PowerSlave/Exhumed: and why it needs to be exhumed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Toops

PowerSlave/Exhumed: and why it needs to be exhumed

Post by Toops » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 am

Anyone have a particular game that they feel was overlooked and still hasn't received the credit that was due? I can think of a few, but some of these have gone on to become cult classics (Beyond Good and Evil for example).

I'm doing a project to get a certain game the recognition it sadly wasn't given and while it probably won't mean much to a lot of people, you should really check it out if you have time.

The game in question (or rather the developer) is PowerSlave which was known as Exhumed in Europe and developed by Lobotomy Software.

The reason for the initiative is because of their up and coming 20th Anniversary in January 2013, and even if no-one cares about the game even after all this time, I'm at least going to try.

This game was seriously and criminally overlooked, and I think it's about time we did them and their games/conversions justice.

I'm releasing some material/video on them to celebrate their work, and have been in contact with some of the members like Ezra Dreisbach to get to the facts - some of which will surprise you. He's been very candid and open about what really went on back then.

All I can say is look beyond the Doom stereotype and you won't go wrong, for this game never had a chance as the video will explain. It beat GoldenEye to the popular misconception that it was the first game to demonstrate the viability of FPS games on consoles, as well as having beat it to the idea that FPS games weren't just strip levels. I can't go into anymore until that video is finished, but if you could support the initiative and the drive to get the sequel signed up by some developer/publisher, it would be appreciated.

Cheers :D

Petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/sequel ... -in-europe
Blog (which will be updated soon):
http://lobotomysoftware.wordpress.com/about/
Video Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngNoNWcmP08
Remember Lobotomy Software? Share your memories: Facebook Fanpage

Antiriad2097

Re: PowerSlave/Exhumed: and why it needs to be exhumed

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:05 am

I'm not sure I'd agree it doesn't get recognition.

It reviewed well at the time and is still fondly remembered by many. A quick search of this forum for the title gave 15 pages of results. That puts it in pretty high regard imo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm not sure I'd agree it doesn't get recognition.

It reviewed well at the time and is still fondly remembered by many. A quick search of this forum for the title gave 15 pages of results. That puts it in pretty high regard imo.

Yeah, exactly. It regularly comes up in conversation in both Saturn and PS game lists. The Saturn version in particular was an amazing game. I still own my original copy! :lol:

And yes, I would like a franchise. But it'd basically be yet another FPS in a massive drowning sea of FPS's. :|
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:52 am

Freestyler wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm not sure I'd agree it doesn't get recognition.

Yeah, exactly. It regularly comes up in conversation in both Saturn and PS game lists. The Saturn version in particular was an amazing game. I still own my original copy! :lol:

And yes, I would like a franchise. But it'd basically be yet another FPS in a massive drowning sea of FPS's. :|
Agreed, i think considering how many fps games there are now current gen wise, even if it was pretty different and distiguished itself somewhat, it would still get lost in the sea of other fps games, maybe not even sell that well.

I think the game seems lost when you think of early fps games from all formats, as its never one to really come up in conversation over others, and as the Saturn version is better than the PC version, and the fact that for a long time the Saturn has really been dismissed unfairly as a bad console not able to handle 3D its not suprising. But within the Saturn sense/circles, its a game that is regurly highlighted as its one of the Saturns finest fps games amongst others, and the Saturn ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D by Lobotomy Software are the best console ports of the games.

Edit - Lobotomy were one of the few third party developers who were serious about the Saturn who actually tried to get everything they could out of the system to make their games the best.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 pm

I have the Saturn version and used to have it on the Playstation when new, and form what I remember the letter had far better water effects (no surprise there). For some reason the basic enemies were red scorpions in one and blue spiders in the other?

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:15 pm

I had (and still have) it on the Saturn and, frankly, never understood what the fuss was about. It was a decent enough early FPS but the level design didn't seem up there with Doom while technically it wasn't a match for Quake. It was, I suppose, quite similar to Duke 3D (unsurprising given that they share an engine IIRC) but then I always thought that was overrated too.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 pm

killbot wrote:I had (and still have) it on the Saturn and, frankly, never understood what the fuss was about. It was a decent enough early FPS but the level design didn't seem up there with Doom while technically it wasn't a match for Quake. It was, I suppose, quite similar to Duke 3D (unsurprising given that they share an engine IIRC) but then I always thought that was overrated too.
they share the same engine on the saturn yes
lobotomy was responsible for the saturn port of duke nukem

regardless i agree i coudld never see what the fuss about exhumed either and i feel duke nukem is rather overrated too
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Played the demo a lot when I first got a PS1, was brilliant, recall seeing a PC version in Poundland a few years ago too......Powerslave is a brilliant title for most things :mrgreen:

Toops

Post by Toops » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Fair comments guys, though I was silly in that I didn't specify that it was mainly overlooked from a mainstream perspective rather than those like ourselves who are much better informed (exception being myself as I have forgotten a lot).

Thanks for the comments. I don't expect the petition to go anywhere, though I can at least say that I gave it a shot.

The video I am doing is already an hour long documentary, and unfortunately I was ill when I recorded parts of it and do not have time to re-record it (because as I mentioned it's about 45-50min of talking about insights from the actual team and magazines I've collected over the years with interviews stretching back to 1995).
It should be fully edited by next week with an upload hopefully the same or the following week. I've broken it down into chapters, but decided against uploading each chapter separately. We'll see.

Thanks for the comments guys :)
Remember Lobotomy Software? Share your memories: Facebook Fanpage