Games that get you in the festive spirit

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Stuart@retrogamer

Games that get you in the festive spirit

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:49 am

Hi guys. We’re currently working on our December issue and want to know which games get you in the festive mood and why?

Roo

Re: Games that get you in the festive spirit

Post by Roo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 am

With it's giant Christmas tree plonked right in the middle, I can't help but feel the love for Christmas when I'm playing the Freezeezy Peak level in Banjo-Kazooie. Some of the Jiggy challenges - like delivering lost Christmas presents to a family of polar bears and lighting up the tree itself - are brilliant for getting you in the festive spirit whatever the time of year!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 am

Robocod all day long. Why? are you kidding................

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 am

Somewhat obscure, but Space Harrier as the Speccy/C64/Amstrad conversions were a big Christmas release, after a summer spent playing nothing but in the arcades.

There was also the self-referential Moley Christmas from Gremlin and Your Sinclair.

Unreal on the Amiga had a gorgeous-looking snowy stage 2, though I'd rather just gaze at the screenshots on the original advert than be forced to play the actual game.

Mario 64 had snowy bits too.

I know various platforms have had games based around Santa, but they're invariably cr@p.

Most Christmassy bit I like to play is Diddy Kong Racing, where the sound of sleighbells joins the soundtrack as you go through the tunnel to the snowy bit of the hub world.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 am

Nobody said xmas nights yet?

FOR SHAME!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:33 am

I hate Nights, I hate xmas Nights, I hate night into days into used tampons, I hate the love people have for it, Nights makes me feel like the gaming Grinch 'cos its gashpap, overated not even nice to look at GASH!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 am

koopa42 wrote:I hate Nights, I hate xmas Nights, I hate night into days into used tampons, I hate the love people have for it, Nights makes me feel like the gaming Grinch 'cos its gashpap, overated not even nice to look at GASH!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Oh dear somebody seems to have a case of grumpy grumps

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 am

Cant generalize but I have a personal memory and game....

Donkey Kong Classics on the NES, reason why - Christmas, 1989, a young 8 year old "TekaOtaku" :D unwraps his first giant Christmas present, NES Action Set...cool...opens the second small book shape present, Donkey Kong Classics...double cool...

So whenever I play Donkey Kong Classics on the NES, it whisks me back to Christmas 1989, sat in the second lounge with my portable TV playing all day, only stopping to eat Christmas Dinner and use the Loo and that game gets me in the festive spirit.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:53 am

I hate Christmas, bah humbug!

But even Christmas Nights makes me feel all fuzzy inside!

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am

Oddly Streets of Rage on the MegaDrive

I got a MD from Santa with SoR, played this game all over the holidays and everytime I have played it since it just triggers that warm christmas feeling in me, even if I hear the soundtrack it does the same.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 am

Kick off.....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:59 am

since opening my mega drive and playing sonic for the first time (the pack in game) one christmas,now just hearing the "SEGA" and that tune kicking in makes me feel christmassy.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 am

Monopoly. It makes me drink any spirits at Christmas if anyone suggests playing it.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 am

koopa42 wrote:I hate Nights, I hate xmas Nights, I hate night into days into used tampons, I hate the love people have for it, Nights makes me feel like the gaming Grinch 'cos its gashpap, overated not even nice to look at GASH!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

.....wow. Even I usually dont hate specific games THAT much.

Anyway, on topic:

First there's "Xmas Lemmings", which is one of the first ones I always think of with this (ah, I do miss the Lemmings series).

And then there's the Christmas Jetpack.... thing. I forget if this was like some sort of wierd expansion or graphics pack or both..... but seeing as how Jetpack was one of my absolute favorite games back then... and also seeing as how I've been playing it's in-beta upcoming sequel lately... this one popped to mind right away.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:18 am

Another vote for Robocod for the xmas theme, but personally it was Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the SMS2 (built in), was a Xmas Pressie from my big brother must be 1990 / 91??
Remember sitting mesmerized at the "big" telly downstairs on Christmas morning that year :D