Jet Set Radio - overrated?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nautical Rudie

Re: Jet Set Radio - overrated?

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I wouldn't say its overrated. I first played it about 4 years ago when I bought a Dreamcast of my very own, and I knew it was one of those must play titles. It BLEW me away, sat and completed it in one sitting, which I very rarely do due to my tiny tiny attention span. So no, its one of the few games I've played which wasn't dulled by the hype.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:40 am

I tried to play it originally on the Dreamcast and more recently on XBLA but couldn't really get into it though it looked nice. Last night I got it for Vita and I think it's probably more suited to handhelds and probably is, just a tad, over rated.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:39 am

Mootown wrote:Completed both back in the day - much prefer JSR Future - it just felt more epic and refined to me. It's the reason I bought an Xbox in the first place..
Agreed. The original does look amaze on Vita though.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:44 am

Fantastic game but as has already been echoed, the controlling was a bit poor in places. Led to many a frustration for me!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:44 am

I should probably say that my love for this game was greatly heightened by the fact that I was aggressive inliner back in my youth when JSR was released, so that coupled with me being a Dreamcast lover, couldn't wait for this game.

I could even relate to the type of grinds etc, as I done them myself, so my knowledge of the skating side of the game was right up there.
In fact, much of my enjoyment from the game came from the free skating and grinding, as oppose to the graffiti aspect of the game.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mootown wrote:Completed both back in the day - much prefer JSR Future - it just felt more epic and refined to me. It's the reason I bought an Xbox in the first place..
Agreed. The original does look amaze on Vita though.

NO!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I gave the trial another shot today as it's now on Vita. F*ck me the game looks beautiful on the screen. The colours practically leap out at smack you in the face!

Shame the game is absolute crap though. Feels like you're skating in sand, you get chased and shot, you have a timer, you can't trick while grinding to increase your speed, you get hurt if you touch a wall...it's absolute dross. Gimmie JSRF any day.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 am

Owned it for the DC when it came out and thought it was a great game, even though I haven't played it for ages, I cant recall the controls being annoying to the degree some are discussing here, so no I don't think it's overrated at all, esp in comparison to some other overrated games.

I too think its amaze balls 8)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 am

Rayne wrote:I gave the trial another shot today as it's now on Vita. F*ck me the game looks beautiful on the screen. The colours practically leap out at smack you in the face!

Shame the game is absolute crap though. Feels like you're skating in sand, you get chased and shot, you have a timer, you can't trick while grinding to increase your speed, you get hurt if you touch a wall...it's absolute dross. Gimmie JSRF any day.
Tricks work different in this game, instead of the X/Y tricks while grinding you can trick by leaping off grind rails at speed. This gives you a noticeable speed increase like in future. But yeah, tricking in this isn't as satisfying or good as it was in future.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Rayne wrote:I gave the trial another shot today as it's now on Vita. F*ck me the game looks beautiful on the screen. The colours practically leap out at smack you in the face!

To be honest these are all things i found when i played it back in the day. I loved the colours and art style but gameplay wise it was very lacking and another complaint of mine was the jumping was to floaty. i.m.o. I think although the art isn't as good overall Future is the better title.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:56 pm

its a decent game, looks ace but the controls suck balls

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I think you have to look at this game from the view point of when it was released. Cell shaded graphics were still in their infancy and this game was a pioneer of the style - credit were credit is due the visuals still hold up today. The game was also very unique with its tagging mechanic mixed in with Crazy Taxi esc racing. I remember spending ages making my own tag and seeing it on the little VMU was very cool. I also enjoyed unlocking new characters through the story and going back to old levels to improve my score.

The controls may seem odd by today's standards and I understand the complaints but I don't think its a massive barrier to enjoyment in this game - heck if you can enjoy playing it with a Dreamcast pad you can enjoy playing it on anything!

dste

Post by dste » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I own the Dreamcast version and I've tried a couple of times to sit down and properly get into it but for some reason after a few levels I just get bored and turn it off.

I don't why as I don't particularly find anything wrong with it but I just cannot seem to stick with it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

The Vita version is severely broken.

It's twice crashed on me for no apparent reason (just normal gameplay) and I suddenly get the Vita messaging me that "There is an issue with your game, contact Sony?" or something along those lines.

Extremely pissed because I completed a level before it did this!

Good game, but the Vita version should not be having these problems when this version has been delayed!

Put me into the JSRF camp also (despite having not exactly perfect controls either).
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:04 am

Starlight wrote:The Vita version is severely broken.

It's twice crashed on me for no apparent reason (just normal gameplay) and I suddenly get the Vita messaging me that "There is an issue with your game, contact Sony?" or something along those lines.

Extremely pissed because I completed a level before it did this!

Good game, but the Vita version should not be having these problems when this version has been delayed!

Put me into the JSRF camp also (despite having not exactly perfect controls either).
I had the same problem once with the vita version as well. Thankfully it was a short level so I just quickly redid the level but if it starts doing it on my jet ranking run then I will start getting annoyed! It's still not as bad as the ps3 version though, that corrupted and deleted my entire save game a while back :evil:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*