Illnesses and disabilities in video games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroMartin

Illnesses and disabilities in video games

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 am

Thought I'd try a slightly different kind of discussion here, not pertaining to either retro or current gaming but in general.

With lots of different illnesses, afflictions and disabilities in the world, I was wondering if anybody here has anything that has changed the way they game or has had a slight impact on one or two occasions to what they do.

Personally I have an irritating case of OCD which means I've wasted a lot of gaming time cleaning my controllers when I've bought second hand as they're always covered in some sort of caked on food or whatnot. I have a friend who's eyesight is exceptionally poor as well and he has to sit barely a half metre away from his telly or he just won't be able to make things out well enough even on a 40 inch screen.

Anybody else?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Misery

Re: Illnesses and disabilities in video games

Post by Misery » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am

Nerve pain, and related stuffs. I go to physical therapy for this, always buckets of fun.

When my arm flares up, I cannot use the PC mouse, though it depends on just how bad it gets at the time. The motions with the mouse make it just get worse. I have had to adapt damn near every game I have on PC to use a controller.... and I mean pretty much ALL of them. Considering that a huge number of PC games DO NOT support controllers whatsoever... and considering that the controller needs to be able to control both keyboard inputs as well as mouse at the same time, this was quite the task in some games. Something like Minecraft, for instance, I've been playing it with a controller pretty much since I got into it; I've done it with that game SO much that I get trouble if I try to play it with the normal controls.

Also, it means that much of the time, I cannot "button-mash" at all. Cant just sit there and hit one damn button (controller or otherwise) over and over and over and over and over again, as that can make it REALLY bad. Can be a problem with shmups: They either have an autofire function, or I FORCE an autofire function, and if neither of those happens, I cant play them.

Also usually cant use arcade sticks either much of the time; though that's getting a bit better recently.

It's all pretty annoying.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 am

Great thread, its amazing to hear that you guys persevere through your disabilities and still enjoy gaming.

The first guy that really came into my mind was a Street Fighter player called Brolly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU

Truely inspirational and very creative!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:35 am

Came to mind for me too RUOK.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

That's awesome, I've never seen that video before, the guy has really worked around his disability to enable him to play games, cracking!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 pm

That streetfighter player is incredible.

This blind gamer plays Zelda and other games through listening, amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaTgarrett/videos?view=0
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32 pm

both of those are impressive,the street fighter person would slaughter me and you can appreciate why the blind person was emulating and constantly using save states.
i seem to recall some big claims a while ago about wearing a headband or hat thing with sensors that can control a game using only thoughts,i guess it didn't work or didn't take off as i haven't seen anything since.a damn shame if they couldn't get it to work properly.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Misery wrote:Nerve pain, and related stuffs. I go to physical therapy for this, always buckets of fun.

When my arm flares up, I cannot use the PC mouse, though it depends on just how bad it gets at the time. The motions with the mouse make it just get worse. I have had to adapt damn near every game I have on PC to use a controller.... and I mean pretty much ALL of them. Considering that a huge number of PC games DO NOT support controllers whatsoever... and considering that the controller needs to be able to control both keyboard inputs as well as mouse at the same time, this was quite the task in some games. Something like Minecraft, for instance, I've been playing it with a controller pretty much since I got into it; I've done it with that game SO much that I get trouble if I try to play it with the normal controls.

Also, it means that much of the time, I cannot "button-mash" at all. Cant just sit there and hit one damn button (controller or otherwise) over and over and over and over and over again, as that can make it REALLY bad. Can be a problem with shmups: They either have an autofire function, or I FORCE an autofire function, and if neither of those happens, I cant play them.

Also usually cant use arcade sticks either much of the time; though that's getting a bit better recently.

Your post had me wondering if Nintendo ought to have made it compulsory for all Wii games to feature the option to be played using the Wii joypad.

I know many, if not most, Wii games have that option but by no means all. The one that stands out for me would the The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword because, to the best of my knowledge, it can only be played by having to flail one's arms about using the motion controls of the Wii Remote. Some may make the claim the decision to not allow for the option of joypad control is a form of discrimination.

Food for thought...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Misery wrote:Nerve pain, and related stuffs. I go to physical therapy for this, always buckets of fun.

Your post had me wondering if Nintendo ought to have made it compulsory for all Wii games to feature the option to be played using the Wii joypad.

I know many, if not most, Wii games have that option but by no means all. The one that stands out for me would the The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword because, to the best of my knowledge, it can only be played by having to flail one's arms about using the motion controls of the Wii Remote. Some may make the claim the decision to not allow for the option of joypad control is a form of discrimination.

