Neo-Geo games you DON'T enjoy!?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

AmigaJay

Neo-Geo games you DON'T enjoy!?

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:50 pm

We have talked about what Neo Geo games are good, but what games annoy you are simply aren't worth the hype?
I'll kick off and say Crossed Swords is a game that simply bores me after the first 2 minutes, the repetitive nature of the game and the basic style of combat is pretty bad, even the cd only sequel isn't any better.

The Super Spy a similar game is again fun for a couple of minutes then it hits you that's all there is to the game, same baddies, same backgrounds very poor!

ShadowMan

Re: Neo-Geo games you DON'T enjoy!?

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Aggressors of Dark Combat gets my vote. Gameplay wise it just doesn't seem to work to well, then again the difficulty level doesn't really help matters at all and I only last a couple of matches before turning it off. Art of Fighting 2 isn't much better, I love the huge sprites and the soundtrack but I hate the gameplay, the collision detection seems off and the enemy AI is ridiculous no matter what the difficulty is set on!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Samurai Showdown, all of them. Now, I'm going to be fair and say that there's probably a lot of people who enjoy these. And they are very good looking games. They just don't really gel with what I like in a fighting game, being kind of slow and kind of defensive, and I don't really like the character designs much. Maybe I should give them another shot, I don't know.

The Art of Fighting games never felt all that great for me, either, due to their unbelivably brutal AI, the constant feeling it's SNK trying REALLY hard to rip off Street Fighter (A guy in a karate gi named Ryo? Really, guys?), and their general clunkiness.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah I agree the AOF series wasn't the best, though I did enjoy SS 2-4.... For me there's loads of better BEUs than the KOF series which I just don't get all the hype about, 98 was ok but once you've seen one of them you've seen them all!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Magician Lord. I just don't get why it enjoys such high praise, pretty bland and boring game.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Never really understood the hype with the KOF series. It's ok but nothing amazing. Take away the three on three feature & you have a poor mans Street Fighter with inferior aesthetics.

The first AOF was terrible as well.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 pm

The worst officially released Neo Geo game is easily Legend of Success Joe. Only released in Japan, it is a justifiably obscure game.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 pm

The vast majority of them tbh.
If you are not a fan of fighting games it's not really a system worth having imo?
Played Puzzle Bobble on the pocket for a while but that's about it.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:42 am

junkmale wrote:The vast majority of them tbh.
If you are not a fan of fighting games it's not really a system worth having imo?
Whilst I'm not the biggest beu fan in the world the Neo Geo is still one of my favourite consoles, even if you take the BEUs out there is still some of the greatest SEUs ever made, racing games, sport games, puzzle games, platform games....take another look because there are some amazing games on there that people simply overlook because they just think its all BEUs! http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/masterlist.htm

And I totally agree with The legend of success joe! Now that's truly an awful game and wouldn't look out of place on a MD or SNES! No wonder it never made it out of Japan!

Another game I don't particularly like is Super dodgeball, not just the Neo version but any, I always read good reviews about these games but can't see what all the fuss is about, nice graphics but annoying gameplay.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 am

I found Magician lord devilishly tricky in some places and some cheap deaths lie in wait.
Not a fan of most of the beat em ups on the Neo - art of fighting is probably my least favourite - looks ok till it moves and tbh I just find it laboured. King of fighters is ok , samurai showdown too though some iterations are definitely better than their earlier counterparts (also found the NGPC KOF/metal slug games surprisingly good). For me as a young un Neogeo stuff seemed like cheapo rip offs of other games. Now as a more experienced gamer my opinion isn't much different but I've only owned a NGPC & NGCD and played Snk arcade classics so I've probably not had the best experience of the catalogue on offer.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:42 am

junkmale wrote:The vast majority of them tbh.
I am not a fan of fighting games, but I have over 40 Neo Geo games on AES, CD and Pocket, and only 7 of them are fighting games, the console has so much more to offer IMO than most people realise, I have enjoyed some great platformers, shoot-em-ups and puzzlers, and arcade racers.

I too think the Super Spy and Crossed Swords games are pretty poor, and Magician Lord on AES is just stupidly hard in places, and the CD release with it's continue system is ridiculously easy, really not worth the praise it got IMO.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 am

One I do at least want to try is Mutation Nation - I do like a scrolling beat em up and it cant be any worse than double dragon.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 am

AmigaJay wrote: Another game I don't particularly like is Super dodgeball, not just the Neo version but any, I always read good reviews about these games but can't see what all the fuss is about, nice graphics but annoying gameplay.
Mind if I ask what makes you say that?

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 pm

"Art Of Fighting" is pretty poor.

"Garou" as another game that I just don't get the hype over as well. :?

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Bobinator wrote:
Mind if I ask what makes you say that?
I just find it boring throwing a ball against someone, it's very repetitive and annoying when it constantly gets fired against you...just not the sort of game I find mildly amusing or fun....