Nintendo Wii Mini

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

steve82

Nintendo Wii Mini

Post by steve82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 am

steve82

Re: Nintendo Wii Mini

Post by steve82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am

as it says in the comments section of the article

Wouldn't this steal attention from the Wii U?

strange decision...
Last edited by steve82 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 am

oh yeah this wont fragment the demogrpah
or confuse the "clueless" casual gamers at all
no not at all
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

steve82

Post by steve82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 am

I feel sorry for the People who have put 'the new Wii' on their Christmas lists.

That'll be an interesting Christmas morning...

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 am

nintendo are useless

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am

It's currently exclusive to Canada. So not really a big deal.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am

So Nintendo believe that Canadians don't go inline or care about backward compatibility?

Very strange indeed.....

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am

pantal00ns wrote:So Nintendo believe that Canadians don't go inline or care about backward compatibility?

Very strange indeed.....
Well, next to nobody uses the Cube compatibility these days, so it's probably not just Canadians; there's already one version of the console without it. Losing the wireless might be a bit more problematic, but there are still relatively few games where it's a necessity.

On the whole, it seems obvious to me that it's just a cheap version of the console to plug the bottom end of the market while the Wii U is comparatively expensive, a bit like Sony did with the first two generations of PlayStation when their successors came along. I'm surprised people are making such a fuss about it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't get the criticism. Surely almost every new hardware launch is accompanied by the company's previous console being repackaged as a budget option? Master System II, NES Toploader, 2600 jr., SNES jr., PSone... need I go on?

I really don't see how this is any different from those. Besides, it looks pretty cool design-wise. The loss of Gamecube compatibility and internet connectivity is annoying, but this is presumably now being positioned as a kid's console (just to beat DCRIP to the punch - 'I thought the Wii was always a kid's console!') and I can't imagine why small children would want to play ancient GC games. Nor that their parents would be happy about them sneakily playing COD online!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Size-wise it's impressive but what's with the horrible red/black colour scheme? I thought the Wii was always about being white for the most part.

Also strange that it's a Canadian exclusive of all things. Almost reminds me of the licensed Sega Genesis 3 and similar consoles - budget revamps manufactured by other companies.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Lil Chillbil

Post by Lil Chillbil » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 pm

looks great for a parental control console that will get your kid bullied on the bus for not owning an xbox

great job nintendo :lol:
pm me I'm always up for a multiplayer session for the following games
Gears of war 1 2 3
Call of duty 2 3 4
All of the halos
Call of duty modern warefare 2
Shadowrun

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Does the OP have any thoughts on this topic, or has he now fully transmogrified into a spambot?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

killbot wrote:... this is presumably now being positioned as a kid's console (just to beat DCRIP to the punch - 'I thought the Wii was always a kid's console!') and I can't imagine why small children would want to play ancient GC games.
Funny! I've never, to be fair, trash talked the Wii on this forum. Sure, like any other modern-day Ninty hardware it was primarily for kids but it still had some worth to adults too. I've never perceived Wii as "a kids' console" entirely. I just saw it as being more of a fun novelty item to own alongside one of the two proper consoles and/or a gaming PC.

As to your other points (not quoted), I entirely agree with you. This (more) cut-down budget Wii is there for the reasons you've stated and makes perfect sense. It having lost online connectivity is perhaps a cause for concern though, i.e. I wonder whether it's a signal that Ninty will soon be shutting down the servers for Wii games meaning we won't be able to play the likes of Mario Kart Wii online for much longer...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Does the OP have any thoughts on this topic, or has he now fully transmogrified into a spambot?
Er, it is steve82 so what did you expect!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

425 posts.... He's doing the long con :wink:

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Now collects 33% less dust!
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image