Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

OldSkoolCoolFool

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Although not a game that would have immediately popped into my head I can see why some people think Starfox/Starwing is deserving of a mention.Its a damn fine game and its certainly a better use of 3D in an arcade style shooter than any ST/Amiga game I can think of. Don't really see the relevance of the Super FX chip being used, it's a Snes game so that makes it 16 bit to me.

As far as 16 bit goes, Dragons Lair and Space Ace have probably the beat graphics I can think of, too bad the gameplay is none existent though.

Also Trapdoor and Savage looked better than pretty much anything else ever did on the spectrum, nice big graphics and excellent use of colour.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Some great looking games mentioned so far, some others I remember thinking looked great at the time would be something like:

The arcade sections of Actraiser and Alien 3 on the SNES, Top Hunter on the Neo Geo still looks brilliant to my eyes and still one of my top pick up and play games to this day.

Always liked the look of Battletoads and Snake Rattle & Roll on the NES, R-type on PC Engine and MS, Strider on MD, Slime world and Xenophobe on the Lynx as well as the other games mentioned for the system.

Others that bowled me over on the 16 bit computers, Starglider 2, No Second Prize, Gods, Cadavar, F29 retaliator on Atari ST/Amiga.

Stepping further back in time, Starquake, Heartland, Nodes Of Yesod, Cybernoid 1+2, Exolon, Starstrike 2, Sabrewulf, Amaurote all impressed me on the Spectrum.

I remember being wowed by Dragon's Lair on the Gameboy too, even though the game was pretty ropey.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 am

The Laird wrote:If you want evidence of the Amiga doing amazing 3D then look no further than Epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S32cYk05TvY

There is also an ST version which is actually better as it runs a bit faster but I could only find a video of the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6Fndq6uks
don't know about that one. the design of the actual objects isn't that appealing (badly rendered klingon cruisers!).

runs in a small window and needs at least 1 meg to run (upgrade?)

i preferred the wireframe window under the main play area.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:01 am

there was a game on the amiga that used scaling sprites i remember looking pretty impressive, it definitely worked on the low end 500 amiga, because i couldn't afford the 1 meg version.

it was a racing game a bit like powerdrift, but the name escapes me. it was really fast but the draw distance wasn't great, but still - scaling sprites! it might of run at 50hz too which was nice.

will google/youtube it later.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 am

HEAVYface wrote:there was a game on the amiga that used scaling sprites i remember looking pretty impressive, it definitely worked on the low end 500 amiga, because i couldn't afford the 1 meg version.

it was a racing game a bit like powerdrift, but the name escapes me. it was really fast but the draw distance wasn't great, but still - scaling sprites! it might of run at 50hz too which was nice.

Could be Vroom but that was more F1 like than Powerdrift?

How about the impressive Starstrike II by Realtime on the Speccy & CPC. Filled in 3D graphics on the 8-bits. Didn't run at 30fps but then neither did Starfox & there were no extra chips to help the Speccy/Arnold out either! :P
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

tux

Post by tux » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 am

Stunt car racer, Amiga, always looked great too imo. Fast and gave a great feeling of actually driving on a track 100foot in the air!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 am

I'd think that Frontier was probably the best use of 3D graphics on the Amiga and ST. It is rather slow on an 8MHz machine unless you crank the detail right down though, and is a distinctly flawed game. The likes of Starglider II and Damocles play better, even if they don't look quite so good.

For 8 bit games, I'd have to go with games of Pete Cooke - especially Micronaut One on the Spectrum - and Realtime games, who I'd say peaked with Starstrike II. Carrier Command on the 8 bits is mighty impressive too, but just comes off looking a bit too slow and lacking detail when you've seen the 16 bit versions.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Nemesis wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:there was a game on the amiga that used scaling sprites i remember looking pretty impressive, it definitely worked on the low end 500 amiga, because i couldn't afford the 1 meg version.

Could be Vroom but that was more F1 like than Powerdrift?

How about the impressive Starstrike II by Realtime on the Speccy & CPC. Filled in 3D graphics on the 8-bits. Didn't run at 30fps but then neither did Starfox & there were no extra chips to help the Speccy/Arnold out either! :P
found it - it was called drivin force
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJDgYxgyNM
gameplay and graphic design looks like sh!te - but from a tech point of view looks slick.

McBoosh

Post by McBoosh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

I am more impressed by smooth animation over 'graphics'. But during the 8 bit era, for me, has to be Thanatos on the Speccy. How they were able to get a sprite that size to animate like that, as well as having a pretty neat game underneath all for 48k is beyond me.
In terms of 16bit - most of the disney games on the MD looked and still look quite nice - though maybe not as consistently as they did back in the day. I think that the MD was best when it was doing its own thing (Thunder Force 4) rather than when it was trying to ape the SNES (Toy Story) - try as hard as it might, it couldnt match the SNES for that DKC style of graphics - and as a sega fanboy, it hurts me to admit that!

KM*

Post by KM* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Bahamut Lagoon had some fantastic battle animations for it's time, comparable to Breath of Fire 4 which was made 5 years later on a different more powerful system.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Apologies if they've been mentioned, but Another World and Flashback deserve a mention.

They were both "game changers" in the way they looked and played, particularly on the Amiga.

martyg

Post by martyg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm

For me, as far as 16-bit on the Intellivision it has to be games like Star Hawk, Thunder Castle, Atlantis, and Demon Attack.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Arc of Yesod on the 8bits and Heartland had lovely detailed graphics.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Personally i think Starfox looks amazing, thought it was amazing back when it was released and still do now for a 16-bit game.

Here are my few that spring to mind;

Ishtar series - Amiga
Jim Power - Amiga
Flashback - Any system it was on really
Desert Strike - Amiga (its best version graphically, but it scrolls somthing aweful though)

Comix Zone - Mega Drive
Desert Fighter - SNES
Sonic seies - Mega Drive

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:18 pm

retrosofer wrote:Personally i think Starfox looks amazing, thought it was amazing back when it was released and still do now for a 16-bit game.

Here are my few that spring to mind;

Ishtar series - Amiga
Jim Power - Amiga
Flashback - Any system it was on really
Desert Strike - Amiga (its best version graphically, but it scrolls somthing aweful though)

Comix Zone - Mega Drive
Desert Fighter - SNES
Sonic seies - Mega Drive
Soon as I read Desert Strike my fist thought was "Desert Fighter was better" lol.