Hotline Miami

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

famicom69

Hotline Miami

Post by famicom69 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 am

Couldn't find a thread for this gem, anybody playing it? Possible GOTY for me, can't get enough. Best game soundtrack in years, ultra violence, trippy visuals/spritework and it completely trumps the travesty that was Max Payne 3 with it's grimy aesthetic and top down action.

This game is currently providing more fun than any full retail release this year (with the exception of Dishonoured), what a year or two for independent development :)

DreamcastRIP

Re: Hotline Miami

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am

Max Payne 3 has a "grimy aesthetic''? :shock: Which version are you playing then as that game looks absolutely stunning on a PC with the video settings maxed out?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Grimy as in the setting and filters used, both games in my eyes have a smilar hue. Can't deny MP3 is a looker but it left me feeling completely unsatisfied in literally every other aspect especially compared to the first two. Apples and oranges I know compared to Hotline Miami, but this game does so much more with so much less. It's been an absolute blast to just pick up and play, and not have to sit through cutscene after cutscene for once.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Fair enough. :D

I may have to look into Hotline Miami if it's decent as after viewing its video via Steam yesterday I thought the game looked horrendous!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 am

Bloody love this game.

have just written a review of it!

http://retrospiritgames.blogspot.co.uk/ ... mi-pc.html

Enjoy

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Brilliant game.

For all those who have been commenting on the soundtrack, I have a recommendation to make.

Sun Araw (who does the music that plays in your apartment), released an album in Summer 2012 with legendary dub pioneers The Congos. It's one of the trippiest, sun-drenched slices of queasy druggy sludge-psyche I've ever heard:

http://glowingraw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/1 ... -icon.html