Utterly Pointless games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

r0jaws

Utterly Pointless games

Post by r0jaws » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:47 am

Just mulling over my first gaming experiences on my Speccy and remembering what I had, when I thought about Combat Lynx.
This was one of my favourite games of the 80's, I'd play it for hours. However, what I meant by play was. Hovering above my main base, building up an impenetrable minefield ring, landing occasionally to refuel and stock up on mines and rockets, rinse and repeat.
Literally hours doing this, watching my other bases get wiped out one by one until finally the hordes would descend upon me where upon I would spend the next few hours fighting them off until I got called for tea or got bored (which never happened).
I never got beyond the first mission, I'm not even sure if there were any missions. For me this was Combat Lynx. Very occasionally I would swoop off to find another base just to see if they infact existed but invariably I would get lost and run out of fuel.
It strikes me that at the very least this was one of the first examples of a free roaming game where you could play it just as you liked, not as the game creators actually intended you to. Did anyone actually ever complete this game? Can it even be completed?
Anyone else just fanny about on a favourite game without ever getting anywhere?

snowkatt

Re: Utterly Pointless games

Post by snowkatt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 am

spiderman 2 the movie
i could never be arsed to follow the story game and just swing around manhattan
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ulala

Post by ulala » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:39 am

I played combat lynx on the speccy, in fact its one of the games i have spend the most time with - ever!

I still play it regularly, at least once a month. As a youngster, i broke a few bones in my right hand (im right handed) so i learned to play the game completely with my left hand only. And there is about 20 keys!

At the time i used to place lots and lots of mines around base zero, by which time another base will be under attack. I will then fly to that base, destroy the enemies, mine mine mine around it and then fly any casualties back to base zero. Repeat this until a base gets destroyed and they all start towards base zero and they try and hold them off for as long as possible.

The game doesnt get any love from most retro gamers, in fact you are the first person i have found who even talks about the game! For its time, the simulation was unbelievably good. The graphics were way ahead of their time, and the weapons/ payload system were brilliant. Machine gun, cannon, rockets, wire guided missiles, heatseaking missiles and mines.

These days, i use a cheat code that gives me infinite fuel and payload, but its still so much fun. It doesnt matter how you play it, as a real-time combat sim or as an arcade style shooter!

Why can't we have a remake of this - multiplayer instead of that dizzy rubbish thats been done to death :/

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:34 am

It's one of my favourite games but I would often play Back To Skool just to mess around, write on blackboards, beat people up and terrorise the girls with mice. I often forgot that this game even had an objective because I had so much fun being a little git.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 am

Theme Park. Yes there were dozens of countrys you were supposed to complete, but I had far more fun on the default park entering cheats for millions of pounds, then creating my own giant parks

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:42 am

The Gears of War series for me.
All of them are 3rd person versions of Operation Wolf, totally linear and nothing more than a series of set battles which need to be resolved before you can move on to the next linear path.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 am

tachi wrote:The Gears of War series for me.
All of them are 3rd person versions of Operation Wolf
AMAZING :D

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 am

I'd nominate the Animal Crossing series as one, but its pointlessness is its point, pretty much. There's the loans the keep you working toward something, but the actual gameplay is just living in a village with a couple of lecherous, anthropomorphic creatures. Well, its lecherousness may be open to interpretation, but I got the vibes, man.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 am

r0jaws wrote: I never got beyond the first mission, I'm not even sure if there were any missions. For me this was Combat Lynx. Very occasionally I would swoop off to find another base just to see if they infact existed but invariably I would get lost and run out of fuel.
It strikes me that at the very least this was one of the first examples of a free roaming game where you could play it just as you liked, not as the game creators actually intended you to. Did anyone actually ever complete this game? Can it even be completed?
Anyone else just fanny about on a favourite game without ever getting anywhere?
Must be something about Durell games, I never bothered to try and play Turbo Esprit properly, just used to spend ages bombing round the streets as fast as possible, and I used to play Combat Lynx in much the same way, it was too hard as I remember to survive that long if I tried to play it normally.

I employed the same tactic as you with carrier Command too, just capture a few islands, stockpile a massive amount of missiles, and wait for the enemy carrier to turn up, then blow it to pieces, and then go out and conquer the occupied islands.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:33 am

I used to just swim around with my little diver in Scuba Dive. (speccy). I know i was supposed to collect pearls or something but i preferred to pootle about looking at the flora and fauna. Lost hours doing that.

Wasn't that a Durell game too?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Any Gran Theft Auto game but San Andreas especially.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Probably any of the Dead or Alive Xtreme games or Paradise on the PSP - there's no real ultimate end goal or anything to do, just an endless perv-a-thon. I played the hell out of the PSP game and there was really no end to it. One of those games that has zero substance but (if you're a saddo like me) can be utterly addictive :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Aren't all games kinda pointless?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm

nokgod wrote:I used to just swim around with my little diver in Scuba Dive. (speccy). I know i was supposed to collect pearls or something but i preferred to pootle about looking at the flora and fauna. Lost hours doing that.

Wasn't that a Durell game too?
It was indeed, nice relaxing little game that one, if played that way.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm

One I just rememberd; San Francisco Rush on N64. The handling was utterly broken so I'd just sod the rae off and go rouge, trying to break the game.