Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
ulala
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 am

Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by ulala » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 am

I was reading a review today about "adventures of batman and robin" on the mega cd, as one does, and they mentioned it had "the second best graphics of the generation".

I know this is an emotive topic - but what games actually did have the best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generations?

User avatar
learnedrobb
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 am

Well, it is totally subjective.

Donkey Kong Country is easily one of the best looking 16bit games ever produced on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is also damn good looking.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

ulala
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 am

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by ulala » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 am

learnedrobb wrote:Well, it is totally subjective.

Donkey Kong Country is easily one of the best looking 16bit games ever produced on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is also damn good looking.
of course it is, but thats what makes these threads fun.

i remember first seeing DKC on the snes and being completely gobsmacked, i still am. even though we go on about it being pre-rendered, the machine still has to push it about - its as smooth as silk and it looks fantastic.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:04 am

Plenty of games with great graphics to choose from for this thread! :D

Some 16-bit games that stand out for me include the likes of Starray (Atari ST), Sonic The Hedgehog (MD), OutRun (PC Engine), STUN Runner (Lynx), Blue Lightning (Lynx), Aladdin (MD), Shadow of the Beast (Amiga), Xenon II: Megablast (Amiga), Thunderforce IV (MD), Metal Slug (AES), Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)...

(Yes, I'm aware the PC Engine and Atari Lynx aren't technically 16-bit but the SNES only had an 8-bit data bus so pfft!)
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 am

ulala wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:Well, it is totally subjective.

Donkey Kong Country is easily one of the best looking 16bit games ever produced on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is also damn good looking.
of course it is, but thats what makes these threads fun.

i remember first seeing DKC on the snes and being completely gobsmacked, i still am. even though we go on about it being pre-rendered, the machine still has to push it about - its as smooth as silk and it looks fantastic.

I still feel they look brilliant today. Yoshi's Island and Killer Instinct would be good shouts as well
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am

Lawnmowerman SNES

Seriously, its 3D sections still look good

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:07 am

Negative Creep wrote:
ulala wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:Well, it is totally subjective.

Donkey Kong Country is easily one of the best looking 16bit games ever produced on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is also damn good looking.
of course it is, but thats what makes these threads fun.

i remember first seeing DKC on the snes and being completely gobsmacked, i still am. even though we go on about it being pre-rendered, the machine still has to push it about - its as smooth as silk and it looks fantastic.

I still feel they look brilliant today. Yoshi's Island and Killer Instinct would be good shouts as well
A lot of SNES games did cheat though by adding extra chips to the cart

ivortheinjun
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:06 pm

The Master System Mortal Kombats were very impressive cut-down versions.

The first Sonic has to be up there too.

In terms of 16-bit, Mickey Mania was stunning.

User avatar
sebadude
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by sebadude » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Hello folks, you might find the following thread interesting for this kind of thing too! :)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 11&start=0

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I always thought that The Secret of Mana on the SNES had amazing 16bit visuals.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 pm

gman72 wrote:I always thought that The Secret of Mana on the SNES had amazing 16bit visuals.
Image

Really? Looks rather twee from what I've seen of the game. Each to their own I suppose.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26889
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:03 pm

But they are amazing, twee or not. There's no denying there's a talented artist there when you look at all the detail in just that one screenshot.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by snowkatt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

gman72 wrote:I always thought that The Secret of Mana on the SNES had amazing 16bit visuals.
agreed

though i think street fighter alpha 2 on the snes has amazing visuals too
cut animation and loading times not withstanding it stil looks amazing

so does out of this world
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
Andy L
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by Andy L » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

I always loved the look of World Of Illusion on the Mega Drive :)

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Best graphics of the 8 and 16 bit generation

Post by will2097 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:25 pm

It's entirely subjective.

Starwars (wireframe) and Elite (wireframe) are my two favourites.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests