Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, FreeLancer) kickstarter

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rocky1980

Re: Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, FreeLancer) kickstarter

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

I really do not see how SC can live up to the hype, not matter how much money people are throwing at it. People are spending thousands of dollars on virtual in game ships and we really have no clue what they will be able to do with this. I just took a look at the kickstarter page for it, wow a lot of comments about people getting refunds a sub Reddit on how to get a refund. I was really really close to backing it, however I just did not have any spare money at the time. I loved all the Wing Commander games. From what I have read, and seen online. SC is a mix of Eve, WOW, and Destiny Its raised more than $120 million, so its ether going to be one of the best games of all time or the biggest train wreak in gaming ever.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:29 am

Rocky

Image Image

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am

Well they still have a "late 2016" release window on their site. :wink:

Tbh, space sim MMOs such as this game are never really "complete" since the devs can just keep adding things to it and expanding it. It's more about a stable, mainly bug-free build that would count as a "release".

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:11 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Well they still have a "late 2016" release window on their site. :wink:
Yeah, just like they had "2014" and "2015" release windows on it in the past.
Tbh, space sim MMOs such as this game are never really "complete" since the devs can just keep adding things to it and expanding it. It's more about a stable, mainly bug-free build that would count as a "release".
Incomplete I can handle; most MMOs start small and accumulate content over time after all. It's when years go by and the game is still unreleased that's the problem. In such circumstances it's very difficult to tell the difference between something that's just expanding in scope, and something that's spiralled totally out of control. As such, it's only natural to be a bit cautious when looking at the game's prospects.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:51 am

I think people will be lucky to see it in 2017.......
Rocky

Image Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:32 am

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Well they still have a "late 2016" release window on their site. :wink:
Yeah, just like they had "2014" and "2015" release windows on it in the past.
Incomplete I can handle; most MMOs start small and accumulate content over time after all. It's when years go by and the game is still unreleased that's the problem. In such circumstances it's very difficult to tell the difference between something that's just expanding in scope, and something that's spiralled totally out of control. As such, it's only natural to be a bit cautious when looking at the game's prospects.
Single player campaign, Squadron 42, now delayed until 2017.

Most expected news ever I should think. I see the Star Citizen fanboys as genuine cultists these days. Will their messiah ever arrive? Maybe if they keep praying and throw enough money at virtual items that don't exist. Me, I'll be checking out the game preview of Everspace between bouts of Eliite Dangerous.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 am

The Beans wrote:I see the Star Citizen fanboys as genuine cultists these days. Will their messiah ever arrive?
I think they have reasons to behave this way, SC is easily the most ambitious present day title in the making, looking at some recent gameplay vids. :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:24 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:I see the Star Citizen fanboys as genuine cultists these days. Will their messiah ever arrive?
I think they have reasons to behave this way, SC is easily the most ambitious present day title in the making, looking at some recent gameplay vids. :wink:
There is nothing even remotely ambitious, or even innovative, about this game's gameplay.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:35 pm

I like this little quote from MCV
The team's current project is to bring one of the chapters to release quality, and when that is done it will be shown off to the public. Somewhat worryingly there is 28 chapters in the game, which makes it sound like there is a lot of work to get done.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/star-cit ... te/0173645
Rocky

Image Image

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:07 pm

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
There is nothing even remotely ambitious, or even innovative, about this game's gameplay.
"Universe sandbox simulator" where you can do anything you want seems pretty ambitious to me. :wink:

Although at that point, it might be better to just make a "space program" with heavy customization/editing/modding possibilities like Kerbal and the likes.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:13 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: "Universe sandbox simulator" where you can do anything you want seems pretty ambitious to me.
Ha, dream on.
It's a space trading/mining/exploring/combat game and every game element in it has been seen before. It's all utterly derivative. The only ambition is one of scale and we've seen how well that turned out with No Man's Sky.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:46 pm

Yeah, it's all been done before and Roberts himself was one of the people who did most of it.

He really ought to be able to turn out this kind of game in his sleep by now, and it's not a good sign that after five years and a $100 million budget he's got preciously little to show for the work so far.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 pm

People are crazy with this. For ONLY $15,000 you can have the COMBO - THE COMPLETIONIST – DIGITAL pack. With this you get
Need to have it all? The Completionist package lets you have all ships announced up to 2014, plus a couple 2015 Concepts (See package contents). All limited ships and limited flair come with an extra copy of themselves (certain exceptions). The package also comes loaded with Hangar decorations and 20,000UEC Starting Money for game launch.
Please note that this package does not include the Javelin Destroyer, however it unlocks the ability to purchase one through the store. Please note that if you request the Completionist reclaimed for store credit the Javelin (if purchased) would be reclaimed as well
So for fifteen thousand dollars you are still not getting everything the game has to offer. Crazy just crazy
Rocky

Image Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:50 pm

rocky1980 wrote:People are crazy with this. For ONLY $15,000 you can have the COMBO - THE COMPLETIONIST – DIGITAL pack. With this you get
Need to have it all? The Completionist package lets you have all ships announced up to 2014, plus a couple 2015 Concepts (See package contents). All limited ships and limited flair come with an extra copy of themselves (certain exceptions). The package also comes loaded with Hangar decorations and 20,000UEC Starting Money for game launch.
Please note that this package does not include the Javelin Destroyer, however it unlocks the ability to purchase one through the store. Please note that if you request the Completionist reclaimed for store credit the Javelin (if purchased) would be reclaimed as well
So for fifteen thousand dollars you are still not getting everything the game has to offer. Crazy just crazy
Yeah, bonkers. All of it.

I just can't see it ever getting a release. Let's face it, it doesn't have to release. A decade from now the game will still be in development and the fans will still be living the dream and they'll still be believing and looking forward to using the expensive ships they've bought for when the great day comes. They're so heavily invested now, they've no other choice. They've just been to a convention dedicated to a game that isn't even out yet. Unbelievable.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Game is free to play till the end of the month:

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-free/

You need a killer PC for it though, there's no point bothering with this if you got a dated or low-end machine, but if you want you can still try to run it.

Minimum system requirements:

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 940
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 / AMD Radeon HD 7970
RAM - 8 GB
OS - Win 7 64
HDD - 100 GB

Optimal requirements:

CPU - Intel Core i7-5960X 8-Core 3.0GHz / AMD FX-9590
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB / AMD Radeon R9 390
RAM - 16 GB
OS - Win 10 64
SSD - 100 GB