Disgaea D2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Disgaea D2

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Nippon Ichi Software have announced a new Disgaea game for release next year at stage event in Japan today: Disgaea Dimension 2, slated for release on the PlayStation 3 on March 20th, 2013.

This is actually “Project D,” NIS’ mystery 20th anniversary title that they teased earlier in the year. Further details will be announced at a later point, and the game’s teaser website will go live in 12 days.
Wonder what ending they are going with?

I need a PS3..............

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Disgaea D2

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:27 pm

remember buying the first one after all the hype, it was rubbish, this looks to be more of the same

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Sigh, some people just dont understand good games

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:54 pm

I always liked the look of the series but always felt a little overwhelmed by it. So many numbers! Also didnt quite understand the item world thing? I played the first on PSP/DS a little and i also played 3 for a bit. Maybe I'll give the series another shot one day.... If i ever have the time to put into it :lol:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 pm

^ Item World's the best thing about the series! Think of it kind of like a Survival Mode, where unless you have a specific item you have to get through 10 maps before a chance to exit. You can get away with some pretty bloody epic grindage.

This is a definite 'must get' for me, though I still haven't really played Disgaea 4 much yet.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:29 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:remember buying the first one after all the hype, it was rubbish, this looks to be more of the same
Aye, this.

I've given multiple games in the series a chance, as well as multiple OTHER games from the same developer.

.....but 99.99999999999% of the game, if you want to actually be able to do all the content, is GRINDING. Just. Grinding. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. It's theoretically possible for a game to be more boring, but that may involve re-writing some of the laws of physics.

Usually I see grinding as balancing mistakes by the developer, which force it upon the player. But this series.... no. These are DESIGNED around it. For some absolutely baffling reason.

I dont mind doing thigns like, say, the Item Worlds and whatnot over and over again; it's randomly generated, and you never know what it's going to be. It's INTERESTING. But you cant access any high-level stuff by doing that. Because you dont get XP at a sane rate by doing so. Some of the content in these games requires that you get characters to level 9999..... and then re-incarnate them, do it AGAIN.... and then re-incarnate them, and so on, and do this for MULTIPLE CHARACTERS. I've a friend who knows damn near everything about these games, and watching him play them is about the single most boring activity I can think of. Just consists of him doing the exact same map (one of those ones designed to be grinded) 80 squillionty times. Even with spell/attack effects turned off, these games can take hundreds of hours. Just... ugh.

And it's a real shame, because I like alot of the IDEAS in the game, but the EXTREEEEEEME GRINDING TO THE EXTREEEEEEEME just.... argh. I'll never, ever understand how that is appealing or fun at all.

KM*

Post by KM* » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 am

It's probably the same kind of pleasure that people get out of things like compound interest and what not. It's the accomplishment, not the means that they care about. The game is also a math nightmare, and a lot of people find the appeal in that solely. It gives them a chance to balance things so they can level up extremely fast if they know what they're doing.

I do tend to like the stories in the games, I've beaten 1 + 2 and Prinny 1. Prinny 1 has one of the hardest final bosses of any game ever.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... JF2xIm2nPA

Trailer, haters will hate.
I will worry that Etnas clothes seem to be getting smaller with each game

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 am

Misery wrote:
And it's a real shame, because I like alot of the IDEAS in the game, but the EXTREEEEEEME GRINDING TO THE EXTREEEEEEEME just.... argh. I'll never, ever understand how that is appealing or fun at all.
Because numbers! :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 am

Its a nerdy thing, MUST GET NUMBERS!