Should I get a 'VICTOR JAPAN' SEGA SATURN'? Help needed!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DZ_1984

Should I get a 'VICTOR JAPAN' SEGA SATURN'? Help needed!

Post by DZ_1984 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:31 am

Hey guys. I've been toying with the idea of getting a japanese Sega Saturn for a looong time; it's kind of one of those crazy purchases I've always wanted to make! Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a 'V-Saturn', which is a 'Victor Japan' version of the Saturn. What do you guys reckon? Are they good? How much should I pay?

Look forward to your advise!

Cheers,

DZ

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:10 am

If you just want it to play Japanese Saturn games then you can't go wrong with the bog standard Grey or White models. You should be able to pick one up for about £20 if you know where to look.

DZ_1984

Re:

Post by DZ_1984 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 am

Ash wrote:If you just want it to play Japanese Saturn games then you can't go wrong with the bog standard Grey or White models. You should be able to pick one up for about £20 if you know where to look.
Ok, cheers, I wouldn't mind getting a Universal one (do they exsist?)

Um, where would be the best place to look...?

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:57 pm

You can get a PAL Saturn modified to play all games but its probably easier to get a jap model these days. Failing that you could get the Action Replay 4in1. It's a memory card, a converter, a RAM expansion and something else I forgot. Just plug into any Saturn and off you go.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Get a modded pal saturn, or a standard jap one. While the white and later models are nice, they don't all play every game...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:05 pm

Yeah, I vote for a PAL one, modded. Me & my bro got ours done at CEX a while ago and it plays anything with a few button presses.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:17 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Get a modded pal saturn, or a standard jap one. While the white and later models are nice, they don't all play every game...
Is that right? A mate of mine has a white Saturn and around 300 games. He's never mentioned any incompatibility problems before.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm

If you're gonna get a Jap one then yeah. Either the Hi or the V if you want something a bit different.

To be honest you can't go wrong with a bog standard UK one. Fit a switch to change between 50/60 modes (doesn't need much soldering) and get the Action Replay 4M plus.

You can get the AR 4M plus for a very reasonable price from here:
www.play-asia.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:13 am

How easy is it to get hold of a premodded saturn? I looked at the mod chip instructions and they scared the hell out of me.

Or is there a "non-invasive" way for me to make it play CDRs and imports.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 am

I got a White JAP saturn for £40 6 months ago. It's fantastic, no need to getting a fancy Victor one. Put the money you save towards Silvergun.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Are the white ones multiregion or something or was that not a reply to me?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:38 pm

The white ones just play Japanese games. Get the action replay for it and you'll be sorted.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:06 pm

Dudley if you want to play all games just get the Action Replay cart I linked to. But you will still need to fit a switch if you want to change between 50/60 modes which only needs 3 wires soldering. I haven't done it myself yet but I'm gonna do it as soon as I get a chance.

Also none of this means you can play cdr's. Even if you did the internal mod to play imports you couldn't.

However there is a simple hack which requires minimum soldering that I have also not tried yet. The same hack can even be done apparently on the Action Replay cartridge so when plugged in you can play backups.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:49 am

White Saturn and just original Jap games. There you go, sorted.
Remember if you play PAL games on a 60hz import machine, a number of the PAL releases were UK optimised and run slightly too fast and a little stretched. Main offender is Sega Rally which runs at a silly pace.
Even Panzer Saga was optimised a little, so it runs not quite right which is a bit of a git cos playing the Jap one is obviously not quite as much fun.
For the record, White Saturn=No problems with any games.
Best incompatability mess is Soukyugurentai on a UK Saturn - gets some amusing results when you try that one...
Oh and Burning Rangers is a bit quick off the mark too.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:19 am

Dudley wrote:How easy is it to get hold of a premodded saturn? I looked at the mod chip instructions and they scared the hell out of me.

Or is there a "non-invasive" way for me to make it play CDRs and imports.
Yeah, there is a swap disc trick you can do but it is a bit hit n miss and it's a lot easier with a modded one.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image