Anachronox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Anachronox

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 am

Does anyone remember that game? It was released by Ion Storm in 2001. Currently GoG has it available for download. I got it off of there. I remember that the game got very good reviews, but failed commercially.

It was a RPG game with a sci fi/cyberpunk atmosphere. It did feature turn based combat. I suppose it was similar to Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy in that way. It apparently ends on a cliffhanger. There was a planned sequel, but it never came about.

I only played a little bit of it when it was first released.

Anyone have any memories of the game they want to share?

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Anachronox

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Link for the Lazy

I remember the name but that's about it TBH....

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I still have the discs for this game, doubt they'll work though. I may have to buy this from GOG and maybe finally finish it. Great game. I have fond memories of this and Septera Core which I had at about the same time. you can get that from GOG too.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/septerra ... he_creator

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Great game, but but I also never finished it. I have I think I managed to get about 4 fifths of the way through, got a bit stuck and stopped. I may have to dig it out again soon.
HADDOCKEN!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 pm

It is a bit obscure a game, I grant you. Glad that I am not the only one who had heard of it.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 am

I still have it on PC. Imagine if someone tried to force a Deus Ex game into a Final Fantasy one. Without using lube.
It's not bad at all, it's just not that gripping. I barely got past the tutorial bits to be honest. Certainly one for the completionist to own! :D

From what I can recal of my version it only supported two resolutions: Really low res and super-duper high rez. At the time monitors couldn't kick out that high a rez so it looked like dogshit. It's probably been patched since 2001, but I'm not really that interested in going back to it yet.

One for the future I guess.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Freestyler wrote: it's just not that gripping. I barely got past the tutorial bits to be honest.

One for the future I guess.
It's alot better later on, but a slow burner to start with. Give it another shot.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah, I bought it back in the day, but it was terribly bugged when it came out and I struggled with it. I've got it from GOG though, and I definitely fancy having another crack.

Toops

Post by Toops » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 am

Yeah I do, though never got to play it. It was the final nail in John Romero's coffin as a once respectable programmer if I remember. Amazing how his and Carmack's careers were polar opposites.
Remember Lobotomy Software? Share your memories: Facebook Fanpage

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am

Played it, completed it, great game - recommended!

But it really starts slow.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Trickster wrote:Played it, completed it, great game - recommended!

But it really starts slow.
How long was it? Can you give us a potted review so I can decide whether or not to install it again. :D
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:20 am

Hmm, I can't... :)

I played it back in 2001 and I don't remember everything that well.
I know that at my first attempt I couldn't really get into it but I picked it up again half a year later or so and then I really liked it, especially when you leave the city Anachronox and Sender One. The environment is quite diverse and I liked the characters, voice work and music.
Nice atmosphere in some areas. I also liked most of the riddles.

I don't think it took me that long to finish. Maybe between 30 and 40 hours or so.

I can't say if it still stands the test of time but back then I really enjoyed it - and since this is a retro forum... :wink: