Best Contra bosses

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Stuart@retrogamer

Best Contra bosses

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:08 am

What are your favourite bosses from the series? Which were the most gruelling, imaginative and downright bizarre. We'd like to know.

Cheers guys.

samhain81

Re: Best Contra bosses

Post by samhain81 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 am

Contra 3/Super Probotector

THIS RIGHT HERE

Not the hardest of bosses, but one of the most visually pleasing of all the contra bosses.

Best use of Mode 7 as well.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:29 am

samhain81 wrote:Contra 3/Super Probotector

THIS RIGHT HERE

Not the hardest of bosses, but one of the most visually pleasing of all the contra bosses.

Well said Sir . . . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 am

THIS RIGHT HERE

Yep, second this (or third this). From the claws ripping the doors open to the 2 leaping units...its always referred to as the "terminator" style boss (in most reviews I've read) but I prefer to pretend I'm blasting away at a giant Snatcher "Bioroid"...but that's just me :roll:
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm

That boss was great, wasn't it? I can still remember when I first saw it. Great stuff. :)

The GBA version apparently left out the top-down view Mode 7 stages and added some (brand?) new levels. Were they any good?

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Alarm wrote:That boss was great, wasn't it? I can still remember when I first saw it. Great stuff. :)

The GBA version apparently left out the top-down view Mode 7 stages and added some (brand?) new levels. Were they any good?
They were all taken from Contra Hard Corps. Only they took out the ability to slide. You know, the thing you need to not die.

Speaking of Contra Hard Corps. Wanna know what's great? Contra Hard Corps. Unlike Contra 3, Hard Corps is pretty much boss fights all the time. Which, if that's your thing, is awesome. And it IS my thing.

So the highlight would be the secret battle arena in stage 3. If you manage to find it, you can end up fighting three secret bosses before getting a secret boss. First you fight Simon Belmont with an afro, who throws boomerang fish at you. And then you fight a giant alien mother wheeling around a carriage, complete with a giant... mutant... baby thing inside. And then a wormhole opens up, and then... well, that's the game, to not spoil anything.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Bobinator wrote:
Alarm wrote:That boss was great, wasn't it? I can still remember when I first saw it. Great stuff. :)

They were all taken from Contra Hard Corps. Only they took out the ability to slide. You know, the thing you need to not die.
Interestingly, there were apparently two versions released for the GBA. Good old Wikipedia.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Not my favourite to play, that would be Level 4, but this thing is just so freaky;
Image.

WTF IS THAT GUY'S FACE DOING THERE ?!!
Also level 3's sub-boss, the thing that follows you up the side of the tower, is also super awesome.
Bobinator wrote:They were all taken from Contra Hard Corps. Only they took out the ability to slide. You know, the thing you need to not die.
You mean skill ? :twisted:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm

tekaotaku wrote:

THIS RIGHT HERE

Yep, second this (or third this). From the claws ripping the doors open to the 2 leaping units...its always referred to as the "terminator" style boss (in most reviews I've read) but I prefer to pretend I'm blasting away at a giant Snatcher "Bioroid"...but that's just me :roll:

Another vote for that one - it looked absolutely incredible at the time. I'd also vote for the Steel Dragon from the Final Gauntlet. To this day, the way the score suddenly shifts into an Aliens-esque theme remains one of my favourite musical moments

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:42 pm

CIH wrote:Not my favourite to play, that would be Level 4, but this thing is just so freaky;
Image.

WTF IS THAT GUY'S FACE DOING THERE ?!!
Also level 3's sub-boss, the thing that follows you up the side of the tower, is also super awesome.
Bobinator wrote:They were all taken from Contra Hard Corps. Only they took out the ability to slide. You know, the thing you need to not die.
You mean skill ? :twisted:
OK, try beating Hard Corps without ever sliding, and you let me know how much skill it takes.'

Go on. I'll wait. :P

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:19 am

I quite liked the GB version (Operation C) bosses - maybe not the biggest technical achievements, but damn fun, the top down heading up the screen bosses were a little different, like the huge spider with the laser etc!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 am

The Turtle Wall Boss at the end of the 1st level of Contra3/Super Probotector was awesome. The mech skeleton at the end of the 3rd stage used to scare me!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm

For me, the best Contra boss is the one at the top of the waterfall stage.

He looks properly alien (if you catch my drift) and he's a lot of fun to fight. The proverbial cherry on the top of the best level in the game.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 am

Facing off against the strange plane, robot, alien hybrid that is the last boss of Contra Shattered Soldier. Not only is it one of the cruelist journeys in gaming but actually seeing the last level in the game is a feat in itself! I've never conquered that boss but I was always impressed with the battle.