master system

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: master system

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:40 am

killbot wrote:
Basically, if you're getting into the MS seriously, you may want to spend the extra on an MS1 but if it's just for a spot of dabbling there's no great need.
i just want to do a spot of dabbeling really
see if i like it before i splurge on a master system 1

i will keep the recomemndations in the thread under consideration
and it wil mostl likley be a master system 2 which is what i can find on fleabay unless somebody wants to swap a master system ( 1 or 2 ) for an n64 ( which i doubt)
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 am

Speedball81 wrote:If you go for the Master System II make sure you get the one with Alex Kidd built in. This is an expensive game for us with the first Master System!
When I recently bought a MS2, I was told by the guy that he had ones with Sonic built in and ones with Alex Kidd built in. I told him I didn't mind which I got, and when he dropped it off it turned out to be Sonic.

I then discovered that copies of Sonic on cart tend to sell for under a fiver while Alex Kidd often goes for upwards of £30. That was when I realised what a mistake I'd made!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Speedball81 wrote:If you go for the Master System II make sure you get the one with Alex Kidd built in. This is an expensive game for us with the first Master System!
Is a built in Alex Kidd uncommon for the Master System I?
Because mine has it built in and my friend's too.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Trickster wrote:
No. That's why the cartridge is so expensive - not many of them about because so many people already had the game built into the console.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Speedball81

Post by Speedball81 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Trickster wrote:
No. That's why the cartridge is so expensive - not many of them about because so many people already had the game built into the console.
Oh, I may have wrongly assumed that the original MS with Alex Kidd built in was quite rare. Mine has Hang On and safari Hunt built in - anyone want to swap? :wink:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:45 pm

once i have a master system sure ;p

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Here's a question about the Master System that some Sega buffs may be able to answer. Why was the 'Master System' name so played down in the early days? The early game packaging only carried the Sega logo and made no reference to the 'Master System' while the early TV adverts relied on the 'Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega' strapline and again the words 'Master System' were mysteriously absent. Although the name did appear on the console itself Sega seemed to be happy for the machine to be known as simply 'The Sega' until the Mega Drive appeared and they needed to differentiate between the two. So from the early 90s the Master System branding becomes much more visible, both on the console itself and on the game packaging.

Am I imagining all this or was there a reason for it?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:50 pm

maybe they tried to copy nintendo ?
the nes wasnt called the nes but just the nintendo lets play some nintendo
do you have a nintendo ?
i want a nintendo game

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

killbot wrote:Here's a question about the Master System that some Sega buffs may be able to answer. Why was the 'Master System' name so played down in the early days? The early game packaging only carried the Sega logo and made no reference to the 'Master System' while the early TV adverts relied on the 'Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega' strapline and again the words 'Master System' were mysteriously absent. Although the name did appear on the console itself Sega seemed to be happy for the machine to be known as simply 'The Sega' until the Mega Drive appeared and they needed to differentiate between the two. So from the early 90s the Master System branding becomes much more visible, both on the console itself and on the game packaging.

I can always remember calling it the Master System.

But then most people called the Atari 2600 simply "The Atari"

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 am

Brand recognition.

The Early 'Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega' ads were trying to get potential gamers to link the Master System they saw in the adverts to the games htey knew from the arcade/home computer conversions such as OutRun, Space Harrier etc. Plus, it was helping to build brand recognition for the 'Sega' name.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 am

The Laird wrote:
killbot wrote:Here's a question about the Master System that some Sega buffs may be able to answer. Why was the 'Master System' name so played down in the early days? The early game packaging only carried the Sega logo and made no reference to the 'Master System' while the early TV adverts relied on the 'Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega' strapline and again the words 'Master System' were mysteriously absent. Although the name did appear on the console itself Sega seemed to be happy for the machine to be known as simply 'The Sega' until the Mega Drive appeared and they needed to differentiate between the two. So from the early 90s the Master System branding becomes much more visible, both on the console itself and on the game packaging.

I can always remember calling it the Master System.

But then most people called the Atari 2600 simply "The Atari"
It was also the VCS, or 2600 to most

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 am

It's also worth remembering that the 3D glasses only with the the MS1 due to the card slot interface, but then again, the glasses are pretty fragile and the games (all 6 of them) tend to fetch a reasonable price.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 am

The Power Base adapter for the MD1 also has the card slot so will work with 3D glasses on a CRT.

I've always wanted to revisit those since I've not seen them since bitd. I got as far as acquiring a couple of the games but never got round to the glasses as they tended to be a bit on the pricey side.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am

Voodoo wrote:It's also worth remembering that the 3D glasses only with the the MS1 due to the card slot interface, but then again, the glasses are pretty fragile and the games (all 6 of them) tend to fetch a reasonable price.
Indeed I have a broken pair at home, my 50 euro cent glasses from Spain 2003 are infinitely stronger. But not as much fun!

The Master System holds a certain charm as it was the first console I bought new with Safari Hunt and Hang-on built in.

I had a few cards as they seemed to be less popular (cheaper) by the time I got one. Wish I still had them now :( .