Anyone make their own games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Speedball81

Anyone make their own games?

Post by Speedball81 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi!

Many years ago with one of the first dozen or so Retro Gamers there came a disk including 'The Games Factory' by Clickteam. With this software I began to make a Manic Miner style platform game but with Master System type graphics.

I am considering resurrecting the game but have found Games Factory exe. game files don't seem to run on Vista.

Anyway I was thinking it might be a better idea to start again with more up to date software that can export iOS compatible files etc.

I need a similar interface to The Games Factory as I can't do proper programming. I also want to keep to a retro 8 bit style with pixel art etc.

Any advice and suggestions as to how I should continue this project would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Antiriad2097

Re: Anyone make their own games?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 am

Gamemaker is the first one that springs to mind:
http://www.yoyogames.com/game_showcases
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 am

I've fiddled with Multimedia Fusion, Construct and Game Salad but the only project that went any where was on RPG Maker 2003. Angel's Grail was unfinished but got to an early demo stage. Don't have it anymore though. Will have to start it again :)

All I have left is this title screen:

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 am

You really cant go wrong with Game Maker. It does allow for the creation of very high-quality games, without any actual coding.

It will still be alot of work though, there's nothing that changes that fact :wink:

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 am

Over on Mameworld this was mentioned very recently and could be one to look in to.
http://www.arcadegamestudio.com/

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 am

I'd feel no sense of achievement using a WYSIWYG creator.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 am

I know exactly what you mean.. so about 4 years ago I started to write my own game in c# using the XNA 2d tutorial
from this site: http://www.riemers.net/

I didnt follow the tutorial exactly but learned a lot of techniques as I wanted to write a horizontal shoot em up. By far the hardest part was the collision detection as I am rubbish at maths and didnt have a clue about matricies etc.. I got pretty far but havent touched my code in nearly a year.

I did begin by writing the game directly but as the project got bigger I ended up writing more and more utilities and the code does now resemble a basic construction kit. I also had more fun and spent a lot of time on the map editor but its far from (and probably will never be) finished.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:35 am

speedlolita wrote:I'd feel no sense of achievement using a WYSIWYG creator.

Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks.

Oh, making a SIMPLE game with those is easy. But making a full, proper game is not. You still have to understand things like design and logic and stuff.

I've been (very slowly) working on a danmaku shmup of my own, and even getting rather simple AI done for a boss fight is not at all easy. Not to mention doing the actual (complicated as all hell) attack patterns for the thing. It takes HOURS just to get a boss like that to a point of being properly testable, and even then it's probably a buggy mass of bugs, and nowhere near finished. There's still tons of math and algorithms and all that fun stuff involved, but I dont have to TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE for hours on end; it's more important for me also because this means my arm doesnt get flared up from too much keyboard.

The main difference is, I dont have to spend MANY MANY MORE HOURS coding things like a display engine and whatnot; it handles that for me, which is good, because that kind of thing is, to me, very very tedious. I am a coder, but I'm more interested in the actual design phase, and something like GM allows me to focus on that.

HOW a game is created isnt as important as how the game actually plays. It dont matter to me wether something was created in GM or C++ or Java or whatever, so long as it's a good game (and so long as it's not bugtastic).

Even still though, I do know what you mean. I'd like to say that I made such and such game absolutely from scratch at some point, but.... then I look at something like Game Maker, and realize just how many HOURS UPON HOURS of time that can save me.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 am

Oh I can understand that you have to put in time and you can produce amazing stuff but I'd like to work with constraints imposed on me, perhaps making a game for a console.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 am

I'd love to make my own game, I have about 10 notebooks/sketchpads full of ideas and concepts for games.

Never have the time/chance to follow it through though.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 am

Given the choice of producing the game I wanted with an existing toolkit or producing nothing at all, I think there'd be more satisfaction in the former.

Having said that, I'm determined to knock out a game in assembly language for the Oric's 30th birthday next year. I've already done some of the groundwork this year, but the birthday thing is motivating me towards actually getting beyond random bits of test code.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Speedball81

Post by Speedball81 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Game Maker looks like it could be a good option for me as it seems well supported.

I have no previous experience with real coding and don't have much spare time so it's unrealistic for me to start from scratch with a programming language.

I just want to get creative with some of these ideas in my head. I'm happy to let someone else do the maths (and pay them for it of course).

Sense of achievement is a purely subjective thing.

Cheers

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Misery wrote:
speedlolita wrote:I'd feel no sense of achievement using a WYSIWYG creator.

Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks.
Your not kidding. It's the artistic element or lack of on my part that kills most of my projects.
Speedball81 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Game Maker looks like it could be a good option for me as it seems well supported.

I have no previous experience with real coding and don't have much spare time so it's unrealistic for me to start from scratch with a programming language.

I just want to get creative with some of these ideas in my head. I'm happy to let someone else do the maths (and pay them for it of course).

Sense of achievement is a purely subjective thing.

Cheers
I never liked GM but it very popular and free. Make sure you have a look at construct classic too. It's good and aesy to use. You can get classic and construct 2 here: https://www.scirra.com/

Speedball81

Post by Speedball81 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Also, I was wondering, do any of these programs allow you to effectively decrease the screen resolution to say 320x200 (whilst maintaining full-screen) for added retroness?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm

After someone that can make flash games, want one making for the Lass