Retro Gamer let's name the top 200 16-bit games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: Retro Gamer let's name the top 200 16-bit games

Post by killbot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:46 pm

The Laird wrote:The Lynx version is amazingly good too, as with Desert Strike that was mentioned earlier.
It's good as far as console versions go, but for me none of them ever really worked because I just found myself missing mouse control too much. The same with Cannon Fodder, really.

That said, the only physical copy of Lemmings I have now is for my SNES. My Amiga sadly went to heaven many years ago now.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Desert Strike with a mouse ? Hmmm. Eitherway Desert Fighter (or Air Strike Patrol) is much better IMO.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

eeztheman wrote:How about the classic early SNES shooter, UN Squadron ? (or Area 88 in Japan)

Sorry not sure how to put a screenshot on here(I am sure some helpful member can assist!)
Here you go.

A really great game this too.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Here's the best of the 16-bit Castlevania games:

The New Generation/Bloodlines/Vampire Killer!
See that red stuff? It's called blood.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Since we seem to be including 16-bit computers, I'll add Dune 2 for the Amiga to the list:

Now, I'm not a huge fan of RTS games and I've never read Dune, but this game takes the rich story and uses it in the most perfect way possible. Westwood basically invented the modern RTS with Dune II and it is still fun to this day.
Last edited by theantmeister on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:43 pm

CIH wrote:Desert Strike with a mouse ? Hmmm
I was talking about Lemmings!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 am

Battle Isle - amiga

A fantastic two player game......

Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 am

killbot wrote:
CIH wrote:Desert Strike with a mouse ? Hmmm
I was talking about Lemmings!
The only version I've played with a mouse is on the Archimedes but that's 32-bit so forget what I just said!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 am

Lotus Turbo II did look smoother on the Amiga than the ST, but one of the great features was you could link the different machines together for 4-player sessions.
Damocles was great but chalk it up for the ST as well as the Amiga. I don't know if there was any difference, but the ST tended to have a slight edge in speed of 3D, even if didn't have quite as extensive a colour palette.

Has anyone mentioned Magic Boy yet? That was a great ST platformer akin to Rainbow Islands. Graphics and sound were better than any other 2D stuff on that machine.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 am

So the Neo Geo Pocket Color counts? Good!

Then here is BioMotor Unitron - like Pokemon only with robots, and it's the only RPG I've ever enjoyed enough to see through to the end.

C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 pm

The Settlers, for the Amiga, please.

I lost hours to that game, even happily playing on worlds with no enemies just so I could sit and watch the little guys build and go about their business.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Here's the best of the 16-bit Castlevania games:

Now that's controversial. Better than Super Castlevania IV?

I guess we're not counting Rondo of Blood as the PCE is technically an 8-bit machine (though in terms of technical grunt it always seemed to me more a contender to the SNES/MD than the NES/MS).

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 am

16 bit graphics really look the business don't they?

Anyway, my vote is for Sensible World of Soccer. A hard choice, but at the same time an easy one.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 am

greenberet79 wrote:16 bit graphics really look the business don't they?
The gorgeously detailed hand-drawn graphics of games like Monkey Island 2, Gunstar Heroes or Yoshi's Island will always - to my mind - look infinitely better than anything on the 32-bit machines.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:54 am

killbot wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Here's the best of the 16-bit Castlevania games:

Now that's controversial. Better than Super Castlevania IV?

I guess we're not counting Rondo of Blood as the PCE is technically an 8-bit machine (though in terms of technical grunt it always seemed to me more a contender to the SNES/MD than the NES/MS).
Yeah, I was going to go for Rondo of Blood but wasn't sure where everyone stood on the PC-Engine's standing as "16-bit".
But yep, definitely better than Super Castlevania IV. I'm not into the 8-way whipping of that one, makes it all too easy. I like the horse heads that run along the ground in that one, but not a lot else.