Favourite Movie tie-in

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Favourite Movie tie-in

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:49 am

I dont know if anyones done one for this yet so i thought id do it.

What is your fav movie tie-in (arcade, home computer or arcade) and why?
What memories does it provoke?
What ones make you scream with excitement or shout with anger because it was so crap?

mine's Robocop mainy because it was so cool at the time. Not only was it so hard but it had smooth scrolling, smart graphics nd ED-209 as the first end of level boss.

What more would you want? (apart from a personal servant called Hans who can click his fingers and make loads of money!)

----------------------------
You've gotta be f***ing kidding!

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 am

Ghostbusters.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:22 am

Cobra on the C64.

Joke. The Speccy version really.

Zorrobandito

Post by Zorrobandito » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 am

For top-dog, I'd have to go with Goldeneye on the N64. It turned the film-license world on its head (from which it has, unfortunately, righted itself and is back to producing mostly crap.)

Worst tie-in? How about a game-of-a-film-of-a-game - Street Fighter: The Movie?

Legend has it that the lead programmer of SF: The Movie, actually destroyed his hands by feeding them into the CD duplicator, to prevent his talents ever being put to such misuse again.

Arcade operators also complained that other machines running near it would develop mysterious faults and that overhead lights had to be serviced more often.

Apparently if you play the soundtrack of SF: The Movie backwards, you can hear the sound of Raul Julia turning in his grave.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:05 am

id have to agree with that. street fighter: the movie (makes me shudder typing it. makes me shudder even more thinking of it!) was quite crap. mind you, i thought the movie wasnt that bad. But didnt the piece of crap come out on the PLayStation as well as the Saturn?
Lethal Weapon on the Amiga was good. IMO its better than the snes version. And having played goldeneye, i can agree that it is the saving grace of the N64. the levels were thought out, the controls responsive. it just reeks perfection.

----------------------------
You gotta be f***ing kidding!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:59 am

Best.....,. Starwars

Worst........ Red Heat :?

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:56 am

Out of the official ones, probably Ghostbusters on the C64.

Out of the un-official ones: Aliens Total Conversion for Doom. I played this on the Amiga and loved it.

The Thing (PC) was quite good too, as were the Alien Vs Predator (PC) games.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Robocop 3 on the amiga was pretty good. And don't laugh, but Casper on the 3DO is actually brilliant - truly a hidden gem on the machine!

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:40 pm

will2097 wrote:Robocop 3 on the amiga was pretty good. And don't laugh, but Casper on the 3DO is actually brilliant - truly a hidden gem on the machine!
I can second both of those - even though it's laughable, Casper is actually quite good!

Also I really enjoyed Total Recall on the Amiga!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Ghostbusters on C64 was superb.
The UK version of Aliens was also great fun.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Alien 3 - SNES
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:14 pm

Hmmm...Nightbreed on the Spectrum or Tie Fighter for the PC.

"Clive Barker's NightBreed"...wow. My parents got feed up with me asking for another Spectrum when I was about 13 and got me a second hand 128k+2 with about 70-odd games. One day, when I was left on my own for the afternoon I noticed Nightbreed in the collection. "Wow - thats quite nice monster makeup for a mere game!" was my initial thought after looking at the boxart. Loaded it up - the intro music. one of the best tunes ever. The game itself was good but had only one downfall: It was a multiload. It was only years later that I found out that clive barker wasn't a smoking-hot spectrum programmer, but a horror author... :shock:

Tie Fighter. At one point of my teenage life I was a complete nut on The Empire Strikes Back, and this game is the greatest Star wars game ever. Full stop. Join the Emperor's Imperial Navy! Dog fight alongside the legendary Dark Helmet - sorry, Darth Vader! Save the Emperor himself! Track down the Imperial mutineers!
TF had taken great inspiration from ESB, but more importantly, looked to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Yes, this was before LucasArts took a flying leap off a cliff and ruled the roost. No penny-pinching re-hash of the deathstar trench run here at all!
This was LucasArts finest hour as it even has a storyline and events that fit nice'n'snug into the Starwars cannon itself. After the rather frustrating X-Wing, this fixed all the issues and produced a superior product. Oh, and the music was very good indeed: Shame they butchered it for the Windows95 updates by slapping John williams score over it. Although his scores are classics(no argument there) it was a betrayal of the original game as the music was tailored to the game itself - indeed it would change on the situation. When you were approaching hostiles it would intrduce a menacing tune. When all was calm you had a harp melody playing away. A triumphant score when you were dishing out heavy punishment on the rebel scum!
The reason why Lucasarts have gone down the drain? They simply rehash the movies over-and-over again. Whats wrong with the novels? Or some of the comics? Dark Empire, The Thrawn books or Tales of the Jedi. Oh, hang on a second: Isn't Knights of the Old republic based on Tales of the Jedi? Didn't take the gaming world by storm? Is it not hailed as one of the best games ever made?

I rest my case! 8)

sephia

Post by sephia » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Rambo on the C64... purely because I was so young at the time of playing it, it felt something so special... seeing sly being rendered right before my very eyes on my own television :cry:

In retrospect, seeing it again now... it's stayed quite true to the times, he actually looks that deformed these days.

That game was waaaayyyy ahead of it's time. :D

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Definitely Goldeneye. Played the game before I watched the film which was interesting :P

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:35 am

GetDexter wrote:Ghostbusters.
Seconded. The C64 was my version of choice, and what a corker it was. :D
真・豪鬼