Food for thought...
While a fair few more games probably could have included 'standard' controls, I don't think all games should have had to include them. And let's not forget that in many instances the motion controls are realtively subtle and, while subjective, can be to the gameplay's benefit.

In the case of Skyward Sword, the game was specifically made with the motion controls in mind and I'm not sure the precision could be replicated on a regular controller. Also the amount of flailing is completely dependant on the player, if you want to stand up and flail around you can, or you can simply stay sat and flick your wrist, with your arm barely even moving at the elbow, as I did.

Nintendo probably could have increased their sales of Skyward Sword if they had included regular controls, however I think they would have had to dumb down their vision of motion controls to accomodate them, so it's actually to their credit they didn't take the safe option and tried something new.

As for descrimination, it really should go without saying that all video games (and other entertainment) descriminate against those who can't play them. I'm sure the 'standard' controllers probably already descriminate against somepeople. I sincerly hope nobody would seriously accuse Nintendo of been out of order to offer motion control only games such as Skyward Sword, Nintendo aren't exactly depriving a God given right.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 am

I have that weird condition where if you ask me to call out the names of colours rapidly I'll usually say the wrong colour, even though I know exactly what colour it is. It makes playing games with my kids (that feature button colour quick time events) significantly harder than they should be.

It never happens unless I have to call them out as fast as possible. Then it's anybody's guess as to what comes out! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 am

pratty wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:

Food for thought...
While a fair few more games probably could have included 'standard' controls, I don't think all games should have had to include them. And let's not forget that in many instances the motion controls are realtively subtle and, while subjective, can be to the gameplay's benefit.

In the case of Skyward Sword, the game was specifically made with the motion controls in mind and I'm not sure the precision could be replicated on a regular controller. Also the amount of flailing is completely dependant on the player, if you want to stand up and flail around you can, or you can simply stay sat and flick your wrist, with your arm barely even moving at the elbow, as I did.

Nintendo probably could have increased their sales of Skyward Sword if they had included regular controls, however I think they would have had to dumb down their vision of motion controls to accomodate them, so it's actually to their credit they didn't take the safe option and tried something new.

As for descrimination, it really should go without saying that all video games (and other entertainment) descriminate against those who can't play them. I'm sure the 'standard' controllers probably already descriminate against somepeople. I sincerly hope nobody would seriously accuse Nintendo of been out of order to offer motion control only games such as Skyward Sword, Nintendo aren't exactly depriving a God given right.

Aye, it is certainly doable to use the wiimotes with smaller movements. ...I tend to be excitable though, so I would end up swinging the damn thing wildly. Always been like that. I'm also the loud type of player that shrieks at the screen or yells as loud as possible into a mic during multiplayer (and this is why I dont use mics, hah). The smaller movements only work if you're capable of constant calmness. Wrist movements alone though will still flare up my arm if done enough.

My real problem with them isnt that though, it's just that I tend to find it obnoxious and inaccurate. Motion controls in general, I mean, not JUST the Wiimote.

You're right though, even basic controllers cant be used by some. I used to know someone who could only use one hand for this; the other hand didnt work right, basically. She always perservered anyway though; would set the controller on the floor, and use one hand on the whole thing.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 am

Motion sickness in first person shooter?
Does this count as one?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 am

Misery wrote:... I'm also the loud type of player that shrieks at the screen or yells as loud as possible into a mic during multiplayer (and this is why I dont use mics, hah).
I thought it was videogaming law that American gamers played the likes of CoD/MW on their Xbox 360s to call everyone a fag, douchebag, etc... :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ianhamilton_

Post by ianhamilton_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:15 am

resident paul wrote:Motion sickness in first person shooter?
Does this count as one?
Yes absolutely, a disability occurs when a physical/mental condition comes up against a barrier that causes a problem for you being able to go about your day to day life.

In this case it's you sensitivity coming up against things like unnatural FOV and mismatched walk bob and weapon bob.

There are very easy fixes for most of the things mentioned in this thread, simple ways to remove those unnecessary barriers. What is a huge barrier for some people is often a minor barrier for everyone else, so making those kind of considerations generally makes the game better for everyone.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Freestyler wrote:I have that weird condition where if you ask me to call out the names of colours rapidly I'll usually say the wrong colour, even though I know exactly what colour it is. It makes playing games with my kids (that feature button colour quick time events) significantly harder than they should be.

It never happens unless I have to call them out as fast as possible. Then it's anybody's guess as to what comes out! :lol:
i have the exact same thing,i thought it was just me.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"