master system

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RUOK

Re: master system

Post by RUOK » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Many great games have already been mentioned in this thread but please allow me to throw in my two penneth.

The SMS had many brilliant versions of arcade classics such as Shinobi and Fantasy Zone but I would avoid Strider, Altered Beast and Golden Axe. Strider suffers from a hell of a lot of flicker and AB and GA play much better on the SMSs 16 bit brother.

But don't be put off by all the games that are better on the Mega Drive, there are great versions of Robocop VS Terminator, James Pond II and Road Rash (to name but a few) on the SMS. All hold up well on this console

The SMS was also home to many great shumps, I have very fond memories of playing Scamble Spirits (the first game I ever clocked!) and Fantasy Zone is an awesome conversion (and insanely difficult - to me anyway)

Physco Fox is also an amazing game, it was made by the same people that would later go on to make Decap Attack. It has a steep learning curve so be prepared for this and remember you're in 8-bit territory - so its going to tough regardless!

The Sonic games have already been mentioned but its good to bear in mind that these are SMS exclusives (well not counting the GG) and not just bad MD conversions. They are really worth your time - as is Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion, a real classic and again, its not a straight MD conversion but a SMS exclusive.

Cost wise the games are quite cheap. I recently picked up 8 games (Pacmania, Ms Pacman, Rampart, New Zealand Story, Physco Fox, Predator 2, Fantasy Zone and Altered Beast) for £10 including postage. I would pay no more than £40 for the console - and that's in good working order with games and pads

If you get the first SMS some may also have Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in (start the console without a cart in) and if you hold UP + 1 + 2 while the console is booting up you'll get the secret snail maze game :)

I hope this helps, the SMS is a great system to collect for and has some great titles. Enjoy!

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 pm

I will always recommend Ghost House.

It's not the greatest looking game on the system but a great, challenging platformer.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Master system + Master everdrive

Haters gonna hate, but balls to them its the only way of playing some games without paying way to much

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm

The MS1 has a number of advantages, but the MS2 has two crucial ones - it's much more widely available and generally much cheaper. If you can live with RF output (or find someone who can mod it) and the lack of card support (card games tend to be rare and expensive anyway so you're unlikely to build up a huge collection whichever model you get) then the MS2 does the job fine in my opinion.

Basically, if you're getting into the MS seriously, you may want to spend the extra on an MS1 but if it's just for a spot of dabbling there's no great need.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Master system looks like it was made by people from space

Master system 2 looks like it was made by Fisherprice in a dark mood
ivortheinjun wrote: Sonic 1 & 2 (swerve Chaos - awful game)
Sonic choas was good

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 pm

The Master System 1 was a better looker IMO, but the MS2 would be your cheaper option.

Another couple of games I would recommend :

Battle Outrun (chase HQ ripoff, but very good)
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
The Lucky Dime Caper (Donald Duck)
The Ninja (no laughing you lot!!)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Vyothric wrote:I RGB modded my Master System 2 and get a better picture than on my Master System 1. No jailbars.
Interesting that. Might be worth me looking into.

I've just bought an AV Famicom primarily for the reason. Although I've found out how much the PPU would be recently. Ouch!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 am

DPrinny wrote:
ivortheinjun wrote: Sonic 1 & 2 (swerve Chaos - awful game)
Sonic choas was good
This - if only it weren't so damn easy it would be one of the very best Sonics.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 am

Already covered but...

Master System 1 + Ghost House (Prefferably the card as they are Cute!)

Wonder Boy in monsterland, or the Dragons trap are both very good IMHO.

I also like the version of spy vs spy, but I could be the only one.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:02 am

I have both and I also prefer the first one.

I would recommend Golden Axe Warrior.
A Zelda-clone, but a bloody good one!

And Scramble Spirits is much fun together with a friend.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:02 am

DPrinny wrote:Master system looks like it was made by people from space

Master system 2 looks like it was made by Fisherprice in a dark mood
Here's the thing. NOW the Master System 1 and the Mega Drive 1 look great. Better than their successors for sure. But in the 90s, the squared-off, boxy look was out. Right out. Look at the designs of 90s models of cars like the Corsa and Micra, all rounded edges and cute looks. Industrial design, like clothes design, goes through phases, and in 1994 the Master System 2 looked far more fashionable than the MS1.

Since then, the tide of fashion has turned again and now the sleek futurism of the first models looks miles better to our eyes than the cutesy roundness of the second. But at the time, it was just right. In the early 90s I remember thinking the MD2 was a huge improvement - a much tidier design with none of those messy looking bits and bobs like volume controls and whatnot grafted on. Now I think completely the opposite - the MD1 is a design classic and the MD2 is a bit cheap and tacky. When I compare the MD2 with its cheap-feeling, brittle plastic and wobbly, ill-fitting power/reset buttons to my SNES which feels solid enough to survive a nuclear blast it just seems cheap and nasty.

All that said, I have a MS2 and a MD2 in my collection - not because I prefer their looks (I don't, as I've explained above) but because they're much cheaper and easier to get hold of. When I'm flush I might swap them for the respective original models but right now I don't see the point. They play the games, which is kind of all I need right now.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:42 am

Nar they looked better back then as well.

Even the first Mega Cd looked awesome

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:22 pm

I think the design of the "updated" consoles gets a bit of a raw deal. Back then I preferred the size and shape of both the MS and MD mk 2s.

The connectivity of the Master System II only matters in hindsight now people want to hook them up to modern displays. I never heard a peep about the lack of an RGB connection back then. During most of the time it was my primary console, I had it hooked up to a black and white TV. :lol:

I never owned a MS mk 1, and it's only as a collector wanting a complete collection that I could see myself craving one.

Good shout above on Road Rash incidentally.

As for Sonic Chaos, it remains the only major console game I've completed the first time I picked it up (albeit, admittedly, without all emeralds). Seeing as though I picked it up in opening week at more or less full price, that's always rankled with me.

Seeing as though I kept going back to Sonic 2 purely for the joy of playing it, it's that and the original that stayed with me over the years. They felt like works of art to be proud of, while Chaos just felt like a quick cash-in by comparison.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I can recall the Asterix and Donald Duck games were fun. I can't really remember that many MS games TBH.

Speedball81

Post by Speedball81 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:18 pm

If you go for the Master System II make sure you get the one with Alex Kidd built in. This is an expensive game for us with the first Master System!

Some Master System games I recommend:

Sensible Soccer (as good as the Amiga version IMHO)
Speedball II (")
Sonic 1 (I prefer it to MD version)
Choplifter
Outrun
R-Type
Shinobi
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Olympic Gold
Astro Warrior