The best Sega games you've not played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

The best Sega games you've not played

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:34 am

We're doing a similar list to the Nintendo one to keep everything nice and balanced :)
Let us know your favourite obscure Sega games you like to play.

Mootown

Re: The best Sega games you've not played

Post by Mootown » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 am

Gun Valkyrie on the original Xbox - horribly misunderstood. If you're good, you can stay in the air for the entire level by combo's. If you don't get it, you end up walking the entire stage and it changes the dynamic of the entire game.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:56 am

Teddy boy,
Alien syndrome (Wii)

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:00 am

Due to the console being on it's knees by 1998, I, like many, never got the chance to play Burning Rangers. It's just a bit too expensive for me to take a punt on today.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 am

I'd also like to put into the mix Last Bronx, a totally swept under the carpet 3D fighting game (always in the shadow of Fighting Vipers and VF) as well as Astal, a beautiful 2D platformer on the Sega Saturn that was a victim of the 3D is better than 2D era and got a bit ignored.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:32 am

I have never played panzer dragoon saga or burning rangers. Although that is just down to expense, as soon as I get the moolah together I will probably invest.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 am

Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 (DC, NTSC-J-only, played using the maracas released with the original Samba de Amigo)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn, not many copies released in the West (particularly so Europe) hence its high market value)
Cosmic Smash (NAOMI GD-ROM-based arcade coin-op only released on DC in Japan)
Segagaga (DC, NTSC-J-only, a cult game brimming with SEGA history that takes potshots at Sony (or DOGMA as the game refers to them as))
Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.I (the Japanese book that came with a DC GD-ROM featuring cool versions of OutRun, Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner II and Power Drift)
Virtua Fighter (32X, because hardly anyone bothered with the ill-fated peripheral and it's a great version of the game)

EDIT:
With a thread title of "The best Sega games you've NOT played" and the OP then stating "Let us know your favourite obscure Sega games you LIKE TO PLAY" it wasn't clear what was being asked so I listed some of the more obsure/rarer SEGA games I've played and happen to own.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am

Running Battle (SMS), a scrolling beat-em-up that also lets you pick up handguns and shotguns if you want.
Stellar Assault (32X), a 3D space combat thingy.
Demon Child ZENKI (Game Gear), a bit like the Asterix games - you can only do different parts of each level depending on which character you're playing as.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 am

heavyweight champ was a huge favourite back in the day but Mame doesn't do it justice, like a lot of sega games it had a very unique cab. if i had the money and space i'd love one for the house. the missus however, wouldn't.

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 am

shenmue II

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 am

Being a devoted Sega fan all my life, I am completely ashamed to say that with the exception of a very brief experience with Phantasy Star Online, I have never played a Phantasy Star game. Anyone who speaks of them, always does with such passion and love, its endearing yet sad at the same time, as I never experienced the franchise at its peak.
Last edited by samhain81 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 am

Another vote for Teddy Boy, fine SMS game.

I would also say New Japan Pro Wrestling Vs. Virtua on the Saturn, a wrestling game with characters from Virtua Fighter against the real life stars of the NJPW. It was only released in Japan but is rather good.

Pengo on the Mega Drive, a cool update of the classic arcade game that actually includes Sonic as a secret character. Again it was very sadly only released in Japan.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 am

Shenmue. Had a very quick go back in the day, seemed a bit wolly and vague, put it back and forgot about it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:03 am

Shenmue 3.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 am

Flicky, on the first 6-in-1 TV Plug'N'Play thing from Radica. Fabulous frantic little platform game with a fairly novel scrolling single-screen wrap-around level. Even more fun than Mappy, believe it or not.