.

Funny enough, as this is probably the first Bata on a Nintendo console, its mine too. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 pm

So Nintendo commissioned an animated Starfox short for the release of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGg

Pretty neat.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 am

My copy of Star Fox has arrived. Reviews seem divided on the game, only thing that worries me is bad gyro controls and forced second screen segments, but I've waited this long for a new SF game so screw it. The first run edition is also really nice - comes with the game, steel book and a separate boxed copy of Star Fox Guard all wrapped in a nice outer box. Goes really nice with my Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 and Project Zero 5 editions.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Mine arrived today too and already gotten through my first run of the story (Be hunting some hidden pathways tomorrow). As many have pointed out, the controls do take some getting used to but I seemed fine by mission 3. Despite this, I'm really enjoying the game, mostly as it feels like a truer sequel to SF64 then Adventures, Assault, and Command ever did (Even if this is another alternative retelling of the story, it could have so easily be referred to as Starfox 64 2) which if you loved the 64 game there's plenty of nostalgia from that game all over the place from enemies, characters, tunes, etc. Made me feel young again in my days of 64 gaming.

So yeah, happy to be playing a SF game with the feel of the first 2 even with the small learning curve. Will try out Guard tomorrow.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 pm

got my copy of starfox today, was genuinely excited as I love the old games.... played for about an hour and i'm confused by the design decisions taken. i'm not impressed by the controls or having to constantly look down at the screen/flick the screen mode or aim with the gyro in the pad - this got boring quickly and felt like a cheap trick/shoehorned in to add 'depth'.... the chicken walker parts I've played so far have awful camera work and even worse controls, ditto the hover drone thing, the whole thing is just a bit weird, its like they made the new vehicles slow and awkward to control on purpose - then throw a load of fast moving targets at you - this makes the game challenging by essentially knackering the players interaction with the game rather than being cleverly designed. I don't find flicking my attention between multiple screens and waving my arms around more immersive, I find it breaks immersion.

graphics are a mixed bag, audio is good.

i'll have to give it another go, although I won't be rushing to do so because it annoyed me so much. got the feeling Nintendo dropped the ball on this one.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:36 pm

HEAVYface wrote:got my copy of starfox today, was genuinely excited as I love the old games.... played for about an hour and i'm confused by the design decisions taken. i'm not impressed by the controls or having to constantly look down at the screen/flick the screen mode or aim with the gyro in the pad - this got boring quickly and felt like a cheap trick/shoehorned in to add 'depth'.... the chicken walker parts I've played so far have awful camera work and even worse controls, ditto the hover drone thing, the whole thing is just a bit weird, its like they made the new vehicles slow and awkward to control on purpose - then throw a load of fast moving targets at you - this makes the game challenging by essentially knackering the players interaction with the game rather than being cleverly designed. I don't find flicking my attention between multiple screens and waving my arms around more immersive, I find it breaks immersion.

graphics are a mixed bag, audio is good.

i'll have to give it another go, although I won't be rushing to do so because it annoyed me so much. got the feeling Nintendo dropped the ball on this one.
I'm having similar issues with the game. I'm enjoying some levels, and I quite like the chicken walker mostly but at times the controls are fairly fidly and some of the levels are just bad (Zoness). Bosses aren't all that great either, some last for far too long and just aren't fun to fight. I'm probably enjoying it more than the last few games in the series (not saying much) but I much prefer Star Fox 64 over this any day of the week. I do still have plenty of challenges and hidden routes to complete so I'll spend a fair few hours seeing what this game has to offer before forming my final opinion on the game, but so far its somewhat between an above average and "good" game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:46 am

ShadowMan wrote: I'm having similar issues with the game. I'm enjoying some levels, and I quite like the chicken walker mostly but at times the controls are fairly fidly and some of the levels are just bad (Zoness). Bosses aren't all that great either, some last for far too long and just aren't fun to fight. I'm probably enjoying it more than the last few games in the series (not saying much) but I much prefer Star Fox 64 over this any day of the week. I do still have plenty of challenges and hidden routes to complete so I'll spend a fair few hours seeing what this game has to offer before forming my final opinion on the game, but so far its somewhat between an above average and "good" game.
Phew, I was a couple of clicks away from pre-ordering this, but I think now the reviews are trickling in, it seems full price is probably a bit of a con for this. Love Starfox games, but I may give this a miss or wait till its dirt cheap.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:18 am

I've not had a go yet, and it'll be another week before I get back home and get a chance to, but I'd have to say that it sounds like it's just par for the course. There were only ever two really good Star Fox games and they were both released in the 90s. Regaining that level of glory was always going to be a tough ask, especially with a third party studio doing the development even if they're as accomplished as Platinum.

That said, it doesn't sound terrible by any means and I'll be getting a copy. In the context of a very lean year for the Wii U so far, it could still prove something of a highlight even.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:35 am

I'll be playing it this weekend.

I'm expecting the game pad aiming to work a bit like the controls on the Star Wars arcade game. If it's anything like that, I'll be well happy. I think I can live with switching perspective from one screen to the other.

I ordered the first print edition mainly because it came with Star Fox Guard which I think looks really fun and innovative.
I think it was about £38 for both games and a T-shirt which didn't seem too bad to me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am

Controls do start off good, but it gets worse the harder the game gets as the controls just can't keep up (in my opinion). The last boss while not exactly insanely difficult, was harder than it needed to be because of the crappy controls for that section.

But the main issue I have with the game is it forcing gimmicky sections on you that force you to use the game pad in some way. All I wanted was a straight up on rails SF game and this isn't that. There are some great levels in here, and there are some really bad ones. None of the bosses really stick out as good either, mainly due to forcing the game pad on you.

The game is ok, its not bad that's for sure but its not great either. I'll be going back through each of the levels now the main game is complete trying to find all the alternate routes and levels, then I'll make a start on the challenges in each level. Technically while you can clear the game relatively quickly there is still plenty of content here to complete often having you take alternate paths through levels to see different areas or even bosses. So I can't complain about that side of things, plenty to see and do even after the game is over.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:36 pm

the first level starts good as its essentially starfox 64 with better graphics. it's the only level out of the 4 I played that didn't annoy me....which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game. I will give it another go, but I agree with Shadowman - would be better as an on rails game.

even the poorest level in starfox 64 (the underwater one imo) had more going for it than the last couple I played on the wii u.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 pm

The Nintendo Humble Bundle's back, and this time we Euro folk can take part in it too! :D

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... e_discount
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:58 am

ALK wrote:The Nintendo Humble Bundle's back, and this time we Euro folk can take part in it too! :D

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... e_discount
saw this myself:

https://www.humblebundle.com/friends-of ... o-3ds-wiiu

Street Fighter IV 3D, Rhythm Thief, Retro City Rampage for the 3DS, Darksiders 2, Affordable Space Adventures and Freedom Planet for the Wii U, and Shantae and the Pirates Curse and Citizens of Earth for both, with more games possibly to come, for less than nine quid? That's pretty awesome.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 am

I absolutely love Star Fox Zero, the controls become amazing once you start doing second run throughs and allows you to do things that simply wouldn't be possible with a traditional set-up. I understand why some people don't like it, but it becomes more intuitive and natural the more you play it. We're giving it an 8.