Utterly Pointless games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ivortheinjun

Re: Utterly Pointless games

Post by ivortheinjun » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Magic Mushrooms on the Electron.

But let me clarify - this is actually a superb game.

It becomes pointless when I'm let loose with the level editor, and instead of creating intricate levels of conveyor belts, walls, dissolving platforms and whatever, I'd make levels that features nothing but trampolines.

Then I'd just bounce around, for hour upon hour, before switching it off and doing something else.

I used to so this all the time. Absolutely pointless.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm

I always say this but 'quest for quintana roo' used to play this see if it did get better like the pictures shown on the box.. Randomly hit a wall until it opens, either a pink mummy comes out or bullets/treasure appear.. Did see somebody on You Tube finish this quite how I don't know

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:03 pm

I have spent countless hours on the GTA games just driving around. From the original when I was 16, right up to The Ballad Of Gay Tony. On GTA4 I recall spending an entire afternoon just tootling around exploring the city, hopping in and out of cars, the occasional killing spree and doing jumps over and over again. I didnt once look at any missions.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 pm

ulala wrote:.....These days, i use a cheat code that gives me infinite fuel and payload, but its still so much fun. It doesnt matter how you play it, as a real-time combat sim or as an arcade style shooter!...
Cheat code you say? Any chance you could share that little nugget? I may be persuaded to fire it up again if I had a cheat. :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

STranger81 wrote:I have spent countless hours on the GTA games just driving around. From the original when I was 16, right up to The Ballad Of Gay Tony. On GTA4 I recall spending an entire afternoon just tootling around exploring the city, hopping in and out of cars, the occasional killing spree and doing jumps over and over again. I didnt once look at any missions.
I did this all the time in vice city, in hindsight it was the music which was the point. The latter titles became pointless for me.

Eat your nans pants

HaZ

Post by HaZ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Custer's Revenge has to be up there

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

STranger81 wrote:I have spent countless hours on the GTA games just driving around. From the original when I was 16, right up to The Ballad Of Gay Tony. On GTA4 I recall spending an entire afternoon just tootling around exploring the city, hopping in and out of cars, the occasional killing spree and doing jumps over and over again. I didnt once look at any missions.
thats the only reason i even play an gta
missions ? huh what ?

though i havent played any gta beyond vice city
got bored with them
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 am

For me it's Zelda Ocarina of Time.. apparently it has a whole quest to be completed.. I just wandered around the village, throwing rocks while making whooping noises..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:36 am

There were loads of Speccy games that were so difficult I used to just make up my own challenges or mess around. Jet Set Willy was so hard it was usually just a challenge to try and reach one of the outlying rooms. One of my favourites was in Fairlight, to fight all the orcs I could find and carry their fallen helmets to one space in the courtyard, initially to shove them into the dust devils to annihilate them, but failing that, so they all resurrected in the same room and slowed the game down as it animated every one at the same time, popping up from under their helmets sometimes stacked two high. I should have carried in other objects to stand on to see if I could stack the orcs any higher...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:45 am

As well as being published by Scuba Dive, Combat Lynx and Turbo Esprit were all written by the same developer, Mike Richardson. It's just a shame that he didn't continue this in his later games, which are quite linear, although I suppose Thanatos was rather nice too.

Anyway, another game that springs to mind is Car & Driver on the PC. As a racing game it wasn't really that great, but it had a shopping mall car park that you could drive your supercars around pulling stunts in. One of my favourites was to try and bounce a car off the scenery on to the roof of the shopping mall; there's a slim possibility that the developers intended this to be possible, but I've got my doubts.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 am

Red Dead Redemption. I don't think the game was pointless, but I played it in a pointless way. I spent ages playing it as a Deathchase clone. Saddle up and head out to Tall Trees. Then just sprint around on the horse taking potshots at rabbits and other animals scurrying past.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

All the Skate games I complete only so I can have everything unlocked to muck about in the world. Turn off the hud, turn off the music, turn off annoying pedestrians and traffic and just chill around skating the city. Love it.